Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They’ve got all the conduit run and they’re starting to connect everything. The conduit going off to the left is going to the powerwalls.

62BEFC6D-22D9-4041-A68B-27A7F9410997.jpeg

Thanks for all the photos! so fascinating to see it go up and you must be excited at this point knowing your wait is over...well except for the PTO! We're thinking we'll get scheduled in the not to distance future and anxious to get going at this end. We have a 3PW system and I'm guessing we'll also get 2 inverters?? Keep the photos coming. Work looks very neatly done. After seeing your earlier pre-install photos, it looks like you went for putting the equipment outside further from the street? and I see that you went with indoor placement of the PWs. Did you figure out garage storage yet or still winging it?

Reactions: willow_hiller
Thanks for all the photos! so fascinating to see it go up and you must be excited at this point knowing your wait is over...well except for the PTO! We're thinking we'll get scheduled in the not to distance future and anxious to get going at this end. We have a 3PW system and I'm guessing we'll also get 2 inverters?? Keep the photos coming. Work looks very neatly done.

1 or 2 inverters will depend on the size of your PV array. How much solar are you getting?

Thanks for all the photos! so fascinating to see it go up and you must be excited at this point knowing your wait is over...well except for the PTO! We're thinking we'll get scheduled in the not to distance future and anxious to get going at this end. We have a 3PW system and I'm guessing we'll also get 2 inverters?? Keep the photos coming. Work looks very neatly done. After seeing your earlier pre-install photos, it looks like you went for putting the equipment outside further from the street? and I see that you went with indoor placement of the PWs. Did you figure out garage storage yet or still winging it?

Yeah, I went back and forth on powerwall’s in the garage or outside for a while, but I finally decided that it would be better to go with in the garage. It will keep them out of the sun and temperature extremes, so they should use a little less energy to manage their temperature. It will also make them less visible. I’m definitely giving up some garage space, but I’ll figure out some additional storage option after they are done. Maybe I’ll install some shelves above the powerwalls.

Reactions: ElectricCyclist
Limited roof space thanks to all our bathroom vents! so had to go with Medium (7.56kW).

I would guess that you would have 1 inverter, not 2, based on that size but it also depends on the layout. One inverter is a bit more aesthetically pleasing, since its not "another box" on the side of the home, but the design of your system is likely already done so they can tell you if its one or two inverters you are specc'ed for.

@BrettS , keep the pics coming, I always enjoy this stuff even though I already have solar on my roof, etc. I get to re-live the excitement I felt when I got the system all over again :)

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
So exciting and thanks for posting these photos. So far you are happy with the work the crew is performing?

Yeah, definitely. They have all been working incredibly hard and in talking to them it’s clear that they really want to do a good job and do it right. With some contractors you get the feeling that they’re trying to work as quickly as possible just to get the job done. But these guys are willing to spend a little extra time to make sure the conduit runs and such are as clean and hidden as possible and they are making sure that the job is done well and not just done. They had done some work in the attic and had to enter from a hatch in my bedroom closet. After they finished the work one guy came in to vacuum the little bit of dust and insulation that had fallen onto the closet floor.

@BrettS when they are all done could you take a photo of the equipment wall and label what everything is? My husband was wondering what all the boxes were to the right of your main panel. The Disconnect box and the inverters I recognize but had no idea what the use for the others would be. Oh and it looks like the Gateway is next to the main panel. Thanks.

The guys doing the panels are starting to pack up and will be coming back to finish tomorrow. They left about 12 or 15 unmounted panels in the garage. The electricians have the powerwalls and inverters completely connected and they are working on transferring my loads to the new backed up panel. I think they’ll probably head out as soon as they finish that.

Sounds like they are anticipating getting everything finished tomorrow. Once they leave I’ll take some more pictures showing how far they have gotten.

Reactions: Janus
The electricians are still finishing up, but here is where they left the panels:

The front of the house gets two more rows of three
EE33D990-F367-4B8C-A617-CDB791FBB91A.jpeg

The side gets one more single panel at the top:
712797D6-FF95-4FEF-8BB2-9D45E7AB42BC.jpeg

And the back gets a single panel at the top on the left and two more rows of three on the right:
43B25129-ADB9-4D62-8D58-0E44F827355A.jpeg

They also started painting the conduit. They are using paint I had that matches the house, but they provided the brush and the labor.
4E9BFD79-2CBC-440F-BE8C-D5DD5BBD4F5D.jpeg

@BrettS when they are all done could you take a photo of the equipment wall and label what everything is? My husband was wondering what all the boxes were to the right of your main panel. The Disconnect box and the inverters I recognize but had no idea what the use for the others would be. Oh and it looks like the Gateway is next to the main panel. Thanks.

The two boxes on the right of the window are the inverters. The conduit going up is going to the solar panels and the conduits going down is the AC power coming from the inverters.
A39307FE-675D-42A6-9766-86D415AEE155.jpeg

For the boxes below, going from right to left, the bottom right is the solar panel, which has one breaker each for the two inverters. Above that is the solar disconnect. To the left of the disconnect is the generation panel. It’s got a breaker for the inverters and one breaker each for the four powerwalls. To the left of that is my backed up loads panel. This is where they transferred all of the circuits from the original main panel. Left of that is the gateway and on the far left is the meter and the original main panel. The 200amp breaker in the main panel will disconnect me from the grid and any breakers in the main panel would be powered, but not backed up by the powerwalls (I don’t have any non backed up loads though, they transferred everything to the backed up loads panel).
117A32BB-D522-416C-A6B2-38020BBF552A.jpeg

The other thing I’ll say is that they definitely care about their worker safety. They strap themselves to the roof whenever they are working on the roof and they also had a sheet that everyone needed to sign to indicate that they got a break and had some water every hour, since it’s so hot today.

Hey that looks like a very clean install. Thanks for the equipment info.

Glad to hear about the anchoring and safety straps and that the guys are being looked after. I had hoped our solar would have fallen under electrical/construction and essential at least in the wildfire areas here so that with the backlog of installs they have here more could have been done during cooler weather. Counties here didn’t feel it was important enough although getting shopping centers and new developments built was.

For covid safety protections out here they have to have a on-site supervisor responsible for distancing where possible, PPE, and the guys follow other protocols.

They’re pilling some flex conduit into the attic. (On a side note I just realized that I really need to repaint my garage or at least try to clean up the walls and the door and that panel a bit)

23F5DCB1-D827-4767-AFA4-9DBD60E25293.jpeg

And they’ve got the inverters open and they’re getting ready to pull the DC cable for the four strings into the conduit.

A920FC41-E56C-45B6-AAED-8494D6938BFF.jpeg

972156D9-8253-4E6C-A368-A9E77DDED417.jpeg

Reactions: Janus and mongo
Newbie here. Also in Orlando area (Altamonte Springs) and trying to decide whether to go solar. Looking at 12.24 system, no powerwalls. $17390, but not sure if additional equipment would be required to tie into my current box. Anyway to tell that?

Newbie here. Also in Orlando area (Altamonte Springs) and trying to decide whether to go solar. Looking at 12.24 system, no powerwalls. $17390, but not sure if additional equipment would be required to tie into my current box. Anyway to tell that?

If you’re doing solar only it’s a lot less complicated since you don’t need a transfer switch. You would obviously need one or more inverters and you may need a disconnect, but Tesla will take care of everything that needs to be added to get things connected for you. When you sign up for the install they will have you do a home assessment survey where they will ask you to take pictures of your existing panels and such so the engineers can see what you have and figure out how to tie everything in.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot