TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Summon Beta

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BestRadar, Apr 1, 2017.

1. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Can someone please explain the benefit to this? Or explain how it really works. It seems to me all you can do is make the car go slowly forward and backwards. Is it supposed to automatically pull out of a parking spot and come to you. How does it know where you are located? Can anyone make a video of this actually doing this? I stood in front of my driveway and I could only seem to get the car to go back and forth,

2. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

If your 1 car garage or tight parking space keeps you from opening your door, you can get out and place the car in the space and retrieve it when you want to leave.

3. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

So I guess this is not Smart Summon?

Smart Summon
    With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

4. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

Is this AP2 only?

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oops, sorry. No, that feature is not implemented yet. Maybe in 6 weeks (is that the correct Latest Estimated Date of the Next Big Thing?)

6. Haxster

Haxster Member

Summon with the Tesla phone app almost feels like you're controlling a giant RC car (which you sort of are). It's pretty cool.

That said, I'm able to get it in and out of my garage if it's pointed in and has a fairly straight shot. I haven't been able to get it to successfully back in though. The best I could do was part way. I have about 18" clearance on each side.

7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Was demonstrating it yesterday in a parking space. Reverse worked fine - but when I tried going forward, the car started turning - so I stopped it.

8. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

April fool's perhaps?

9. HumbleDriver

HumbleDriver Member

I tried this last night and am in agreement with OP. It doesn't seem to turn the slightest bit so you have to make sure you are perfectly lined up before executing - you spend way more time doing that then actually just parking the car + you get to fret as your car backs up! Until it can actually align itself with the garage etc. this feature will remain firmyl unused for me. Sorry!