Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 15.12kW Solar / 4 Powerwall order in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Still trying to decide. What's the formula for calculating cost/w?

Simply take the cost ($17390 from what you posted before) divided by the number of watts (12.24kW or 12240 watts from what you posted before). And you get $1.42 per watt. It gets a little more complicated if you add powerwalls to the mix, since then you need to decide whether you include the powerwalls in the cost or not, but in your case with straight solar it’s quite simple:)

They’ve got three panels left to mount and the lead is working on commissioning the gateway and the powerwalls. He said I’ll be able to add the powerwalls to my Tesla app soon:)

Edited to add that I also mentioned the powerwall frequency issue, since I have UPS’s and a lot of LED lights and he seemed to be at least vaguely aware of the concern. He said he would talk to them and see if they can lower the frequency for me. I’m not going to push too much though and if they can’t lower it now then I’ll just call on my own after they leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
They’ve got three panels left to mount and the lead is working on commissioning the gateway and the powerwalls. He said I’ll be able to add the powerwalls to my Tesla app soon:)

Edited to add that I also mentioned the powerwall frequency issue, since I have UPS’s and a lot of LED lights and he seemed to be at least vaguely aware of the concern. He said he would talk to them and see if they can lower the frequency for me. I’m not going to push too much though and if they can’t lower it now then I’ll just call on my own after they leave.

That is really exciting looking forward to hear once you get them in your app how responsive the app is. Currently I have solar only installed with Powerwalls coming in the next month or so and my app doesn't seem to update much but I have been told the solar only systems update every 15 minutes. I hope when the powerwalls are installed and the backup gateway becomes the brains of the operation that we can see realtime usage when viewing the app. I want to see when my AC turns on the update in the app showing my house usage increasing etc.

All the panels are up now. They’re still working on the skirts on the sides.

AE7CAF01-FAE3-4269-8345-4E5FEC2E91CB.jpeg

4536CD12-9853-46E8-A44F-4BF0222D10AB.jpeg

3DA3391C-392C-4DC1-8A34-E23C147CE27D.jpeg

Thanks for the progress photos @BrettS !

You mentioned in another thread that you partially financed the panels? I have heard Tesla is directing orders to third party financiers like Mosaic or Sunlight Financial; was your financing third party? And if so, was there much flexibility around the loan term/down payment/etc.? We're hoping to take out a bridge loan to cover us until the tax credits, but placing our order under "Loan" has automatically put "20 year loan" on my order information sheet.

That is really exciting looking forward to hear once you get them in your app how responsive the app is. Currently I have solar only installed with Powerwalls coming in the next month or so and my app doesn't seem to update much but I have been told the solar only systems update every 15 minutes. I hope when the powerwalls are installed and the backup gateway becomes the brains of the operation that we can see realtime usage when viewing the app. I want to see when my AC turns on the update in the app showing my house usage increasing etc.

you can totally see that, when you have powerwalls installed. I can have my app open, put toast in the toaster or turn on the single serve coffee maker I have, and see the increase in usage in roughly 2 seconds or less.

Thanks for the progress photos @BrettS !

You mentioned in another thread that you partially financed the panels? I have heard Tesla is directing orders to third party financiers like Mosaic or Sunlight Financial; was your financing third party? And if so, was there much flexibility around the loan term/down payment/etc.? We're hoping to take out a bridge loan to cover us until the tax credits, but placing our order under "Loan" has automatically put "20 year loan" on my order information sheet.

There weren’t a lot of options going through Tesla. It was actually kind of interesting... as I mentioned earlier in the thread I placed an order, then I wound up canceling and placing a new order. For the first order they sent my loan to sunlight financial and for the second order it went to mosaic. The terms were the same in both cases. I believe that the terms are dictated by Tesla. I don’t recall any options to select a term or anything, but I wasn’t too worried about it. I’m actually intending to refinance to a loan with a better rate after I get my tax credit, but it was nice to do a solar loan initially because they will let me make lower payments even before the tax credit happens.

I’ve got access to the app and we fired up the system for a bit to test everything:)

59261DBC-6198-4D8E-A7FF-0C9364D001BE.jpeg

It’s partly cloudy today, so the solar generation was bouncing around as the clouds passed overhead. I saw it hit 12.9kW at one point, but I didn’t manage to screenshot it before it dropped down again. It seemed like it was in the high 12s when it was pretty close to being in full sun. Is that about what I should expect from a 15.12kW system? I know that there are some losses from the inverters and the fact that the panels aren’t all oriented in the same direction, so at least some of them are probably suboptimal at any given time.

There weren’t a lot of options going through Tesla. It was actually kind of interesting... as I mentioned earlier in the thread I placed an order, then I wound up canceling and placing a new order. For the first order they sent my loan to sunlight financial and for the second order it went to mosaic. The terms were the same in both cases. I believe that the terms are dictated by Tesla. I don’t recall any options to select a term or anything, but I wasn’t too worried about it. I’m actually intending to refinance to a loan with a better rate after I get my tax credit, but it was nice to do a solar loan initially because they will let me make lower payments even before the tax credit happens.

It looks like Tesla just removed the loan option from their website. I only see a cash option now. I hope this isn't the case.

I’ve got access to the app and we fired up the system for a bit to test everything:)

View attachment 555331

It’s partly cloudy today, so the solar generation was bouncing around as the clouds passed overhead. I saw it hit 12.9kW at one point, but I didn’t manage to screenshot it before it dropped down again. It seemed like it was in the high 12s when it was pretty close to being in full sun. Is that about what I should expect from a 15.12kW system? I know that there are some losses from the inverters and the fact that the panels aren’t all oriented in the same direction, so at least some of them are probably suboptimal at any given time.

You would be looking at "daily" production, not necessarily "peak" production. My system ins rated as 8.7 yet I never really see more than 7 in the app as peak generation, because the sun is moving over various roof planes etc. You will want to look at production over a day or couple of days (daily number) and the daily number on a sunny day should be more in line with what you expect, even if the peak number never hits the peak number of your system.

View attachment 555331

I think you're good. PVWatts shows a max of 10 kW (AC), so it looks like you are doing well. Remember, with he extra heat, you lose efficiency. Your best month should be May.

Effective angle cuts into the max generation. A 4/12 roof is 18 degrees. If the sun is directly overhead, the panels would get 5% less energy than if they were flat.

12.9/15.12 corresponds to a 31 degree angle to the sun, ignoring all other factors/ losses.

They'll reduce output when shading, but clouds can actually boost performance when the edges scatter more light onto the panels.

Thanks for the lesson:). I knew not to expect 15.12kW AC, but I didn’t know how much I should be expecting. Sounds like it’s about where it should be.

They are just buttoning everything up now and nearly done with the install. As soon as they finish I’ll take a few more pics of everything.

The lead is talking to support now to try to change my powerwall frequency (although he keeps telling them that I want to change the inverter frequency), so I’m not sure how that’s going to go. It seems like the support guy understands what I actually want though, however I’m beginning to think that it might have just been easier to call on my own after they leave.

Thanks for the lesson:). I knew not to expect 15.12kW AC, but I didn’t know how much I should be expecting. Sounds like it’s about where it should be.

They are just buttoning everything up now and nearly done with the install. As soon as they finish I’ll take a few more pics of everything.

The lead is talking to support now to try to change my powerwall frequency (although he keeps telling them that I want to change the inverter frequency), so I’m not sure how that’s going to go. It seems like the support guy understands what I actually want though, however I’m beginning to think that it might have just been easier to call on my own after they leave.

Both the solar inverters and powerwalls need to be adjusted to change the frequency range at which they request and respond to reduce power generation. Only changing the powerwall would result in the solar still generating when the batteries are full.