Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla? Nope, never again! Cherry Hill Tesla the worst.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it under warranty? Because I guarantee that any Lexus dealer didn't do this and leave the vehicle unrepaired without ordering the parts, and that being only temporary. Actually it's illegal, and if it wasn't under warranty they wouldn't simply state it was unfixable, they would offer to order the motor at cost to you, if not replace the entire door.
No, it was not under warranty. They said they were unable (unwilling?) to order parts to fix.

The car was 13 years old, so it is conceivable that parts were hard to come by. But the 3rd party shop I went to next had no problem fixing it for less than the Lexus shop charged me to say they couldn't fix it.

Translation - "I just want to read positive things about Tesla... I didn't have to read this thread and further didn't need to comment on the thread but here I am, complaining that I can't skim the TMC forum without seeing the occasional rant about Tesla sucky service".

Not really. As I clearly said, it's the generalizations I find really really tedious - "I had a Mac once and it broke so all Macs suck", "I had a Ford that had expensive repairs once so all Fords suck" is the kind of childish nonsense that's a waste of everyones' time. I'm really interested in genuine experiences with Tesla - I'm on the same journey - but I'm not interested in hyperbole.

If you value your sanity, don’t!

If you do it regardless, refer back to this post after you’ve found yourself needing service (which, with a Model 3, if you have any reasonable expectations, will be very soon after delivery).
Sorry to hear about the experience. However, why are you not using mobile service from the app - we live in Truckee CA and they come to us at home from Reno or Rocklin. We have two Teslas and service needs have been light and all but one they have come to my office/home and addressed. Could Tesla service be better sure, but my experience is good to good+. Also I owned two Mercedes' (and E and an R) and the service was great but that was because of the amount if time they were in for service I got to experience it a lot. Also based on three co-workers experience with 2 Audis and a Porsche I am thinking they need to write on this forum

Reactions: NoMoGas
Not really. As I clearly said, it's the generalizations I find really really tedious - "I had a Mac once and it broke so all Macs suck", "I had a Ford that had expensive repairs once so all Fords suck" is the kind of childish nonsense that's a waste of everyones' time. I'm really interested in genuine experiences with Tesla - I'm on the same journey - but I'm not interested in hyperbole.
Amen!

Reactions: NoMoGas
For the panel gap issue, did you have to drop the car at the service center? if so, how long was the wait until you dropped off and left the service center?

I had the mobile tech come out first, (there was an update to do on the frunk latch), and while there he looked at the rear panel gap. He removed the rear tail light to see if a clip was missed, but said that he couldn't fix that outside of the shop. I made an appointment to drop the car off at the Bellevue, WA Service Center where I picked up the. Model X to drive while they took care of the panel. They had the car for four days - they might have taken it to the Tesla Body Shop which is near the Service Center. In any case, it looked perfect when it was returned.

I should have noted that the wait for dropping it off at the Service Center after the mobile tech looked at it was only a few days.

No, it was not under warranty. They said they were unable (unwilling?) to order parts to fix.

The car was 13 years old, so it is conceivable that parts were hard to come by. But the 3rd party shop I went to next had no problem fixing it for less than the Lexus shop charged me to say they couldn't fix it.
Were they Toyo/Lexus OEM replacement parts? Because that is the only thing I could see for them refusing if parts were no longer available, which is possible if they changed the design of the door or motor.

Hyperbole would mean that these incidents are the exception, not the rule. It's well known and even acknowledge by pro-Tesla supporters/owners that their issues aren't on par with the industry at large. It's common for most video or print reviews to state that quality is subpar for vehicles in this price range, I don't think I've honestly ever seen or read one even from owners that effused profusely at how well it was built, more so that they were surprised it wasn't as bad as expected.

Elon Musk spends a lot of time talking to Tesla owners on Twitter, but the company's stores are terrible at responding to customers

That’s inaccurate. When you book an appointment through the app, that’s just for the service without regard to mobile or SC. If mobile service can perform the work, that’s how it gets scheduled. If only an SC can do it, then your nearest SC is booked.

It always makes me select a mobile service address. I cant select the SC right from the get go. I always have to wait for the texter to move it to an SC and then you never get the same date availability.

I have a BMW now, and was about to pull the trigger last night. For service do they not have a specific loaner program? I use my car for work and can't be without a vehicle. BMW and Mercedes are great with their loaners. I'm also not far away from you, and possibly would have to go here to take delivery. What were the service issues being addressed? I've been told by my advisor after expressing concern about quality, that most of what we've heard about is in the past.

To the poster above...service is part of the package. Lexus, BMW and Mercedes wouldn't have exploded in sales the past 20 years without a distinct differentiation between the brands. I would say a majority of the customers feel like they are getting total value.
Chalk me up as a member of the minority. Yes, I got a loaner every single time that I brought my 135i to the dealer. But the service department also took three visits to locate an AC refrigerant leak the first month of ownership, they bricked the radio, forgot to reconnect the audio on the right side after replacement, never fixed the “bouncing” passenger side window. Out of warranty, they billed, I forget how many ten hundreds of dollars for engine work that didn’t fix the problem. We’re talking ignition coils and other expensive labor intensive repairs. This was not an auto-megaplex, selling everything from Acura to Volvo, it was a dedicated “We only sell BMW and Mini” dealer. The last straw was a high-pitched whine from the radio. They diagnosed an internal problem and wanted to replace the radio for 1K. Took it to an independent shop that eased the radio out to actually look at it, and saw that the antenna was loose.

So, it’s painful to hear these stories about Tesla service. But it seems, from experience, and from friend’s accounts, that the problem cuts across almost all brands, except maybe Lexus? My last two cars: 1998 Audi A4 and 2008 135i, were time sucks that I had to schedule my day around because of design flaws or QC defects. And this was during the first 6 months. Chances are, though, that after 6 months without a single problem with my Model 3, maybe I won’t see a Tesla service center ‘til my first tire rotation?

They do a better job than Tesla for warranty repairs. But that is because their overhead is subsidized by all of the routine maintenance and out of warranty work that they charge substantial amounts for.

For a Model 3 there is virtually no routine service, so all the service center is going to do is warranty repair work for the first four years. That makes it a cost center versus the dealership model, where service is where they make the majority of their profit.

We are quick to point out how much better those companies are at providing service. But we often forget that we pay substantially for that service. And not all of us lease a new car every three years to avoid paying for maintenance. All that is doing is substituting heavy depreciation expense instead of maintenance expense. Either way is expensive compared to Tesla.

When your brand new car is broken, and you cant get it fixed or even talk to a person at a service center - none of this matters to anyone.

Reactions: sceptic
Tesla is increasing service staff by 30%

When? Is this actually happening?

... but the idea of going to BMW is just dumb.

That’s a rather drastic statement!

So you know better than the millions of BMW owners around the world? What’s your plan for the Alfa Romeo buyers then? Obviously they can’t be trusted with car purchasing responsibilities, no?

Just completed the HW 3 FSD computer upgrade at Cherry Hill, NJ.

The good (there’s no bad):

1. I was surprised (and happy) it took only 2 hours.
2. Service was awesome. No issues whatsoever. Communication was perfect and was able to track entire process through text messages and the app.
3. Woohoo....cones.
4. Only had to re-pair iPhone and Bluetooth. All other settings were maintained which was perfect.
5. Forgot to add, since today was trash day, garbage pails.

Looking forward to upcoming FW updates which will integrate HW3.

Just completed the HW 3 FSD computer upgrade at Cherry Hill, NJ.

The good (there’s no bad):

1. I was surprised (and happy) it took only 2 hours.
2. Service was awesome. No issues whatsoever. Communication was perfect and was able to track entire process through text messages and the app.
3. Woohoo....cones.
4. Only had to re-pair iPhone and Bluetooth. All other settings were maintained which was perfect.
5. Forgot to add, since today was trash day, garbage pails.

Looking forward to upcoming FW updates which will integrate HW3.
Grats, will probably get FSD later with the Model Y and only if they Tesla gives me a free trial at a reduced rate. Don’t think that 7K is worth it to me.

Fred