Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (to me) MX+ - Day 1 Puncture - Can it be repaired in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MX+ delivered to me on Friday. Puncture on Saturday.

Tesla say they cannot repair punctures.

Kwik Fit say they will not repair punctures in Tesla tyres because of the soundproofing foam.

Tesla say they only approve Michelin Latitude Sport 3 for the MX and it has to have T0 (zero) on the sidewall. So not a bog standard Michelin Latitude Sport 3.

I am assuming that if you did not put a "T0" tyre on then Tesla may not honour some of the warranty issues if they were related to anything that a tyre could affect.

Has anyone had any experience of punctures repaired in the UK (I know Tesla will repair punctures in the US)?

Has anyone had trouble sourcing a tyre with"T0" on the sidewall?

Has anyone had experience of Tesla not supporting the warranty because of a non Tesla recommended tyre?

Many thanks.

Lots of people have non Tesla T0 tyres. If the size and weight and speed ratings are ok there’s no problem. And no warranty quibbles. My car has been into the Tesla Service Centre with non standard non foam winter tyres and nobody says a thing. Many independent tyre places will repair foam lined tyres … it maybe adds 10 minutes max to the job.

Has anyone had experience of Tesla not supporting the warranty because of a non Tesla recommended tyre?
In a word, NO.

I've been using NangKang SP9s on our X since the first tire change. Half the price of the Latitudes and they last around 20-25k which is about 10k more than what I got out of the Latitudes. I've driven ours at Vmax on the autobahn, this year will the be 6th winter with them, gone up mountain passes in Switzerland/Norway etc, no appreciable difference in grip or noise. Best bit is they seem MORE efficient on range than the Latitudes, I'm getting 300wh/mile in summer at 70mph with them, versus 330-340wh/mile with the Latitudes.

Other midrange tires are avaliable :).

Reactions: Pete_Nikola
Foam tyres can 100% be repaired, whether your tyres is reparable is a different question altogether.

If the puncture is not in the reparable zone (middle 2/3 of the tyre), it can’t be plugged.

You can put any tyre on the car, it just needs to match or exceed the required ratings for the car. The specification is in the manual.

Tesla will tell you to fit the tyres that came on the car, BMW will tell you the same, as will Renault, Hyundai, BYD, Ford, or any other car manufacturer you can think of.

Foam lined tyres are not specific to only Tesla. It may require an extra few minutes to cut out the foam in the puncture location but provided the puncture is otherwise repairable the existence of the foam lining does not render the tyre un-repairable. I suggest phoning around and am confident you will find a local place that is willing and happy to do it.

Thank you all. This is a 1st class forum. Armed with all this knowledge, gained from your help, I spoke to my local tyre fitter (They weren't open yesterday but Kwikfit were) and they said it was no problem to repair the tyre (proving it was in the repairable zone obviously). They also confirmed they had the pucks.

I had printed off the procedure for the active suspension and jack mode in readiness but it wasn't needed they knew exactly what to do.

They showed me what they were going to do with the foam etc. and did it all in no time at all.

All for a cost f £25.

They are ETB Autocentres.

They used to be my go to place but as they were closed on Sunday and Monday (BH) I made the mistake of calling Tesla and my local Kwikfit, beliveing their approach was the only one and having a very stressful weekend.

ETB will certainly be my go to place again from now on.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I can now start enjoying my new MX+