Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Assist Unavailable in brand new MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking Assist is Unavailable in brand new MX.
I am wondering why such basic feature is not working in a brand new $100K car.
I contacted the service on October 3th and got a service date for November 15th.
I started to deploy mirrors in the garage, there is no audio warning and the camera does no show on the right/left front.
Parking is important, each journey start and ends with parking.
This is my first Tesla, is this normal?

We talking on self driving car, but in reality are we back to the '90s with no parking assistance?

This is a known shortcoming in all new Teslas since they took out the ultrasonic sensors. It is my understanding that at the time they notify you of your car’s VIN that they also have you sign an acknowledgment of this. I have not seen the actual document, but I have heard multiple people mention it.

The function of the sensors is to be replaced by vision. But it’s not there yet.

Parking Assist is Unavailable in brand new MX.
I am wondering why such basic feature is not working in a brand new $100K car.
I contacted the service on October 3th and got a service date for November 15th.
I started to deploy mirrors in the garage, there is no audio warning and the camera does no show on the right/left front.
Parking is important, each journey start and ends with parking.
This is my first Tesla, is this normal?

We talking on self driving car, but in reality are we back to the '90s with no parking assistance?

I guess you bought your car by faith without realizing the sonars are no longer on the new Tesla since 2022.

Now, it slowly comes back by cameras only to Model 3 and Y first then S and X next.

Some praise its accuracy some say it's quite inaccurate to be useful.

But it's coming!

This is a known shortcoming in all new Teslas since they took out the ultrasonic sensors. It is my understanding that at the time they notify you of your car’s VIN that they also have you sign an acknowledgment of this. I have not seen the actual document, but I have heard multiple people mention it.

The function of the sensors is to be replaced by vision. But it’s not there yet.

I can confirm this is correct. I received my VIN notification today and in the app it stated there are changes to my Tesla that I need to address before continuing. The next screen basically provided me with a waiver saying Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and that some functionality would be limited or absent as the vision technology progresses or something of the sort.

Reactions: Bigriver
I am so used to having one in my other vehicles that I was shocked that an advanced car like MX wouldn't have a front bumper mounted camera to facilitate 360 view and parking. Good news is I only lose $250 deposit for not researching this prior to ordering.

I think the park assist will be available after few days of driving. I also noticed that it will load the park assist data when you start the car. I don't remember exactly if it is every time or once a day. I didn't pay that much attention. I just drive the car and I saw the msg once in a while.

I am so used to having one in my other vehicles that I was shocked that an advanced car like MX wouldn't have a front bumper mounted camera to facilitate 360 view and parking. Good news is I only lose $250 deposit for not researching this prior to ordering.
Tesla's front facing cameras (three of them) have always been attached to the front windshield glass, inside. No need for one on the front bumper. Besides if there was one, I imagine it would be out of service more often than not, due to road grime. Winter grime often took out the front facing radar. But that has been disabled for about three years. Newer cars do not even have it installed. The cams attached to the glass puts them behind the W/S wiper. The three front facing side and rear, provide a 360 view automatically when needed. Plus you can manually turn on the rear+side view cams at any time you want, for precision spacing between the lines.

The Blind Spot view (turns on w turn signal) used to be stuck on the bottom of the display, but a recent software update, allows it to be positioned near the top, which is a huge improvement.

One thing to keep in mind is, there is a constant stream of updates that are automatically applied to the car. probably twenty or more per year. New features are frequently added, some affect driving, others cosmetic, like being able to position the blind spot camera. Spotify and later Apple Music were added as media sources. Overall the car is in a constant state of change.

Reactions: sbkim
Tesla's front facing cameras (three of them) have always been attached to the front windshield glass, inside. No need for one on the front bumper. Besides if there was one, I imagine it would be out of service more often than not, due to road grime. Winter grime often took out the front facing radar. But that has been disabled for about three years. Newer cars do not even have it installed. The cams attached to the glass puts them behind the W/S wiper. The three front facing side and rear, provide a 360 view automatically when needed. Plus you can manually turn on the rear+side view cams at any time you want, for precision spacing between the lines.

The Blind Spot view (turns on w turn signal) used to be stuck on the bottom of the display, but a recent software update, allows it to be positioned near the top, which is a huge improvement.

One thing to keep in mind is, there is a constant stream of updates that are automatically applied to the car. probably twenty or more per year. New features are frequently added, some affect driving, others cosmetic, like being able to position the blind spot camera. Spotify and later Apple Music were added as media sources. Overall the car is in a constant state of change.
Thank you - very helpful. I know each driver should be fully aware of their surroundings but having a camera low by the bumper can help identify something like this. I think the MX we test drove did beep as we got close to one of these barriers that wasn't easily visible from the front seat.

1697925461913.png

Reactions: Bigriver
Thank you - very helpful. I know each driver should be fully aware of their surroundings but having a camera low by the bumper can help identify something like this. I think the MX we test drove did beep as we got close to one of these barriers that wasn't easily visible from the front seat.
The ICD screen displays that information from about 36 inches down to 12 inches. It screams at you when you get closer than 12 inches. Cams are used for auto park too.

Last edited: