Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S/X "Gear Shifts"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you 100? Who doesn’t carry phone in 21 at century? And why it has to be big?
Would it matter if I was. I don't know about your phone but my phone is significantly larger than my model X key fob and the key fob I have ordered for my M3P. No, I do not feel the need to continually carry my phone with me and I choose not to have it when I don't need it. You should try and leave your phone at home one day, you may find you like it.

Would it matter if I was. I don't know about your phone but my phone is significantly larger than my model X key fob and the key fob I have ordered for my M3P. No, I do not feel the need to continually carry my phone with me and I choose not to have it when I don't need it. You should try and leave your phone at home one day, you may find you like it.
Mmm no thanks it defeats the purpose to have a phone that people can reach you on.

Since we have drifted to keys, do the new S and X come with a key fob? I used the fob on my X but have been fine with the phone on our 3. I do not like that X fob uses a battery not found in most stores.
I have never had to replace mine because Tesla always replace the battery when the car is serviced. I wasn't aware they were difficult to source ourselves but I can see that being a problem for some.

Reactions: WhiteWi
...But I like using my phone on my Model 3 better than the Fob on my Model X ;)
People are different I guess I prefer the fob on my X to the phone on the Model 3. The fob on the X allows you to shut doors, open doors, close everything, open the trunk/frunk and open/close the charge port just by sticking your hand in your pocket and feeling for the buttons. It can also do this from a disturbing distance away. Doing that on the phone is certainly more inconvenient surely.

Even the fob on the 3 allows you to remotely open the trunk/frunk without having to muck about on your phone.

Personally I prefer not having to have my phone in my pocket while dropping into shops and the like but some people prefer to.

By the way you can use your phone to open and drive a Model X it just doesn't do the automatic unlock and lock.

The fob on the X allows you to shut doors, open doors, close everything, open the trunk/frunk and open/close the charge port just by sticking your hand in your pocket and feeling for the buttons. It can also do this from a disturbing distance away.
Nobody asked me but this is the best part of the fob IMO.

When I'm single in my M3P, which most of the time I am, the phone wins hands down. It's just too easy. However, when I'm with the family in the X, there's no doubt that the fob is the better option.

Opening and closing the falcons take time and it's easiest to do it while walking up to/away from the vehicle. You can feel the fob in your pocket without looking and click everything you need to. Besides, you have to stand away from the falcons anyways while they do their thing. I prefer this over digging through an app. That said, if I were single in the X, I'd rather not carry and extra fob with me and just use my phone.

The one downside to the fob for me is that I've unintentionally triggered a door opening while it was in my pocket. My advice - don't wear tight pants :)

Nobody asked me but this is the best part of the fob IMO.

When I'm single in my M3P, which most of the time I am, the phone wins hands down. It's just too easy. However, when I'm with the family in the X, there's no doubt that the fob is the better option.

Opening and closing the falcons take time and it's easiest to do it while walking up to/away from the vehicle. You can feel the fob in your pocket without looking and click everything you need to. Besides, you have to stand away from the falcons anyways while they do their thing. I prefer this over digging through an app. That said, if I were single in the X, I'd rather not carry and extra fob with me and just use my phone.

The one downside to the fob for me is that I've unintentionally triggered a door opening while it was in my pocket. My advice - don't wear tight pants :)
I too have gone to my garage in the morning and found a door open because of a pocket error. Only happened a couple of times but it is a concern. I am interested in people preferring the phone as key though. I really don't like having the phone in my pocket especially if just looking round a shop in summer shorts or similar. Good job we have both options I guess.

Maybe it is a use case thing. I happen to do much of the shopping in my household so am often driving to shops and getting out the car for a relatively short time and returning with a load of shopping, The fob opening the doors is a great feature in this case. If you just generally drive to work and back I imagine the phone would work fine.

One issue I have noticed with the model 3 key strategy is that in order to ensure the car locks, everyone in the car has to remove any device they have that is configured as a key unless I am missing something.

In my Refreshed MSLR the auto shift is terrible. It is incorrect over 70% of the time. Here' are some samples. I've tried re-booting but nothing helps. I just keep sending Bug Reports.
1650323766246.jpeg
1650323865239.jpeg
1650323908414.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 61
In my Refreshed MSLR the auto shift is terrible. It is incorrect over 70% of the time. Here' are some samples. I've tried re-booting but nothing helps. I just keep sending Bug Reports.

We've had very good luck most of the time with the auto-shift in our new X. As far as I can tell, it's basically using the ultrasonics to detect objects around the vehicle, and use that to make a decision as to whether to use drive or reverse. I also think it takes into account what gear you were in before you put it in park (i.e. if you were in drive and put it in park, then it will tend to auto-select reverse). However, I also think it gets less accurate if there is nothing around your vehicle within the ultrasonic range. In this case, I think it defaults to drive, not reverse.

We almost always back into parking spaces, as it's safer on exit because you can more easily see cross-traffic. This is an advantage, as if it can't detect what it's supposed to do, it will select drive, which will be correct. You may try backing into parking spaces instead of using pull-forward and the prediction will likely be more accurate.