Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger expansion model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned this being a possibility on another thread a few weeks back, and I've come to 3 reasonable conclusions, not sure which is the correct one:

1. I am smart enough to work for Tesla. (not confirmed, but likely)

2. Tesla people read these forums. (confirmed)

3. This is actually a common sense plan for everyone involved. (Most likely)

Either way, this is great news if they can find a few regional chains to partner with to expand coverage, as well as alleviate possible congestion concerns.

Tesla’s quiet talks with this company could help redefine the gas station as we know it

• Disagree
Reactions: forumman83
There was a big thread about basically this a while back on the Tesla forum. Started off as a concept for a new type of business that catered to EV chargers, Tesla in particular, but evolved into a conversation about partnerships with existing chains. I hope this happens - because these types of partnerships will only help people convert to EV.

I mentioned this being a possibility on another thread a few weeks back, and I've come to 3 reasonable conclusions, not sure which is the correct one:

1. I am smart enough to work for Tesla. (not confirmed, but likely)

2. Tesla people read these forums. (confirmed)

3. This is actually a common sense plan for everyone involved. (Most likely)

Either way, this is great news if they can find a few regional chains to partner with to expand coverage, as well as alleviate possible congestion concerns.

Tesla’s quiet talks with this company could help redefine the gas station as we know it

@ModelNforNerd,

That's great and I'm all for it.....the more expansion the better but two points:

(1) I'd rather keep EV separate from ICE stations (though I understand the integration/mass acceptance/marketing aspect).....
(2) Why Sheetz??? They are only in 6 states on the east coast......not a good expansion attempt.....they should be talking with someone whose got a nationwide, well known footprint coast to coast if they are serious about rapid, quick expansion....I mean come on....he's already accelerating Model 3 production 2 years from 2020/2018..... Are we to wait for Sheetz first to "build out" another 3,500 stores coast to coast to then add Superchargers? How long will that take.....I would add to existing station infrastructure.....half a million cars within the next few years.....Teslas got to get ahead of this thing. I have no doubt they will...but there can be no missteps along the way.

Ski

@ModelNforNerd,

That's great and I'm all for it.....the more expansion the better but two points:

(1) I'd rather keep EV separate from ICE stations (though I understand the integration/mass acceptance/marketing aspect).....
(2) Why Sheetz??? They are only in 6 states on the east coast......not a good expansion attempt.....they should be talking with someone whose got a nationwide, well known footprint coast to coast if they are serious about rapid, quick expansion....I mean come on....he's already accelerating Model 3 production 2 years from 2020/2018..... Are we to wait for Sheetz first to "build out" another 3,500 stores coast to coast to then add Superchargers? How long will that take.....I would add to existing station infrastructure.....half a million cars within the next few years.....Teslas got to get ahead of this thing. I have no doubt they will...but there can be no missteps along the way.

Ski

To your second point, it's fair to note that the Sheetz guy is the only one who confirmed anything, there may be other talks happening behind the scenes.

"Tesla declined to comment on the negotiations with Sheetz, but acknowledged in a statement that it is actively courting gas stations, hotels and restaurants in its bid to install high-speed electric chargers across the country. Lorenz declined to say how many Sheetz stations may ultimately be outfitted with Tesla chargers."

We knew about hotels and restaurants as part of the Destination Charger program, but gas stations are a new wrinkle. And I would hope that Tesla is talking to either national chains, or multiple regional chains.

@ModelNforNerd,

Ski

I get what your'e saying - and I agree it would be ideal if it were a nationwide chain. But I can also envision there being multiple agreements even overlapping in geographical areas - it could end up that chains are vying for the business. I'm sure if they are in negotiations with Sheetz, there are other businesses in other regions of the country that are also being talked to.

I may be in the minority but I don't want a SC at a gas station. One reason I love EVs is I never have to visit the service stations anymore and be exposed to the fumes and pollution. I wouldn't mind if they built EV service centers with only SC and a convenience shop, that id get behind.

My in-laws live in a SC "black hole" dead in the middle of Virginia.

But they're less than 10 miles from a Sheetz. For selfish reasons, I'm hoping that the Farmville, VA Sheetz gets a Supercharger, as that would likely be the only gas station-installed SC I would NEED to use.

Most gas stations don't have the real estate required to house dedicated superchargers for cars that will be staying there 30+ minutes. The area where they should do everything possible to form a partnership with existing infrastructure are at existing service centers located on busy highways. Those super centers with their own dedicated exit/entances are extremely convenient.

Reactions: rabar10 and Booga
My in-laws live in a SC "black hole" dead in the middle of Virginia.

But they're less than 10 miles from a Sheetz. For selfish reasons, I'm hoping that the Farmville, VA Sheetz gets a Supercharger, as that would likely be the only gas station-installed SC I would NEED to use.
Your in-laws live near me. :)

As a prospective model 3 owner, I'm hoping this or something similar works out. It fits with the company's vision of making EV use more ubiquitous. I agree with another poster who said that Sheetz isn't exactly the most cosmopolitan place for Tesla to partner with, but Sheetz and similar "service plazas" make a lot of sense for medium and long distance trips. From what I have seen, most of the US highway system is not serviced by SC locations, making it a bit tedious to get to locations like the one you mentioned. This kind of thing fills in some of those gaps, and probably reduces the amount of time Tesla has to spend researching and permitting SC sites.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I'm surprised a nationwide chain with a "green" image (or wanting to at least project a green image) hasn't signed on to be a dedicated SC partner. Think about it - you have frequent, typically affluent visitors who must hang around at least 30 minutes on your property. Sales are likely to increase for the partner (think Starbucks or Panera Bread or Chipotle or something). All for the cost of about 8 parking spaces and maybe another 100 square feet of transformers/electrical work. I'd think the deal would be so attractive that the partner would give the land for free or even contribute to construction costs.

I think a lot of people have had similar ideas. I know I suggested over a year ago that they should partner with restaurant chains such as McDonalds which are located almost everywhere and often open 24 hours.

Partnering with regional gas stations could be interesting, especially with chains such as Kum & Go.

@esk8mw While a nice thought, most of the chains you speak about are franchises. The Franchisee does not own the property, but rather leases it. So, for a national chain to somehow do such a thing would require negotiations with hundreds or thousands of landlords and renegotiating leases to include additional use of common areas, easements for utility companies, liability insurance waivers, etc.

I'm surprised a nationwide chain with a "green" image (or wanting to at least project a green image) hasn't signed on to be a dedicated SC partner. Think about it - you have frequent, typically affluent visitors who must hang around at least 30 minutes on your property. Sales are likely to increase for the partner (think Starbucks or Panera Bread or Chipotle or something). All for the cost of about 8 parking spaces and maybe another 100 square feet of transformers/electrical work. I'd think the deal would be so attractive that the partner would give the land for free or even contribute to construction costs.

I may be in the minority but I don't want a SC at a gas station. One reason I love EVs is I never have to visit the service stations anymore and be exposed to the fumes and pollution. I wouldn't mind if they built EV service centers with only SC and a convenience shop, that id get behind.

I guess you won't want to charge here (Needles, CA):

image-jpg.79523