Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner - Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. i just received my first tesla, a 2019 model S performance. 06/19 build with full self driving.

two questions-

1- when on autopilot, the car does not change lanes on its own. what am i doing wrong?
2- navigate on autopilot is not an option anywhere in the settings. again, not seeing anything in the menu screens.

i have not yet registered the car with Tesla under my name, so excuse me if this is the problem.

thank you,

hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. i just received my first tesla, a 2019 model S performance. 06/19 build with full self driving.

two questions-

1- when on autopilot, the car does not change lanes on its own. what am i doing wrong?
2- navigate on autopilot is not an option anywhere in the settings. again, not seeing anything in the menu screens.

i have not yet registered the car with Tesla under my name, so excuse me if this is the problem.

thank you,

What software version are you running?

If you are using AP (pull left side small lower lever on column to you twice) and the car is maintaining speed, staying centered in the lane, turning on the turn signal will change lanes if it's clear. Check for warnings as the side view cameras might get blocked or have a glare preventing a lane change. A "soft" turn signal will blink 4-5 times during a lane change and cancel. A "hard" (feel a click) turn signal will stay on and you need to stop it. If you get no warnings and no lane change after a calibration of a few hundred miles, try a factory reset. If still broken it's SC time.

If your software version includes Navigate on AP you should be able to accept it as beta and use it. If it's not in your screens again you need to schedule service.

Both these problems should be addressable by mobile service.

Enable Navigate on Autopilot by going to Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)
Then, to customize how you want NOA to operate, touch CUSTOMIZE NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT.

I believe the car must be in park to enable/disable and customize NOA.

Also, NOA only works on interstates, not highways or surface streets.

When the car is in your online Tesla account you will be able to view current options by signing-in, pressing the Manage button next to the picture of your car, and then pressing the View Details button. Under the Options heading it should display, “Full Self-Driving Capability” if FSD is enabled.

"FSD Capability" likely means if you pay for it then you can use it, but is not currently enabled. I have seen many cars listed this way. So when you register with Tesla you will see it as an upgrade available.

This is incorrect. If an inventory car is listed with "full self-driving capability" on Tesla.com then it has the "Full Self-Driving" software package that gives access to existing features as well as future ones included in the price. Do an experiment, look at Model 3 inventory with and without the full self-driving capability option listed, you'll see a price difference between otherwise identical cars.

hi all, thank you for your feedback. the sticker to the car has a $6,000 option for Full Self Driving Capability. i am thinking that this specific car has the capability, that is not yet enabled for an undisclosed amount of money hah.

so i assume i have the basic autopilot without navigation unless i upgrade. does this sound correct?

i will continue digging into this once paperwork is received and i can register in my name.

thank you

hi all, thank you for your feedback. the sticker to the car has a $6,000 option for Full Self Driving Capability. i am thinking that this specific car has the capability, that is not yet enabled for an undisclosed amount of money hah.

so i assume i have the basic autopilot without navigation unless i upgrade. does this sound correct?

i will continue digging into this once paperwork is received and i can register in my name.

thank you

According to Tesla, every car with HW2.0+ "has the capability" - albeit with the caveat that you have to get the upgraded FSD computer aka HW3. But the $6k Full Self-Driving Capability listed on the Monroney sticker means that the car actually had the optional software package activated at some point. Tesla will deactivate this package before reselling cars so they can collect a new payment from the new owner, but they say that they don't do that for third party sales (although they've actually done in the past and had to walk it back after facing a quality *sugar* storm in the media).

What you do next depends on whether you paid the dealership that sold you the car for FSD.