Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S, Old Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I'm considering trading my 2016 S90D for a new S (not plaid). Two questions arise:
  1. I have an older 80A Wall Charger. Will it charger the new cars (don't expect to be able to use the full 80A, but do I need a new Wall Charger)?
  2. Can I use my old mobile connector, or do I need to buy a new one of those?

I'm considering trading my 2016 S90D for a new S (not plaid). Two questions arise:
  1. I have an older 80A Wall Charger. Will it charger the new cars (don't expect to be able to use the full 80A, but do I need a new Wall Charger)?
  2. Can I use my old mobile connector, or do I need to buy a new one of those?
There were two versions of the 80A wall connectors. The old Gen1 versions had communication incompatibilities with the central computer in newer cars, so if your old car was a 2012 or 2013 or something, I would guess that you had a Gen1 wall connector. But your old car is a 2016, so I'm pretty sure that is the newer Gen2 wall connector that fixed that incompatibility, so it should be fine.

And yes, the mobile cable would be fine too.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I think I have a Gen1. The wall connector is about two years older than the S. I ordered a Tesla way back in 2014, and just before delivery my wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. I had to refuse delivery of the car.
Tesla very graciously (and unexpectedly) refunded my non-refundable deposit. They would have taken the wall charged back that I bought for the car, but I had installed it a few months earlier, so they couldn't take it back, which I completely understood.
About a year later my wife passed away. Four months later I bought the S (it was her wish that I buy the car I had to forgo when we learned of her illness). So the wall connector is 2014 vintage.
If the chart on this thread is correct, that means I have a Gen1.
I'll be asking the sales person at the showroom about this and a couple other things tomorrow (any bets on whether they know the answer?;)).

I'll be asking the sales person at the showroom about this and a couple other things tomorrow (any bets on whether they know the answer?;)).
Oh, yeah, that does look like yours is probably a Gen1. This started to show up in some threads here where old existing destination chargers at hotels that were Gen1 suddenly were found to not be able to charge brand new cars around 2016 or so. And there was some kind of timing conflict with the new MCU in the cars. They never could resolve it with software, so some of the hotels were having to ask for newer Gen2 wall connectors to fix that.

As to showroom people? Heh, very little chance of that. The company has grown so fast, it's rare to find people who have been there more than a few years, and most of them wouldn't have any idea about this kind of ancient minutiae. The collective old wisdom of this forum usually knows these old details better.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I think I have a Gen1. The wall connector is about two years older than the S. I ordered a Tesla way back in 2014, and just before delivery my wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. I had to refuse delivery of the car.
Tesla very graciously (and unexpectedly) refunded my non-refundable deposit. They would have taken the wall charged back that I bought for the car, but I had installed it a few months earlier, so they couldn't take it back, which I completely understood.
About a year later my wife passed away. Four months later I bought the S (it was her wish that I buy the car I had to forgo when we learned of her illness). So the wall connector is 2014 vintage.
I hope you have started to do better now. It's terrible to have to go through something like that. Friends and family can help, and ultimately some people decide to seek a new relationship again.

Do you have free unlimited Supercharging on your Model S? That is a really nice feature and I think your Model S might go for a higher selling price if you sold it on here. Just be sure you go through all the proper procedures with the bank if you sell directly to someone (like you receive a verified bank check directly, proper insurance transfer, DMV paperwork etc.).

Thanks for the input, everyone! I did demo drives of both the new S and X (both non-plaid) yesterday. It was ... interesting.

The showroom manager never heard of anyone having any issues with charging newer cars on the Gen1 Wall Charger, but by the time he told me that I was already skeptical of his level of knowledge of the cars (another story).

My S does have free supercharging for life, but that only applies as long as I own the vehicle. If I sell it or transfer it to another person it goes away.

I had a gen 1 HPWC. When I upgraded my model S in 2018 the charger became unreliable (flashing red LED about 10% of the time), which I believe was the compatibility issue that others have mentioned. I ended up replacing it with a new one (Gen 3) and all is well. My suggestion to you would be to try your existing charger with the new car. If you have issues then replace it.