Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New To Forum - Need Some Info On Cabin Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks!

Has anyone actually seen or received a Model Y yet? My wife and I have been holding out until this year to purchase an suv. There are 2 vehicles I have been waiting to hit the market and both are out this year. One being the Tesla Model Y. I am curious what the roominess is best compared to inside a Model Y. I'm 6'2" and 280 pounds and do not want anything that resembles an Audi Q5 or Ford Escape etc. I find the Audi Q7 and Q8 to be great and for North American cars..... the new Chevy Blazer fits us perfectly..... but I do not like North American Automobiles. We have always purchased Toyota's in the past but the RX350 was very disappointing to us. thanks for the help.

This article (UPDATE Tesla Model Y Complete Measurement With Interior Info) recently came out, and while it's not 100% official yet (crazy I know), it seems credible and the values align with expectations based on reviews, photos, and videos over the last 6 months or so.

Based on that the Model Y has almost 2 MORE inches of headroom than the Q7, and the same amount of leg room, and about the same amount of cargo volume as well.

If there is a Tesla show room near you, go sit in a model 3, then add 4-5 inches to the head room, you will get the headroom of the model Y. And the model Y is about 5% larger and 5 inches taller that the model 3.

Model Y is about 7” taller than Model 3 but less than an inch more headroom in the front since the seats are on risers. The table compares Model Y and Model 3 specs. Model Y info is from the Tesmanian article (still to be confirmed) that is cited above by @NovemberXray and Model 3 info is from the owner’s manual.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.58.55 PM.png

Last edited:
My wife’s company car is a ‘20 Ford Escape and the Y will be pretty close to it with about an inch less shoulder room. I am 5’9” 190lb and wouldn’t want any smaller of a vehicle so I think you’ll be very claustrophobic in it.

Hi folks!

Has anyone actually seen or received a Model Y yet? My wife and I have been holding out until this year to purchase an suv. There are 2 vehicles I have been waiting to hit the market and both are out this year. One being the Tesla Model Y. I am curious what the roominess is best compared to inside a Model Y. I'm 6'2" and 280 pounds and do not want anything that resembles an Audi Q5 or Ford Escape etc. I find the Audi Q7 and Q8 to be great and for North American cars..... the new Chevy Blazer fits us perfectly..... but I do not like North American Automobiles. We have always purchased Toyota's in the past but the RX350 was very disappointing to us. thanks for the help.

I drive an MS but was interested in the 3. However, lack of hatch back made it impractical. Outside of 3 is smaller but the inside (I thought) was roomy enough for me and the MY is slightly larger. I didn't fell claustrophobic at all. With the hatchback and seats down you'll be able to carry almost anything (OK so a 30" dishwasher is about the largest think I have had IN the back of the MS; MY ought to be capable of that as well). Think it will be our next car.

7.2" taller, 0.7" more headroom... that means there's 6.5" for increased ground clearance and the higher seat. I'm thinking the seat will be about 5" higher than a model 3. That'll be great. This also means that the drivers head will be 6.5" higher, which is great for visibility and helping keep oncoming headlights out of our eyes. I'm really looking forward to my first Tesla.

Hi folks!

Have you ever owned a RX350? I can say we have and it is a very reliable car. We only went back to the dealer once and that was to buy a new Lexus. It won't match a Tesla for performance but the Tesla cannot match the level of fit and finish of the RX 350.

7.2" taller, 0.7" more headroom... that means there's 6.5" for increased ground clearance and the higher seat. I'm thinking the seat will be about 5" higher than a model 3. That'll be great. This also means that the drivers head will be 6.5" higher, which is great for visibility and helping keep oncoming headlights out of our eyes. I'm really looking forward to my first Tesla.

Based on specs online, MY is 64" high, M3 is 56.8, so 7.2" difference. Subtract the ride height difference, 1.7" and your at a 5.5" difference in height inside. Then subtract .7" for head room and your at 4.8" from the bottom of the seat to the bottom of the actual car floor. Some of that may be the different floor structure, most is the risers probably. Personally I am 6-2". I have driven the M3 a fair amount, my only real concern was the seat height, hence me waiting on the MY. With what seems to be almost 5" higher seats, that should make it perfect imo at least from a leg comfort perspective. Actually looking at the specs now, they are very similar on the inside to a Honda CR-V (2017-2020MY) which I have now. I have knee issues and really can't drive cars for long periods of times due to that... I am very happy with the seating position in the CR-V, so can't wait to sit in the MY.

Ever see any Model 3s where you live? Ask an owner, I bet most would let you try it on for size.

YMMV, but I have a co-worker who is 6’7” and he drives a Model 3 for the last year but is getting a Model Y.

He has done one 350 mile road trip with no complaints.

if you don’t fit in the Model Y, you aren’t going to have much luck in other CUVs...

as far as I can tell deliveries start this week so there will be lots of YouTube videos in the coming weeks.

Model Y is about 7” taller than Model 3 but less than an inch more headroom in the front since the seats are on risers. The table compares Model Y and Model 3 specs. Model Y info is from the Tesmanian article (still to be confirmed) that is cited above by @NovemberXray and Model 3 info is from the owner’s manual.

View attachment 520074
Hmmmm, Tesla's playing some interesting games with ratings here. On the Model 3 the Gross Axle Ratings add up to <3% more than the GVWR. On the Model Y it's >19% more. I suspect that they're sandbagging the GVWR for some specific regulatory reason on the Model Y for now. Quite possibly we'll see a sudden jump in GVWR either for a tow package, or the 7-seat edition.

Hi folks!
I find the Audi Q7 and Q8 to be great and for North American cars..... the new Chevy Blazer fits us perfectly..... but I do not like North American Automobiles. We have always purchased Toyota's in the past but the RX350 was very disappointing to us. thanks for the help.

The Blazer is 191.4” L x 76.7” W x 67.0” H, so just a little bit bigger than the Model Y. The Audi Q7 is a much larger vehicle than the Model Y or the Blazer.

I’ve also been a lifelong Toyota owner too. Was leaning towards the 2020 Highlander Hybrid, but it’ll also push $50K and availability in my area is still non-existent. Looked at the RX, but never really warmed up to it. I’m taking a leap of faith here with the Model Y. :)

Just curious...if you don’t like North American vehicles, isn’t the Tesla a North American vehicle?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
My wife’s company car is a ‘20 Ford Escape and the Y will be pretty close to it with about an inch less shoulder room. I am 5’9” 190lb and wouldn’t want any smaller of a vehicle so I think you’ll be very claustrophobic in it.

This is the exact vehicle I was hoping not to hear a similarity with. We had a Ford Escape as a coutesy vehicle once while my F350 was in the shop. I was not a fan! Lol

Have you ever owned a RX350? I can say we have and it is a very reliable car. We only went back to the dealer once and that was to buy a new Lexus. It won't match a Tesla for performance but the Tesla cannot match the level of fit and finish of the RX 350.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone with an RX350. This is our first luxury car and we had originally wanted an RX350 but felt that after driving one, it lacked the performance I wanted in my first luxury vehicle.

I had to sell my Corvette years ago to pay for some courses for my employment and now that I'm older.... sitting 3" off the ground isn't quite as appealing to me anymore. I decided I wanted comfort, performance and dual purpose.... so I could use year-round for work. I love the Audi Q7 and Q8 but cannot justify the huge cost of ownership. This year, Tesla comes out with the Model Y and Genesis comes out with the GV80. These are the 2 cars that I have narrowed my selection down to. I would prefer the Tesla (if it's comfortable) because I am sick of being at the mercy of the fuel companies and watching the price climb every long weekend.

The Blazer is 191.4” L x 76.7” W x 67.0” H, so just a little bit bigger than the Model Y. The Audi Q7 is a much larger vehicle than the Model Y or the Blazer.

I’ve also been a lifelong Toyota owner too. Was leaning towards the 2020 Highlander Hybrid, but it’ll also push $50K and availability in my area is still non-existent. Looked at the RX, but never really warmed up to it. I’m taking a leap of faith here with the Model Y. :)

Just curious...if you don’t like North American vehicles, isn’t the Tesla a North American vehicle?
It is but it's one I have never owned..... unlike GM, Ford and Dodge. It's also got a lot less things that can go wrong.

Is there some Edmonton Tesla group or some Canadian group?

Maybe post in the Canada forum when regular deliveries start happening? Canada

I'm sure you could find someone who would let you check theirs out. No substitute for real world experience.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to insult anyone with an RX350. This is our first luxury car and we had originally wanted an RX350 but felt that after driving one, it lacked the performance I wanted in my first luxury vehicle.

I had to sell my Corvette years ago to pay for some courses for my employment and now that I'm older.... sitting 3" off the ground isn't quite as appealing to me anymore. I decided I wanted comfort, performance and dual purpose.... so I could use year-round for work. I love the Audi Q7 and Q8 but cannot justify the huge cost of ownership. This year, Tesla comes out with the Model Y and Genesis comes out with the GV80. These are the 2 cars that I have narrowed my selection down to. I would prefer the Tesla (if it's comfortable) because I am sick of being at the mercy of the fuel companies and watching the price climb every long weekend.
No problem. No insult taken. Truthfully the RX isn't my cup of tea either (my wife drives one). Just saying that Tesla has a long way to go as far as quality. I passed on buying a Model S early on as I felt the seats and interior left a lot to be desired for $100K+. Lurking on this forum as I intend on getting a Model 3 for my daily driver but still have reservations as I feel Tesla has it down as far as the drivetrain but manufacturing the rest of the vehicle for long term durability is a question to me. Of particular worry is the massive amount of foam in the seats and how that will hold up over time.
Kia/Hyundai/Genesis is putting out some serious cars now after poaching a few BMW execs. The driving dynamics have vastly improved. The value proposition is quite appealing and build/design is very good as well.

Last edited: