TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New to the Tesla Family! What is/was your first Tesla road trip?!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by generalpenn, Aug 14, 2017.

1. generalpenn

generalpenn Member

Hi everyone!

If there is one group of people I do NOT have to wonder about when it comes to enthusiasm for Teslas it's likely THIS one :) Just wanted to say hello and that I'm super excited to be joining all of you, my Model S arrives next week. I'm already planning various road trips and I think the first one is probably a little bit special-er than the others, though they're all special to be sure. Was thinking of taking the coast (PCH) all the way up to Santa Barbara...how about you?! Anyone up for sharing their first road trips in their new Tesla?! I'm really interested in hearing both from those who've already taken ownership as well as those who, like me, are awaiting delivery but have already begun dreaming...

Cheers everyone!

• Like x 3
  2. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

Welcome! My first road trip in my Model X was from San Diego to Valencia to go to Magic Mountain (with a stop at Disneyland on the way). It went very well. Autopilot was a god-send in LA traffic.

Andrew

3. jiggy

jiggy Member

My first is coming this weekend - taking the S from Dallas toward St Louis to get into the path of totality for the eclipse on Monday. Pretty excited about the whole affair.

• Like x 1
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

LA -> Phoenix.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

Denver to Manhattan (KS) ;)

6. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Our first multi-day road trip was from Houston, TX to Northern Virginia. Very easy drive, superchargers were not a problem and we used destination charging at night a couple of times as well. We just got back from a Houston to New Mexico trip earlier this month. We love traveling in it.

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Welcome!
    My first trip was from Sacramento CA to San Diego CA

8. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

San Francisco to Las Vegas. Not that I really want to drive that far, but to know that I can do it in an EV is great. :)

9. golfnut

golfnut Member

My first road trip was driving back home after buying my MS just over a year ago from an owner in the LA area back to NorCal. Was told by the original owner that my Signature S was 1 of only 250 with the Sig Red exterior and White interior. On my 3rd supercharger stop coming back home I charged right next to one of the other 250, Sig Red and white. The owner and I had a good laugh over that and he shared some Tesla advice to me as a new owner. Only had small range anxiety as I got to know my new friend for my first extended travel. I'm much more prepared and comfortable about long range trips now. Welcome and enjoy!

• Like x 1
  10. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Mine was Miami to New Orleans. Back then there were quite a few overnight stops for L2 charging and a couple Nissan dealerships who generously allowed use of their CHAdeMO.
    My most recent long one was Boston-Quebec City-Detroit-Boston. Superchargers everywhere except Quebec City and had good Destination Charger (Now there is a SC just outside Quebec City.
    I am in awe that every road trip is easier than the one before, and every trip is more fun.
    AP-1 received the first automative lane keeping (OK, Autosteer) while I was on a road trip from Columbus, Ohio back to Miami. I received the upgrade advice just as I was going to my car to begin the trip, so I delayed the trip to install and discovered Autosteer! Somewhere here is my three-day-long initiation into AP-1 Autosteer. That was amazing.

For all of you beginning now with new cars, be prepared! Those OTA updates will blow you away. They still do for me almost three years later.

11. animorph

animorph Member

We went from Scottsdale AZ to Charlotte NC to Beltsville MD and back to Scottsdale about two weeks after I picked up the Model X. I think people who take long trips like this in a new car are crazy, but we had a blast. We used the 120V plug in Charlotte while staying with our son. Enough to keep us going except for one longer trip via Supercharger. We made one extra trip to the Supercharger in Laurel at the other stop, with no overnight plugs available to us. We didn't make an effort to look for destination chargers during travel since it's just a stop between Supercharger visits much of the time, though it can save time.

We used TACC most of the time, Autosteer was a little "drunk" then (April 2017). I was fine with that, and it was very easy driving that way. I would have never considered the trip without TACC. Autosteer seems smooth enough now to give it a try for our next trip.

12. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Welcome to TMC! Our first road trip was a round trip from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento a couple weeks after taking delivery. We hit the Vacaville Supercharger on the way back "just because" (we could have made it without charging). It turned into a very expensive charging stop because it's located at an outlet mall and, well, let's say we departed with a full battery, a full trunk, and empty wallets. :rolleyes:

Bruce.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Takumi

Takumi Member

Chicago - Niagara Falls - Boston

All without AP or cruise because Tesla is infamous on their parts availability.

14. jlarmstr

jlarmstr Member

Drove from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA ... totally smooth, supercharging is a snap.

15. kort677

kort677 Banned

upon delivery I drove the car from NJ to FLA

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Of all the posts here this is clearly the most informative and helpful. :eek:So many uyperchargers are located close to places that facilitate spending with adequate time to allow looking that the fuel savings disappear. Unluckily the S has huge storage ability so can take almost anything. My personal contribution: on a short trip we ended out with a furniture store near the Supercharger. The S then swallowed a love seat and two chairs. At least we had no delivery fee!

17. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

My first trip was an immediate one from San Diego to San Jose(we took delivery on 12/30 while visiting family in SD). But my first real road trip just for fun was from San Jose out to Yosemite in January.

18. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Just took the fam on our first true trip in the Model X this last weekend. Drove up to a friend's cabin around Superior National Forest. Had three Supercharger stops, hit up a charging station at a State Park, and a destination charger at a random lodge.

Was a good time.

19. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Our first road trip was in the spring of 2013 when there were six superchargers. It was from southern California to Monterrey and San Francisco. Harris Ranch was one stall back then.

• Love x 1
  20. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

In April 2010, I went from Seattle to San Diego in my Roadster.

At the time, the nearest charging station (which was level 2; there was no DC charging back then) was in San Francisco.

Things have changed a LOT in just a few years.

• Love x 1