Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the Tesla Family! What is/was your first Tesla road trip?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maryland -->Cape Cod and back. Quite a bit more relaxing than before my Model X. I was surprised at what a non-issue charging was. By the time the kids finished lunch, we had more than enough. I also picked a hotel with a destination charger, so that made the stay easier.

Our first multi-day road trip was from Houston, TX to Northern Virginia. Very easy drive, superchargers were not a problem and we used destination charging at night a couple of times as well. We just got back from a Houston to New Mexico trip earlier this month. We love traveling in it.
So I just drove Houston -> St. George, Utah in an ICE. I discovered that traveling via Albuquerque that all the gas stations turn to apocalyptic, windows-barred cesspools of filth once you pass Amarillo... at least the ones along the highway (maybe 2 in 12 were OK). Can you report that at least the bathrooms are fairly maintained/cleaned along your route/Superchargers? Maybe I can convince my wife to take the Tesla next time... o_O

On a lighter note, the National Park on the North rim of the Grand Canyon has overnight charging available for guests now (they told me so, at the front desk of the lodge).

WOW guys!! This is incredible, seeing so many of my fellow humans getting just as excited as I do talking Tesla. Really I am amazed and heartened :)

I'm looking forward to hearing more stories from any of our other brothers n sisters, and thank you SO much to everyone who's chimed in already. Great stories!

Hey too, I've got an idea... And please feel free to let me know where this falls on a scale from 1 to bat guano ludicrous... Who among you would join me at my delivery as soon as I can get the firm date/time??! I'll be the first and loudest to admit: I have NO clue how this group functions, but it seems very welcoming and I'm SUPER stoked about that Julian Ciderhouse trip next month. Woot! I'm just wondering if anyone had an interest in being there with me at the moment I receive my beautiful new S :-D

Depending on the interest, we could even let the delivery roll over into a casual happy hour type scenario nearby!

Anyhow, cheers to all of you! Soon as this site lets me upload a profile pic I'll try n show you how happy you all make me, just as you all look so happy. Love it!

Slainte!
Kevin, with a "K"

Hello Kevin with a "K", and welcome to the TMC group. Also welcome to the wonderful world of EV driving. Will this be your first EV? We started out with a 2013 Leaf SL, then 3.7 years later got our Tesla S 75D. We did not wait for delivery but flew to Denver to pick it up just under 3 months ago. Already over 11,000 miles on it.

Day 1-2: Denver CO to San Diego CA
Day 4-5: San Diego to Disneyland to San Diego
Week 2: San Diego to San Francisco to San Diego
Week 4-5: San Diego to IN to OH to GA to FL to San Diego

Next trip:
This Wednesday to Sunday: San Diego to Rock Springs WY to San Diego

We expect to be at or close to 15,000 miles on it by the end of month 4.

We Love Autopilot and Superchargers

We really LOVE our Tessi.

We will be at the National Drive Electric Week EVent at the "Q" on Saturday, September 9, 2017. If you are not registered yet please do.

National Drive Electric Week Event - San Diego

We would love to see you there in your New TESLA.

Reactions: JPUConn
First trip was day of delivery from CT to a weekend wedding in NJ then to visit family.

Experienced 2 mph charging at a Marriotts golf cart outlet, supercharging and 4 mph charging at my in-laws before installing a 14-50 in their garage. Learned a bunch about range anxiety and also how ez pass did not work at all on my 2013's windshield and I had to get an external transponder to mount behind the front bumper.

IMG_0545.JPG

The classic RWD S holds 9 Pepe's pizzas in the frunk.

IMG_0451.JPG

Shortly after did a week away in Narragansett RI and realized how much this car could hold for a family of 5 and that there is free charging/parking in Newport for EV's.

IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

Seattle to SF after flying in to pick up the car. Hadn't ever used a supercharger, so I just followed the nav to Centralia and hoped that it would be as easy as the previous owner said it would. The biggest challenge ended up being finding ways to keep the car charged once I got home while waiting for my electrician to install the HPWC. Since then there have been several trips each to L.A., San Diego, the Sierras and Canada. The Tesla is a great road-trip car, by far the best I've ever owned for the sheer enjoyment of hitting the road.

Toronto - Miami and back, about 5400 Km total, in a S90D. All using Superchargers except one night in Florida using a hotel destination charger. A little hesitant initially, despite every post and driver suggesting long road trips were easy with the on-board systems, due to having the entire family with me. Day 1 put those fears to rest. AP1 was fun and easy to use though we did have a few blips and hesitant lane changes. It took a bit of fore planning but it was well worth it.

Welcome to the family

First Road Trip was Dallas East to Savannah, GA and Beaufort, South Carolina.
Up to North Carolina, ONE and ONLY Supercharger encounter, return home through Tennessee and Arkansas.

Slow going: Charging was mostly Level 2 RV Parks and Some State Parks.

Superchargers are Tesla Owner's best travel friend.

First road trip was a week after delivery last summer, picked up the beautiful girl half way across the country in Toronto and drove back to Vancouver via, St. Louis, KC, Denver, Salt Lake City. Was so fun. The first couple days were scary since I was a supercharge n00b, but by the end of the trip range anxiety was a non issue. Just leave when the car tells you you can and you are good, (in the summer temps anyway).

Just finished another road trip to San Fran and back. Don't think I'll ever get tired of road tripping with this car.

Anyone up for sharing their first road trips in their new Tesla?

A week after getting my March 2015 S 85D, I loaded up camping supplies and headed south from the foothills east of Sacramento. I stopped in Las Vegas, and then camped in Zion National Park for a couple of days followed by Bryce Canyon camping (slept in the car itself while charging at an RV park rather than set up tent). Then Moab and Arches National Park (awesome!). Salt Lake City, and home via I-80 across Nevada . WOOT! I've since been to Whistler British Columbia twice, many other Utah trips including skiing at Park City, plus two trips to the east coast and back. 57k miles. Full charge still gets me 265 rated miles. It got 269 when new, so I'm pretty darn happy! No problems. One 'annual' service and I've replaced tires twice (my biggest expense; more than either insurance or california's crazy registration fee).
OgthsVj.jpg

LCrZhLQ.jpg

The above photo shows my blue tent in the center. I have my folding Novara bike from REI visible in the trunk.

We've now done three major trips in our 2014 Model S. Here's a link to our first, almost 8,000 miles coast to coast:

Yorba Linda Vacationers First To Go Coast To Coast Mostly by Autosteer

Last year we made a dash to Colorado and we just came back from a trip to Banff.

I share these with you to encourage you to try distance driving in your Tesla. It requires a bit of planning, but it works and it is fun. Go forth!!
Diane Adventure Map copy.jpg
1-Banff Electric Drive Map.png
Coast to Coast on Autosteer.jpg

My first road trip was immediately after delivery, I drove from the Bay Area (pickup at Tesla Plant in Fremont) to Anaheim in order to get my Reus audio system installed. Only one SC stop along the way. On the way down, I had bad audio, and autopilot that only would work up to 50mph. I got an upgrade while I was in L.A., and drove home with autosteer working up to 70mph! woot!

Two days after taking delivery in later September 2014, I launched from Denver to the east coast -- Boston, then South Carolina, and back home. 7000 miles in 3 weeks. At that time the only route to the east was I-90, so there was an extra day each way driving north to South Dakota. Superchargers all the way, and learning all the things that contribute to the difference between "rated range" and reality.

Driving thru South Dakota on the way back, I was listening to the radio when Elon announced the new P85D with 4WD and autopilot. Spent the next hour gnashing my teeth over the fact that my 3 week old car was already obsolete.

• Love
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I took our Model S back home to Nova Scotia in summer 2015. Last Supercharger was in Drummondville, Québec. Did the same planning on PlugShare about eight times in anticipation and though it took a bit of extra time at level 2 chargers, with an overnight stay in Fredericton, NB being my first hotel overnight charge, the last 1100 km went smoothly. Had great fun showing off my "fancy new car" to my wife's relatives. With her elderly uncles I pretended I needed something in the house after telling them to go ahead and get in, so I could come out and see them pawing at the handles trying to figure out how to get into the car. Then I popped the frunk to show them the "engine" only to have a single pair of sneakers sitting there.

540 mile round day trip from Philly area to Shyndigz in Richmond, VA in early Feb '17 for: Chocolate Cake! Damn you Ali Khan and Cheap Eats!

Back then, in the good 'ol days, only TACC was released, and it was truly not good. False heavy braking for overpasses and random signs down I 95. I'll never forget the wife's "and you bought this car, why???"

Thankfully, updates since then have made a major improvement.

Flew to Denver from Houston to pick my car up.. Drove it back having never actually driven a Tesla. Used autopilot for 90% of the drive back. Ran the car to 0 miles but made it to the Supercharger... No regrets and haven't looked back.

Shortly after did a week away in Narragansett RI and realized how much this car could hold for a family of 5 and that there is free charging/parking in Newport for EV's.

View attachment 241596 View attachment 241597 View attachment 241598 View attachment 241600 View attachment 241601
View attachment 241599

Wow! That is really impressive!! Good use of every inch of storage and more.

Our first trip and only trip so far was just a month or so ago from the SF bay area to Santa Ynez. One stop at Atascadero for charging while grabbing lunch. Supercharger in Buellton made it really convenient to "fill up" and drive around the area there. Love this part of California. Took in an outdoor play one evening, outdoor concert another, horseback riding one afternoon, wine tasting another. Great food in the area too. Really just wanted a relaxing few days and the drive down and back was enjoyable too. Arrived in Santa Ynez the day after the big Whittier Fire started so our baby got a sprinkling of ash the first day or two. Saw a number of forest fires burning off 101 on the way down and then back. And the BioDefense works well keeping the smoke out of the cabin. Super impressed with how the car handled the 7% Cuesta Grade near San Luis Obisbo. And always great to drive along the ocean near Pismo Beach. Just really loved the ride and handling of the car during this trip. Very comfortable car with nice storage of luggage and such for trips. Trying to plan where that next trip will be now.

Last edited: