Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely get the reference but will say that this sort of straddles the line as far as comments toward a person in my opinion, in the way its being used here. Context matters, so of course calling someone a baby boomer isnt necessarily bad, it is just a generational marker, but implying "Ok boomer" is an insult.

Wasn't meant as an insult really and more an expression of an age category. As I said in a later message it just reminded me a bit of how my grandfather who was an engineer would talk when he didn't want to admit that he didn't fully understand some newer technology.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
A tip for potential buyers is that if you are not good with technology, don't buy a Tesla. If you have issues with your phone and you don't know how to diagnose it, don't buy a Tesla. Buy the FOB or use the card.

The car is really just a computer, so if you have no computer experience, don't get a Tesla.
That is really good advice. Wish I'd read it before I bought my Y last year. I do have computer experience, but I'm over 62 so the neurons get dimmer everyday. The gas savings is nice, but if I have to take a long trip I will rent a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: 73Bruin
That is really good advice. Wish I'd read it before I bought my Y last year. I do have computer experience, but I'm over 62 so the neurons get dimmer everyday. The gas savings is nice, but if I have to take a long trip I will rent a car.
Long trips are even better in Tesla! Since you have to stop for 20-30 minutes for charging, you will be stretching and walking or eating and as result arrive less tired. Also AP is god send during long road trips! Done multiple 2k round trips. Family of 5.

Trips are not bad in a Tesla, especially if you do planning in advance. If you need help in the future, just ask on the forum.

I’m 61
Just like everything in life the more you do something the easier it becomes.
you’re here so you obviously know how to use the interweb so look at some basic videos on YouTube.
save the ones that are helpful.
play with your car in the driveway to see what the screens do.
the Model Y is great on long trips.

As we age learning new things is actually beneficial to our brain health .
Dont give up on yourself

As an old fart Boomer myself, I feel entitled to express my intimate knowledge of Boomer Refusal and the use of the so-called Boomer Voice...

First, one of the essential parts of being said Boomer is never acknowledging personal responsibility, especially when it comes to tech things. One of the most used Boomer phrases is "This *&^% computer won't let me [insert what you're trying to do here]...". It's always the *&^&% computer's fault. So, even if the OP discovered that he was, in fact, trying to get into the wrong car --- and let me digress here for a moment. This is not unique to being a Boomer who owns a Tesla. I once spent 10 minutes trying to get my fob to unlock my Honda CRV, an effort that included going back into the mall and having the battery replaced only to return to my car and find it gone which, of course, was not surprising since it wasn't my car in the first place. Mine was over there, in the next row.

Where was I... yes, if the OP discovered he was trying to get into the wrong car this would in no way excuse Tesla for cancelling his service request, even if the cancellation was, in fact, a dropped call because *deep breath* I used to live out near where his car was parked and the cell service out there is about the same as the central Death Valley. I'm not saying anything about what actually happened, just saying that it's important to understand that, as a Boomer, when I discovered that the Honda I was trying to get into was not, in fact, my Honda, my immediate response was that the mall did a terrible job of marking the parking lot and how in the hell was I supposed to remember where I parked my car??? No wonder I was trying to get in the wrong car!

Not sure where this is going, except to note that another hallmark of this Boomer Refusal thing is that once all the evidence piled up to reveal that a) I was trying to get into the wrong car, b) the parking lot was, in fact, well marked with large signs mounted on light poles, which I had ignored, c) there was nothing wrong with "this useless piece of &^%$ key fob that needs a new *&^%$ battery every 20 minutes", and d) it was me all along... I simply refused thereafter to talk about what had happened. Just pretended nothing had happened, just pretended that was not a smirk on wife's face sitting there next to me, reminding me that she had SAID "this doesn't look like our car" (I know I left that part out... on purpose), and when my daughter asked me if anything interesting had happened at the mall I said NO!

Which, in my humble Boomer Voice opinion is why the OP has not returned to explain how this all turned out. We just don't talk about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.