Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After registering my two vehicles EVCC emailed me to clear something up.

I asked her for an update earlier this week.

Response-

Good afternoon:

Your application has been updated and approved. Your credit will appear on your bill approximately two (2) months from this date. The credit amount is $850.00 per electric vehicle.

I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Sincerely,

Reactions: G35Rocker
I was able to verify that the amount of the EV climate credit will be $850 per qualified EV. Participants will be contacted to see if they want a bill credit (no tax consequence) or a check cut (potential tax consequence). Once that information is collected, then the credits or checks can start to roll out...

Cool didn't know it jumped to $850 this year (was 200, then 500, no mention on SDG&E website of the new amount yet).

Assuming most of us have solar, getting $850 credit will never get used, I knew you could get a check but now it would be considered income? Oh boy.

Cool didn't know it jumped to $850 this year (was 200, then 500, no mention on SDG&E website of the new amount yet).

Assuming most of us have solar, getting $850 credit will never get used, I knew you could get a check but now it would be considered income? Oh boy.

There's a lot more to the situation than saying the credit will never get used because you have solar. If that's really true, you can apply the credit to your gas account. Or you can use it to pay your electric account's minimum bill if you have that or the $16 monthly fee on EV-TOU5 if you are on that rate.

Or you can get some back in a check (under the $600 income reporting threshold) and apply the rest as a credit to either your gas or electric account. Plenty of options...

I wonder what they’ll do for 2020. Only 21,000 in San Diego County and parts of Orange doesn’t seem like much. I hope they continue doing something for existing EV owners.

CARB is restructuring the program and changing it to a point of sale program for new EV purchases going forward, especially since the Federal tax credit is being reduced for two manufacturers. Details for the new program are not finalized, so I'm not sure if there will be income limits, etc.

$1700 is now credited to my account

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Wow! Did you get an email? The last and only email from [email protected] was back in March when I applied.
Previous years they would send a "Status Update" email in June.
I received a "status update" email today from that email address stating that my application was accepted and that the credit would show up in one of the next 2 billing cycles.

And...I just logged into SDG&E and it appears that it has already showed up on my account. Says my balance is -$730.52. My current bill is $119.48, so that lines up.

Last edited:
I received a "status update" email today from that email address stating that my application was accepted and that the credit would show up in one of the next 2 billing cycles.

What does it say when you log into your sdge.com account? When I do that, I can see my balance has gone down by $850 from the last bill. This happened sometime after my bill was generated last week.

.....hmmm can’t change rate plan online ??:eek:
You can't request a rate change to TOU-5 on the SDG&E website. You have to download a .pdf form, fill it out and mail it to SDG&E, or (better and quicker) scan the completed form as a .pdf and e-mail it to the address on the form.

I couldn't find the form online, so I called SDG&E Customer Service and they quickly pointed me to it. The rate change to TOU-5 was approved within a week, but I got no acknowledgement and it wasn't obvious when I checked on the website. After a month I called to check on the status and was surprised to learn I had been on the new rate plan for the previous month. Ironically, if I'd waited one more day, my billing cycle was then complete and I could see it on the statement.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and gaswalla
I agree EV TOU 5 is a no brainer for any Tesla owner, and should move EV TOU 2 users into it automatically..

I'm going Solar so wondering how the $16 work since I was planning to send energy at 28.6cents and charging at 22.8cents, so if it is now 9 cents I guess the $16 charge cannot be offset?

Your solar production will be credited at the rate for the time of day it is produced, but it's not real obvious unless you study the bill for a really long time. For smaller or "balanced" solar systems, the net effect is simply a reduction in the number of kWh for that TOU category. Example: for the billing cycle you used 200 kWh off-peak, but you produced 75 kWh during off-peak hours, so your bill is 200 - 75 = 125 kWh off peak. You're credited for those 75 hours, but it's in the form of a net reduction in off-peak kWhs - it's not specified anywhere on the bill.

You'll only see a dollar credit if you produce, in total, more kWh than you consume for the entire month In that case, the dollar amount of credit is shown in a separate billing section titled "Electricity Generation." That section won't be on your statement if you produced less than you consumed, but your "consumption" is, in fact, reduced by the amount of production.

Figuring out whether $16 monthly fee for TOU-5 is worthwhile is pretty simple math. $16 / month is about 50 cents per day. If your super off peak rate was 22.8 cents, and under TOU-5 it will be 9 cents, you'll save 13.8 cents per kWh. If your average consumption (EV charging + home consumption) exceeds 4 kWh of super off peak per day (~160 kWh/month), EV-TOU-5 will save you money. Even one hour per night charging any Tesla is more than 4 kWhs. Also remember there's a $10 minimum per month that you'll pay anyway.

• Disagree
You can't request a rate change to TOU-5 on the SDG&E website. You have to download a .pdf form, fill it out and mail it to SDG&E, or (better and quicker) scan the completed form as a .pdf and e-mail it to the address on the form.

I couldn't find the form online, so I called SDG&E Customer Service and they quickly pointed me to it. The rate change to TOU-5 was approved within a week, but I got no acknowledgement and it wasn't obvious when I checked on the website. After a month I called to check on the status and was surprised to learn I had been on the new rate plan for the previous month. Ironically, if I'd waited one more day, my billing cycle was then complete and I could see it on the statement.

You're replying to a post from over a year ago. You can definitely switch plans online in some circumstances. It sounds like maybe you weren't already on an EV plan, so you had to go through the additional step of affirming that you own an EV.