Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

couldn’t reply to any threads as I’m new, just ordered my first ev and can’t wait.

I live in Belfast and according to Tesla’s website there are no electricians here to fit the Tesla home charger.

What did others do , I assumed this would be best for compatibility?

Also what other accessories would you recommend ?
do you get the leads to charge at non Tesla chargers on the road ?

Many thanks in advance

I don't think you need to worry about compatibility. Whatever home charger you choose will work fine. I have the Tesla Wall connector as I wanted three phase and the longer cable and the button on the top to open the charge port, but it was an expensive option as it did not qualify for the £500 OLEV grant. A lot of people on here have ROLEC or Zappi.

Just make sure they fit the correct Type-B RCD (or Type A-EV) which are expensive and if charging outdoors, the correct earthing. Ideally you want it in its own consumer unit/fuse box as that helps keep things cool and isolates trouble.

Hi guys

couldn’t reply to any threads as I’m new, just ordered my first ev and can’t wait.

I live in Belfast and according to Tesla’s website there are no electricians here to fit the Tesla home charger.

What did others do , I assumed this would be best for compatibility?

Also what other accessories would you recommend ?
do you get the leads to charge at non Tesla chargers on the road ?

Many thanks in advance
Just for the record you know you don't need to get a Tesla charger right?. Any standard 32amp charger will do and will probably be cheaper since it will qualify for the OLEV £350 grant so long as it is a smart charger which most are.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies.

I was looking at podpoint , I do like the look of Tesla’s though and I don’t get smart charging benefits in NI.
I may have sourced a local spark (who’s a friend) so the overall cost would be the price to buy.
I have read though there’s a version 3 of Tesla’s charger it’s unclear on their website whether this is the one in the UK or not.

price wise I think they will come in the same podloint with Olev or Tesla with local friend fitting.

The 18th Edition wiring regs Section 722 has a dedicated section for EV charging. Your local sparky will have a copy and should be able to follow the requirements. As others have said, the correct RCD and earthing arrangements are all that’s needed. Some chargers don’t require a dedicated earth rod.

Just make sure they fit the correct Type-B RCD (or Type A-EV) which are expensive and if charging outdoors, the correct earthing. Ideally you want it in its own consumer unit/fuse box as that helps keep things cool and isolates trouble.

I've now been able to source Type-B RCD directly from one of the Chinese manufacturers, after a brief email conversation they've added the version we need (2 Pole 40A) to their Aliexpress store. I took delivery of one last week for my OpenEVSE charger, which will be fitted in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001138258102.html

Costs $80, or about ~£65.. but add £14 for VAT, and a £24 TNT customs clearance charge (which I'm trying to fight, if you can I'd ask them to use a different courier next time). Still cheaper than the £114 being charged by the manufacturer's UK reseller (here)

Last edited:

I was looking at podpoint , I do like the look of Tesla’s though and I don’t get smart charging benefits in NI.
I may have sourced a local spark (who’s a friend) so the overall cost would be the price to buy.
I have read though there’s a version 3 of Tesla’s charger it’s unclear on their website whether this is the one in the UK or not.

price wise I think they will come in the same podloint with Olev or Tesla with local friend fitting.

The Tesla charger I ordered last week (and got delivered Monday) was the Version 2 charger - interestingly the price is the same regardless of whether you get the 2.5m or 7.5m cable so I went for the longer one so it can be used to charge outside the garage too.

I found the cost of getting one that qualifies for the Olev grant + the electrician was still going to cost me more than just getting the Tesla one and having a friend install it for a few beers so I just went for the Tesla one.

Don't forget to get an ESB card, lots of free chargers about

ecars

These do look lovely albeit much more expensive. wht did you go with ?
I went for an EO Mini Pro, largely because the car was delivered months earlier than I expected. I was on holiday abroad at the time, so just went with an offer from EDF who were already supplying me electricity. It wasn’t a completely impulsive choice, I did like the fact that the EO seemed small compared to some of the other common alternatives. The charger works brilliantly and the support I got from EO was great. I went for the tethered variety, and I’m very glad I did.

However, it looks like a utilitarian carbuncle compared with the Andersen. I hate seeing the cable coil dangling and would have happily paid the extra had I known about Andersen at the time. The car cost nigh on £60k and was saving me nearly £300/month In fuel before the crisis. The prettier charger would have been easily justified, although I didn’t know about those savings until I owned the car.

I've now been able to source Type-B RCD directly from one of the Chinese manufacturers, after a brief email conversation they've added the version we need (2 Pole 40A) to their Aliexpress store. I took delivery of one last week for my OpenEVSE charger, which will be fitted in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001138258102.html

Costs $80, or about ~£65.. but add £14 for VAT, and a £24 TNT customs clearance charge (which I'm trying to fight, if you can I'd ask them to use a different courier next time). Still cheaper than the £114 being charged by the manufacturer's UK reseller (here)
Not sure I have your confidence for the sake of saving £11 (or £33 without the customs charge) on something pretty important for safety. AliExpress is great for many things but an electrical safety item?

Reactions: MrBadger