Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla owner ...wall outlet or new wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting new model y SR

Getting installation for the wire in garage from electrical panel this week.

Should I get 220v outlet Only ?

Should I buy new gen3 wall charger from tesla Around 730 cad ?

Should I get gen 2 (brand new wall charger that someone selling) for 350 CAD .

Keeping future in mind what's the best way to go

Plug and use your portable. You could add a shut off, or do it with the breaker, so it doesn't stay on when not in use (even though I've been leaving mine plugged in when home but power of when gone)

With the J1772 and the Chademo in my car, I leave the portable at home

I would put a HPWC in and use your UMC for trips. 14-50 sockets don't like being plugged and unplugged as traditionally they are used for washing machines and dryers. a 6-50 would be better. If you do go for a 14-50 (I see no reason to) buy the best quality one possible and try to limit the amount of times you unplug the socket. Or buy a second adaptor for the UMC and leave one plugged in the socket as the UMC was designed to be unplugged for adaptor changes, a 14-50 was not.

I went with the wall connector on a load miser. I needed to pay to come up with a solution in the garage anyway, that wasn’t a crappy plug, and the bc hydro rebate applied on the wall connector and electrical work making it an economical choice and looks kinda sexy.

What’s your daily commute?

How much is convince worth to you?

How much disposable income to do you?

If money is no object pay $1-2K and get a Tesla wall charger installed.

I’ve been using the included standard wall charger a few days a week overnight while I sleep and works perfect for me.

Should I get 220v outlet Only ?

Keeping future in mind what's the best way to go

I installed a 14-50, then bought a 14-50 dryer cord to wire into my Tesla wall connector. The wall connector is plugged into the 14-50. Works fantastic, and future-proofs my house somewhat. That way, when I move, all I have to do is unplug my wall connector, and unscrew it from the wall. The house is still left with a 14-50 for the next EV or PHEV.

it works so well that I installed a 2nd 14-50 on the other side of the garage for a 2nd car at some point in the future. I was doing some electrical work anyway, and it just made sense to save a bunch of additional work later.

I went with the wall connector on a load miser. I needed to pay to come up with a solution in the garage anyway, that wasn’t a crappy plug, and the bc hydro rebate applied on the wall connector and electrical work making it an economical choice and looks kinda sexy.
BC have rebate on cars that I know .do they have rebate on wall chargers too ?

What’s your daily commute?

How much is convince worth to you?

How much disposable income to do you?

If money is no object pay $1-2K and get a Tesla wall charger installed.

I’ve been using the included standard wall charger a few days a week overnight while I sleep and works perfect for me.
Daily commute is 220 km total .Convenience is more for my wife than me as she is the one who will drive the car more than me .
I have to pay someone to fish the wire from panel to garage to install a 220 v plug or I can just get the wall charger .I think now is the time to do this for me .cost would be just about the same .

Only 350 more for the wall charger vs 50 for the 220 plug .

People say u than leave mobile charger at home and won't have a mobile charger with you .
If I have to use standard plug it charges so slow that it's useless anyways .plus there are so many superchargers in Gta .

Yes, easily. You very likely will need an electrician to install for you ( unless you are fairly handy ) as the cable will need a conduit protection. Likely also need at least # 8 guage wire which is a bit stiff to work with.
Yes I have an electrician friend who is doing it .I am upgrading the panel at the same time . I think I would get it done from outside rather than drilling and cutting in walls