Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the family! NE FL - Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! I was positively overwhelmed by the responses to my first post here that helped me decide to join the Tesla family after years of "window shopping". I put my deposit down last week on a 2013 CPO P85, had an electrician install my NEMA 14-50 plug on a new 50 amp breaker and the reality that I actually am doing this is hutting me more and more as the days pass. I'm so excited!

I wanted to ask for your tips. I have read this forum so many times, but some of the tip post are older and maybe there may be newer tips people have now. Below are some concerns/questions/thoughts. Feel free to answer any or all or none and just say hello

Also, is anyone on this forum from NE Florida? I'd love to meet my local family!

1: Tips with this car and kids? It will be replacing a minivan (for now at least). We already talked to them about no drinks, no junk, etc. My kids listen very well and will honestly try hard to keep it as clean as possible. They have tablets if needed, but anything else in general that helped you as a family? I was thinking about getting covers for the back seats, but leaving the front as is. They are the performance leather. Anyone get these? I was thinking about ordering them so they are here when I pick up and have them go ahead and pop the back seat off for me to install. Tesla Model S Full Piping Seat Covers: Wet Okole Hawaii

2: Going to try to say this without sounding snobby...? I don't live in the upper class side of town where you see Teslas here. In fact, I have seen one in person, on the road that is, in my daily commute. And that was on the upper class side of town. I don't come from money and I will turn 30 shortly after my Tesla delivery. So I am not at all your typical Tesla owner. I have the ability to comfortably afford my Tesla because of many reasons, such as 15 yr mortgage at 2.5% interest that's almost paid off, 845+ credit score so my loan is 2% on the Tesla, and I went CPO to get more for my money. I am excellent with money, I save a lot for many reasons (such as my children's college tuition). But even though I am coming from having bought a brand new, more expensive top of the line minivans a few years back (which most people don't know are pricy) to a well known expensive luxury car, not to mention a Tesla, I will get very rude snobby comments about it. Like "must be nice to have that money" or "big baller!" But in an obviously rude way. Has anyone been in this similar scenario, and if so, how did you manage the comments? I have been teaching my kids about Tesla and electric cars and the environment, and they have become walking advertisers for the earth's health and EV's. They now see the van as a gross earth killer... Maybe I should have started the talks closer to delivery

3: what are some of your favorite accessories? I'm thinking all weather/rubber mats for the inside and trunks, as well as keyfob holders and seatbelt guards (to help with the belt sitting at my neck). I have a lot of things saved on Amazon and a few websites I've found through here. I tend to over shop accessories though so feedback is great.

4: my MS will come with 21's. I am a fairly conservative driver. For starters I typically have my kids on the car, second I fear spreading tickets anyway. I like perfect records, and well, insurance hikes are not something I prefer to have. But even so, I know the 21's won't last as long. I also hear the 19's are a nicer ride. Should I look into getting 19's anyway? The 21's look so nice though, but sometimes it's better to forgo looks. We don't do winter/summer tires in FL so its all year wear.

5: Anything else? CPO delivery tips? "Do this right after pick up!" Etc.

I look forward to your feedback, so happy to be part of the family! Its been a long time coming.

In response to your Q#2:

I say, don't care about what other people think. I was 27 when I purchased my MS 70D new, so I am far from the typical "average" Tesla owner as well. I'm have a pretty average job too. Pays well in my opinion, sure, but it's not like I'm Mark Zuckerberg or someone with a nice hefty several hundred thousand dollar a year salary.

Sounds like you and I have many similarities. I too was very responsible with my finances, had a part-time job during college, and saved saved saved when I got my first full-time job. Got fortunate with some high-risk investments in stocks, mutual funds...got fortunate with finding an employer with very generous tuition reimbursement, etc. etc. all of which allowed me to afford the Tesla.

I tried to "hide" my Tesla for as long as I could when I started driving it to work. Parked really far away from everyone else. After awhile, I just stopped caring what other people think. I figured what's the point? Coworkers will get used to the idea as long as you are generally a likable person. As for other random strangers? Chances are I'll never see them again, so I figure why care what they think? Sure, their mind might immediately go to "must be a spoiled trust fund baby" or something like that, but I'll never see them again so who cares? Besides, if they're so simple-minded and inclined to judge a book by its cover, chances are that's not someone I really care about anyway. I'm more about quality over quantity when it comes to the people I choose to let into my circle.

EDITED TO ADD: I did mention gas savings and the tax incentives to make it appear like a cheaper car when I first got it. People would ask "how the heck did you afford that!?" which is when I'd take that opportunity to tell them I was saving $500 a month in gas...plus maintenance, tax incentives...amortized over X number of years, that this car, sure while the out the door price tag was high, the effective cost of ownership of X number of years was comparable to an entry-level luxury sedan like perhaps a $35,000 BMW.

Gas savings was the big thing and I just emphasized the fact that I was a high mileage driver who always spent a buttload of cash on gas + car payment...and that now I was simply shifting to purely a car payment with $0 gas.

Congratulations on the car, you will love it!

I have been getting comments from co-workers a lot lately including my boss. I try to emphasize that I bought it used to downplay it a little. I don't care what others think but I do think come review/bonus time, there is definitely in the back of my bosses head "he doesn't need the extra money since he drives a 70-100k car". I am a new hire only been at my job for 9 months compared to guys who have been there 15 years. I work in the Cybersecurity field which is very rewarding.

There is not much I can do about it. It's just the reality that these cars are extremely rare and expensive in the Northeast. If I drove a 5 series to work priced similar, I wouldn't get the comments. I believe the comments come from envy mostly since most people can't afford them or get one due to living circumstances. Like the OP, I really saved my money and continue to contribute to my kids college tuition and 401k, have great credit and save some money in cash as well.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
With you 100% on these points. I bought a new MS and for a few fleeting seconds thought of just saying the car was used to downplay it even though it was not. Then I thought to myself, "life is short, I'm doing what makes me happy with my money that I worked hard for. Plus my boss knows I get paid well enough to afford it ( also does not help that many people are misinformed about the price of the car ... thinking all are over $100k).

To the OP, if your neighborhood may "hate" on your new MS, I would worry the most about someone keying the car more than anything (can happen anywhere really). But again, life is too short to worry about things you have little or no control over. Enjoy the car!

I have been getting comments from co-workers a lot lately including my boss. I try to emphasize that I bought it used to downplay it a little. I don't care what others think but I do think come review/bonus time, there is definitely in the back of my bosses head "he doesn't need the extra money since he drives a 70-100k car". I am a new hire only been at my job for 9 months compared to guys who have been there 15 years. I work in the Cybersecurity field which is very rewarding.

There is not much I can do about it. It's just the reality that these cars are extremely rare and expensive in the Northeast. If I drove a 5 series to work priced similar, I wouldn't get the comments. I believe the comments come from envy mostly since most people can't afford them or get one due to living circumstances. Like the OP, I really saved my money and continue to contribute to my kids college tuition and 401k, have great credit and save some money in cash as well.

#2 is my biggest worry! I ordered a 100D and should have it in the next 3-4 weeks. All my life I've only purchased used cars under $10k and now I'm jumping to a $100k+ car. It's insane, and I feel embarrassed about my extremely lucky life situation when I start to overthink it. I haven't told anyone except my wife (duh) and my parents. It's going to shock a lot of friends & family. :D

Seriously though I agree with what andyaycw was saying - live your life and don't worry about what others think. I know owning this car is going to be weird for the first encounters, especially with shocked friends & family, but after that it'll be fine. Do your thing and be thankful every time you get behind the wheel.

I am coming from having bought a brand new, more expensive top of the line minivans a few years back (which most people don't know are pricy) to a well known expensive luxury car, not to mention a Tesla, I will get very rude snobby comments about it.

In addition to the great advice already posted, I'll say stop with the negative self-talk. ("I will get very rude snobby comments.") That's unlikely, and if you do, you'll understand those people are simply nasty, rude people who are envious that you worked like hell to get what you wanted. Need justification? "It's the safest car on the road, and I wanted to protect my family. Why do you have a problem with that?"

Congratulations. Being in Florida you will want to tint your windows. You don't need blackout, just some tinting. It will also make the car look sharp. Get the wheels balanced and make sure your tires are filled to proper PSI.
Charge every night to 80% using TOU (time of use) to take advantage of the lowest electric rates. We've transferred our household electric use where we could easily. Car charging, washing and drying clothes, dishwasher, etc.
Enjoy the luxury, quiet and acceleration.

Congratulations. Being in Florida you will want to tint your windows. You don't need blackout, just some tinting. It will also make the car look sharp. Get the wheels balanced and make sure your tires are filled to proper PSI.
Charge every night to 80% using TOU (time of use) to take advantage of the lowest electric rates. We've transferred our household electric use where we could easily. Car charging, washing and drying clothes, dishwasher, etc.
Enjoy the luxury, quiet and acceleration.
good advice but there is no TOU power pricing in his part of the world

good advice but there is no TOU power pricing in his part of the world
Really? Here in Atlanta (Georgia Power) the off off peak (11 PM thru 7 AM) is just pennies per KW year round. In moving my electric use to the off off peak my electric bill in dollars has gone down even though my KW usage has gone up. It's a win win for the power company and for the consumer.

Hello everyone! I was positively overwhelmed by the responses to my first post here that helped me decide to join the Tesla family after years of "window shopping". I put my deposit down last week on a 2013 CPO P85, had an electrician install my NEMA 14-50 plug on a new 50 amp breaker and the reality that I actually am doing this is hutting me more and more as the days pass. I'm so excited!

I wanted to ask for your tips. I have read this forum so many times, but some of the tip post are older and maybe there may be newer tips people have now. Below are some concerns/questions/thoughts. Feel free to answer any or all or none and just say hello

Also, is anyone on this forum from NE Florida? I'd love to meet my local family!

1: Tips with this car and kids? It will be replacing a minivan (for now at least). We already talked to them about no drinks, no junk, etc. My kids listen very well and will honestly try hard to keep it as clean as possible. They have tablets if needed, but anything else in general that helped you as a family? I was thinking about getting covers for the back seats, but leaving the front as is. They are the performance leather. Anyone get these? I was thinking about ordering them so they are here when I pick up and have them go ahead and pop the back seat off for me to install. Tesla Model S Full Piping Seat Covers: Wet Okole Hawaii

2: Going to try to say this without sounding snobby...? I don't live in the upper class side of town where you see Teslas here. In fact, I have seen one in person, on the road that is, in my daily commute. And that was on the upper class side of town. I don't come from money and I will turn 30 shortly after my Tesla delivery. So I am not at all your typical Tesla owner. I have the ability to comfortably afford my Tesla because of many reasons, such as 15 yr mortgage at 2.5% interest that's almost paid off, 845+ credit score so my loan is 2% on the Tesla, and I went CPO to get more for my money. I am excellent with money, I save a lot for many reasons (such as my children's college tuition). But even though I am coming from having bought a brand new, more expensive top of the line minivans a few years back (which most people don't know are pricy) to a well known expensive luxury car, not to mention a Tesla, I will get very rude snobby comments about it. Like "must be nice to have that money" or "big baller!" But in an obviously rude way. Has anyone been in this similar scenario, and if so, how did you manage the comments? I have been teaching my kids about Tesla and electric cars and the environment, and they have become walking advertisers for the earth's health and EV's. They now see the van as a gross earth killer... Maybe I should have started the talks closer to delivery

3: what are some of your favorite accessories? I'm thinking all weather/rubber mats for the inside and trunks, as well as keyfob holders and seatbelt guards (to help with the belt sitting at my neck). I have a lot of things saved on Amazon and a few websites I've found through here. I tend to over shop accessories though so feedback is great.

4: my MS will come with 21's. I am a fairly conservative driver. For starters I typically have my kids on the car, second I fear spreading tickets anyway. I like perfect records, and well, insurance hikes are not something I prefer to have. But even so, I know the 21's won't last as long. I also hear the 19's are a nicer ride. Should I look into getting 19's anyway? The 21's look so nice though, but sometimes it's better to forgo looks. We don't do winter/summer tires in FL so its all year wear.

I look forward to your feedback, so happy to be part of the family! Its been a long time coming.
Congrats,

You worked hard so enjoy the spoils of your good labor. If they ask tell them entry level is mid 60s...or my my rich uncle bought for me:)

• Funny
Really? Here in Atlanta (Georgia Power) the off off peak (11 PM thru 7 AM) is just pennies per KW year round. In moving my electric use to the off off peak my electric bill in dollars has gone down even though my KW usage has gone up. It's a win win for the power company and for the consumer.
different states, different power companies, different pricing schemes.

I am glad I'm not the only one that would or has come across the money situation. I've mainly though about it as last year because I did a full upgrade to my kitchen, from fully gutted to fully renovated in which comments started and I realized quick who my friends were since they no longer talk to me. I'm never one to gloat about money (I even hate the "how much was that!" Comment, I never answer it). I just make better decisions than most I know so I have always found myself ten steps ahead in my financial timeline.

Work worries me when it comes to bonuses and raises too, specially if they push more because of helping a family vs just work. I park right outside a door over half the company walks out of too. I'll have to major downplay cost and up play used for sure!

Comments about neighborhood keying... Isn't that the truth! Luckily I have a full camera security system and it will always be in the garage when not in use.

Thank you for the other tips as well. Specially the tires. Its one of my biggest worries long term. I am lucky that power cost here is cheap and same cost around the clock. Although our power company has discussed possibly changing, in which I'll make those changes as well.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
I've also gotten comments from some of my neighbors. I live in a middle class neighborhood where there are some nice luxury models but for the most part, its average priced vehicles. Someone around the block from me has 2 model S's though. The bottom line is Tesla's are an attention grabber because of its looks, technology and rarity. It's in its own class right now and there is nothing out there like it.

I expect this to dissipate with the model 3.

I also live in a middle class neighborhood and my MX60D does grab some attention but I ignore it. People think we drive around in a $150k car which we DON'T. We save our money and decided to make a big purchase and have never thought twice about it. We love our Model X. Someone around my block has a P85D and Range Rover so there is some very nice cars but we have mostly average cars but there are very few EV's which I need to fix (educating neighbors when they see the door open) and my neighbors down the street have two leafs and we talk to each other a lot. Don't listen to the haters, they are just jealous of your AMAZING CPO P85! On the other hand the 19's do ride better but the 21's look AMAZING. Enjoy your Model S. You will get any excuse to drive it, it is that good. In aftermarket things you should tint and if you take frequent road trips maybe use PPF on front bumper.
Zack

I had a loaner with 21" wheels and the ride was noticeably more noisy than the 19" wheels on my S75. Also, there is a mileage penalty for the 21" wheels and they are not as durable. I could not imagine getting the 21" wheels for my car. I also live in Florida and window tinting is a definite advantage. The key issue for me is lowering the inside temperature, while using the least tint possible. Tint works both ways, and night time visibility is diminished beyond safe limits if the tinting is too dark. That said, whatever you decide for your Tesla, you will find yourself smiling more often and looking for excuses to drive.

Thanks for the replies! I try not to think about what others think, sometimes it just gets to me. Specially first initial "confrontations". Sadly its pretty much the only negative thought I have about my CPO and it bothers me that I feel that way too. It will pass :)

@ScienceFan: Would you say it was more on the annoying end with noise? I may notice it even more coming from a Ody that had an "acoustic glass" to limit noise that was virtually soundless. But maybe the noise would offset the silent engine! I test drove a 85 with 19's, but even it had some noticeable noise compared to my Ody. Wanted to test 21's but didnt have the option. All in all, I enjoy the driving noise. I grew up taking many road trips so it may not be too bad?

I wanted 19's but the CPO I ended up with (with best all around package for my needs and nice have wants) will come with 21's. I was advised I could buy a set of 19's for about $2.5k and sell my 21's. I may try the 21's for a while first and see how long I can make them last, since I'm a bit more of a "conservative" driver. I'm sure that bill when I have to replace them will have me changing my mind quick!

For those that tinted, what did you go with? I saw the limits are 15% rear and 28%. But I would be doing a lot of night driving, and in the winter I leave and come home without even seeing the sun. Going g close to limit may be too much based on feedback.

Thanks for the replies! I try not to think about what others think, sometimes it just gets to me. Specially first initial "confrontations". Sadly its pretty much the only negative thought I have about my CPO and it bothers me that I feel that way too. It will pass :)

@ScienceFan: Would you say it was more on the annoying end with noise? I may notice it even more coming from a Ody that had an "acoustic glass" to limit noise that was virtually soundless. But maybe the noise would offset the silent engine! I test drove a 85 with 19's, but even it had some noticeable noise compared to my Ody. Wanted to test 21's but didnt have the option. All in all, I enjoy the driving noise. I grew up taking many road trips so it may not be too bad?

I wanted 19's but the CPO I ended up with (with best all around package for my needs and nice have wants) will come with 21's. I was advised I could buy a set of 19's for about $2.5k and sell my 21's. I may try the 21's for a while first and see how long I can make them last, since I'm a bit more of a "conservative" driver. I'm sure that bill when I have to replace them will have me changing my mind quick!

For those that tinted, what did you go with? I saw the limits are 15% rear and 28%. But I would be doing a lot of night driving, and in the winter I leave and come home without even seeing the sun. Going g close to limit may be too much based on feedback.
I would not go too close to the limit. I have. 30% on my Audi and it is dark but looks good. Maybe go for 40%.
Zack

I will add in some thoughts on #2. I am also on the younger end and I naturally don't really like attention so I thought it would be a negative driving a recognizable car. Something about driving a Tesla kind of turns you into a brand ambassador and I have started to actually enjoy it some. I haven't really gotten any of the negative comments, so you might be surprised. Some of the best Tesla interactions I have had were with folks that clearly couldn't afford the car. No one ever really acted negative about it. Some would ask the price and I would just say something generic about the general price range or it being "pretty expensive". Last time some one asked, "$35k version?" and when I said nope, they said "$70k version?" and I replied yep. Simple as that. I have a S60, so I also can say I got the "cheapest" one :). The car is awesome. Don't let others rain on your parade. There will be plenty of other people who will love to ride in it and be excited to check it out.

As for #1, I have a 3 year old and I honestly don't do anything different. No liquid foods/drinks or stickiness in the car for sure, but otherwise not much I can do to control a 3 year-old. I just get it nicely cleaned every once in a while and that usually takes it back to looking new. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to tell him to stop kicking the seat.

@Mami_Love8110 - first, congrats on your purchase! Sounds like our thought processes align significantly in terms of financial responsibility, the environment, and Tesla :)

Tips with this car and kids- so this was a very tough one for my family. Having a 3 and 1 yr old in tow, I threw the ‘no food in the new car’ policy out the door out of sheer guilt. For me, I felt I was being unfair to the 3 yr old by not allowing him snacks during long trips. We don’t go too crazy with food, but we certainly do allow snacking- sure the car needs regular vacuuming, but the change in policy has led to happier driving for all :)

You’re already anticipating your ride getting lots of attention, and that’s good. I say embrace it. We get positive comments almost every time we go out (not exaggerating), and when time permits, we use those moments to talk about Tesla, its mission, the environment, renewable energy, etc. I know some owners don’t like this part of the ownership experience, but for us, we think it’s awesome.

Also I’d echo what others have said about not hiding yourself as a Tesla owner. I come from a very financially modest background as well, Toyota all the way with cars, except like you, a fancy minivan from a few years back. I think for me, part of wanting to hide myself as an X owner was myself not having come to grips with the reality of having the luxury to be able to afford the X.

We too live in an ‘average’ neighborhood where there aren’t too many Teslas or other 80K+ cars, and we go to places like Walmart, Costco, Target, Public, etc. and have had no negative experiences in 4 months of ownership. If you’re super worried about your car getting keyed, I suppose you could look into getting your wrapped in XPEL. We didn’t our whole car, just the front, and we’re glad we did.

Also, like @andyaycw, we too would use the whole “well if we own our car for X years then it’ll be the same as having owned Y” with family and close friends who all know our ‘average car’ history.

Lastly, +1 on getting tints.

I’ll message you down the road when I head up north to visit family in Georgia, in case you’re near one of the superchargers along the way.

I’m as certain as I can be that you and your family will really love your car- to the extent that you just might find yourself popping into the garage to make sure she/he’s ok, or randomly open your Tesla app just because :) Cheers and welcome to the fam!!

• Love
Such great feedback!! It's amazing the responses and tips and over all discussions I've had in my very short time of actually participating (vs a very long time spectator). Tesla family is in deed one of a kind.

Thanks everyone for your time in reading and responding. It has helped me feel better about the financial to know I'm not "alone" in the thoughts as well. I look forward to promoting Tesla and EV's in general. I'll come up with a simple response to the money questions that I can just stick to so it comes out natural to move on to all the perks of EV's in general.

@SUMD You'll likely pass through the St Aug one. Certainly message me.. I find myself there often anyway to just get away and step back into history :)