Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires, use Tesla service appointment option using tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all so my tires after 39k. Miles need to be changed. I’m near the legal limit. Using the Tesla app under service there is an option for tire swap. Has anyone used this before? Will they provide tpms or do I need to buy them? I normally buy my tires online and bring them to the shop but I might just use this service instead.

If I remember correctly, Tesla won’t install tires you didn’t buy from them. I bought a set of stock 18” take offs from a fellow TMC member and Tesla wouldn’t put them on for any price.

I don't understand why you'd even ask them to. There's no need to go to Tesla for anything that's not covered by warranty, or specific to Teslas. Wheels, brakes, tires, suspension, you're better off dealing with people who do that stuff all day long because they're likely going to be cheaper, faster, and better at it.

Reactions: KerryOH
I don't understand why you'd even ask them to. There's no need to go to Tesla for anything that's not covered by warranty, or specific to Teslas. Wheels, brakes, tires, suspension, you're better off dealing with people who do that stuff all day long because they're likely going to be cheaper, faster, and better at it.

There is one reason to service your car with Tesla - ensure that ALL liability for any fixes and maintenance can be clearly localized.

Still agree about the tires. Tesla service recommended to do tire rotations elsewhere, so I assume it is a kind of (un)official policy inside Tesla to gently push owners to use 3rd-party shops more. I don’t like it, I would rather prefer them to make enough money but be more willing to do whatever I ask them to do (for money) as opposed to deciding for me and cancelling my service appointments. But it is what it is.

Reactions: Dre78
Wow, hit a nerve with that one. In my case, Roadside was coming to my house to repair a flat anyway so I inquired if they’d put my spare set on instead of doing a loaner wheel. They said no to all 4, but would put my spare on the corner that was flat. For a little extra cash, the tow truck driver did the other 3. The way it worked out, it was well worth the convenience.

If I remember correctly, when I called around to the usual suspects at the time (America’s Tire, Costco, etc), they all declined to do Teslas. Maybe their policies have changed in the meantime, but I’ve seen other posters say that their local America’s Tire, Costco, etc also won’t do Teslas either, while other locations will.

I’m going to disagree with you on the cheaper, faster, better claim also. My experience with my Volt was the dealer (!) often turned out to be the better option even on simple things like tires. I ordered new tires online, but it took 3 return visits before the tire shop figured out how to reset the TPMS. Totally unnecessary since all they had to do was mark which wheel came off which corner and put it back on the same corner. After the wasted time of 4 visits, the Chevy dealer told me they would’ve mounted the new tires for less even though I didn’t buy them there. And the Volt TPMS reset was no mystery to them. Where was the harm in asking Tesla instead of assuming like I had done with Chevy?

When my 3 needed its first tire rotation, I called Tesla to ask how much they charged. They offered a free rotation at home or work without me having to be there. I never would’ve known if I hadn’t asked. My coworkers were so impressed seeing mobile service that Tesla made a couple more sales.

If you buy from the americas tire website do they charge installation fees at the shop? Did you get new tire pressure monitoring sensors from them?

Installation fee? Yes

New TPMS? No, same ones

xn2Hm0e.png

If I remember correctly, when I called around to the usual suspects at the time (America’s Tire, Costco, etc), they all declined to do Teslas. Maybe their policies have changed in the meantime, but I’ve seen other posters say that their local America’s Tire, Costco, etc also won’t do Teslas either, while other locations will.

I’m going to disagree with you on the cheaper, faster, better claim also. My experience with my Volt was the dealer (!) often turned out to be the better option even on simple things like tires. I ordered new tires online, but it took 3 return visits before the tire shop figured out how to reset the TPMS. Totally unnecessary since all they had to do was mark which wheel came off which corner and put it back on the same corner. After the wasted time of 4 visits, the Chevy dealer told me they would’ve mounted the new tires for less even though I didn’t buy them there. And the Volt TPMS reset was no mystery to them. Where was the harm in asking Tesla instead of assuming like I had done with Chevy?

When my 3 needed its first tire rotation, I called Tesla to ask how much they charged. They offered a free rotation at home or work without me having to be there. I never would’ve known if I hadn’t asked. My coworkers were so impressed seeing mobile service that Tesla made a couple more sales.

Why did they offer you a free tire rotation? This is an exception rather than a rule. EVERYONE would be using this if widely available (free unattended tire rotation via mobile service).

Why did they offer you a free tire rotation? This is an exception rather than a rule. EVERYONE would be using this if widely available (free unattended tire rotation via mobile service).
I think it was standard practice 2 years ago. Mobile actually did my first 3 rotations for free. I even joked with them that they should start charging me because I didn’t want Tesla to go bankwupt. Those were chaotic days. I kept trying to pay my Supercharging balance but no one wanted to charge my card. The balance would periodically reset to zero until one day it didn’t, and they charged my card right after I left the Supercharger. I rarely Supercharge so each time it reset to zero, my balance was under $10. Chevy did the first rotation for free too, except they obviously didn’t do mobile.

• Funny