Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SDG&E has a new rate called EV-TOU-5. It looks like it will save me quite a bit. The way it works is you pay a fee of $16/month, and in exchange, you get a reduced super off-peak rate of about 9 cents/kWh. The other time periods are the same rates as EV-TOU-2. Note that if you are grandfathered into the old TOU time periods, that doesn’t appear to carry over.

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_EV-TOU-5.pdf

This new rate plan should be more economical compared to the other EV-TOU plans for most drivers. It's important to note, however, that this rate plan requires a separate meter for your EV. The super off-peak savings relative to EV-TOU and EV-TOU-2 is 14 cents/kWh, which means you need to consume $16/$0.14 = 114.3kWh at super off-peak times each month to break even. In a Model 3, for example, that equates to about 5500 miles per year, which the average driver probably exceeds. Of course if you own a home in SDG&E territory and consume a good amount of electricity at on-peak times, installing solar is probably still the most economical.

Last edited:
It's important to note, however, that this rate plan requires a separate meter for your EV.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. SDG&E goofed and copied language from EV-TOU when they wrote the original rate sheet, but it's been correct since then:

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/7-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU-5 Total Rates Table_0.pdf

The regulatory document in the first post never had any language about a separate meter, and I believe that is more authoritative. Also, SDG&E allowed me to sign up for EV-TOU-5 via my sdge.com account, and I don't have a separate meter.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
This has the potential to really help out EV owners in SDG&E territory. Will need some time to see how the details pan out, like needing your own meter and if it can be combined with solar generation.

I read the separate meter part from the bottom section ("Here are the three EV Plans at-a-glance") of the SDG&E EV plans page: Electric Vehicle Plans | San Diego Gas & Electric. Hopefully it's wrong, because it's a much better option than the other two EV-TOU plans.

I’m pretty certain that’s a mistake. Looks like their mistake propagated to that page, and then they corrected it in only one place.

Wow 9 cents / kwh super off peak that's almost SCE territory!
I just switched for this month's billing to EV TOU 2, will see if I can switch again !

Assuming 12kmi a year charged at home at 4mi / kwh = 250kw/h per month

Current EV TOU 2: $57 (22.8cents/kwh)
New EV TOU 5 : (119 kwh for $16) + (250-119)*.0937 = $28.27

NICE!

You don't get 119kwh for 16 dollars. That's just a fixed fee.
Seems like a simple decision if you already have a second meter, if solar generation credit from the main meter still offset the bill, and you are not grandfathered into the original TOU periods (was peak noon -6p)... Basically some issues to sort through still for most

I don't think you calculated it correctly. The $16 is a charge independent of usage that you pay every month to be on the plan. Then you take your 250 KWh time the rate of $0.0937 to it would be $16 + $23.43 = $39.43. Effective price = $0.1577/KWh. Suppose you only used 100KWh. You monthly cost would be $16+$9.37=$25.37 so the effective price would be $0.2537/KWh. This plan reduces costs more if you use more but otherwise might cost you more.

You don't get 119kwh for 16 dollars. That's just a fixed fee.
Seems like a simple decision if you already have a second meter, if solar generation credit from the main meter still offset the bill, and you are not grandfathered into the original TOU periods (was peak noon -6p)... Basically some issues to sort through still for most

I don't think you calculated it correctly. The $16 is a charge independent of usage that you pay every month to be on the plan. Then you take your 250 KWh time the rate of $0.0937 to it would be $16 + $23.43 = $39.43. Effective price = $0.1577/KWh. Suppose you only used 100KWh. You monthly cost would be $16+$9.37=$25.37 so the effective price would be $0.2537/KWh. This plan reduces costs more if you use more but otherwise might cost you more.

Thanks for clarifying! I got too excited. Nevertheless a great deal. Will check with them today if it's requiring a separate meter or not.

I just called no separate meter ...however I cant change as got locked into EV-TOU2 tikl November :(

Thanks @P85_DA, followed your post in another topic to here.
This is my first month into EV-TOU-2, it seems EV-TOU-5 is only few days old.

My online account shows:
"You will be eligible to enroll in a new pricing plan after completion of your current 12-month commitment on June 05, 2019."

And it shows up as one of the plans you can select now (no separate meter):

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 9.58.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
I can see why they don't want people switching planning more than once a year, because the rates are seasonal, and you might be able to save too much (from SDG&E's point a view!) if you could avoid the ridiculous on-peak summer rate by switching plans. But EV-TOU-2 and EV-TOU-5 have virtually the same rates, except for super off peak. They really should allow people to switch between these plans, especially right now, because EV-TOU-5 was not an option until this month. But rules are rules, I guess.

This is really tempting - will likely change to TOU5 when the winter rates kick in... TOU 2 winter rates are pretty much the same between peak and super off peak, so the change in times matters little.
When are grandfathered folks going to get switched to new times? (Ie peak starts in the evening)..I vaguely remember that I'll be forced to new system Feb 2019

I agree EV TOU 5 is a no brainer for any Tesla owner, and should move EV TOU 2 users into it automatically..

I'm going Solar so wondering how the $16 work since I was planning to send energy at 28.6cents and charging at 22.8cents, so if it is now 9 cents I guess the $16 charge cannot be offset?