Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Trak Sport Snow Chains on Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice GG! Part of me wished I had skied or snowboarded the extra day at Mammoth, but I didn't want to get caught in crazy traffic on MLK Monday evening (ironically got back early enough to get stuck at a standstill for 1 hour on the bay bridge... thanks BLM protestors!)

Anyway, back on topic -- I thought I *almost* needed chains today as I plowed through about a foot of fresh pow on my way out of Mammoth. But the P85D showed its AWD strength once again! And yes, it was fun passing snow plows and SUVs :biggrin:

Here's a short video showing a small portion of that epic drive:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Trak Sport chains on my RWD S for the first time today in Yosemite. They work great and are amazingly easy to mount and remove. I highly recommend them.
@MarcG: what kind of tires are you running? Surely not all seasons. But whatever tires you have on, the performance of your Dual Motor S in that much snow is impressive!

I used the Trak Sport chains on my RWD S for the first time today in Yosemite. They work great and are amazingly easy to mount and remove. I highly recommend them.
@MarcG: what kind of tires are you running? Surely not all seasons. But whatever tires you have on, the performance of your Dual Motor S in that much snow is impressive!

Glad to hear they worked out for you!

You probably won't believe me, but I have the stock Tesla 19" rims with stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires!
Yes they're all-season with M+S rating, but it must be the AWD that really helps get through all the snow - that or my amazing driving talents :biggrin:

Marc, I believe you! :) (Full disclosure: Marc sold me his Trak Sport chains last month because he decided he didn't need them.)
Yes, it is amazing that your Dual Motor S handles so well in snow with the stock Michelins and no chains. I am also running the stock Michelins but with RWD don't have the same level of control that you enjoy in your S.
I'm sure my S would do better in snow with proper winter tires. But I live in the SF Bay Area so do not change to different tires for the winter months.

I'm sure my S would do better in snow with proper winter tires. But I live in the SF Bay Area so do not change to different tires for the winter months.

Yeah same here. I used to have two sets of wheels for my Audi, one for the winter (stock 17") and one for the summer (19" BBS CH) with appropriate tires for the seasons.

But since getting the P85D, I found the Primacy's to be more than adequate in all conditions, on top of having low rolling resistance and being quiet.

So as of right now, I don't see the point of having a second set! (or chains for that matter, as you well know :biggrin:)

So as of right now, I don't see the point of having a second set! (or chains for that matter, as you well know :biggrin:)
What are you carrying in your car now? Especially in the California mountains, I'd still want to keep a set of chains for "emergency" use:
- To be prepared for the possibility of being caught in "R-3" conditions wherein all vehicles must have chains installed.
- In case the car gets stuck in a snowbank, etc., and you want to get unstuck quickly.
- In case a need arises to climb a steep driveway or side street that's covered by a sheet of ice that the all-season tires can't grip.
- Most importantly, in case a CHP officer or Caltrans employee should ask you to show them the chains that you are legally obligated to carry during winter.

What are you carrying in your car now? Especially in the California mountains, I'd still want to keep a set of chains for "emergency" use:
- To be prepared for the possibility of being caught in "R-3" conditions wherein all vehicles must have chains installed.
- In case the car gets stuck in a snowbank, etc., and you want to get unstuck quickly.
- In case a need arises to climb a steep driveway or side street that's covered by a sheet of ice that the all-season tires can't grip.
- Most importantly, in case a CHP officer or Caltrans employee should ask you to show them the chains that you are legally obligated to carry during winter.

Have lived in California for 50+ years with a home in Squaw Valley and have never needed chains with R-3 as the roads are closed.

What's wrong with this photo ... Hint, it's not R-3 or the OP. :cool:

photo572.jpg

Have lived in California for 50+ years with a home in Squaw Valley and have never needed chains with R-3 as the roads are closed.

What's wrong with this photo ... Hint, it's not R-3 or the OP. :cool:

View attachment 109357

What do you expect, it's a Prius driver... and from Oregon, too! :biggrin: *runs and hides*

Seriously though, I haven't bought another set of chains yet but probably should (a basic, less expensive set) just as a backup. If anything, to show the nice CHP that I abide by the laws of the roads :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I haven't bought another set of chains yet but probably should (a basic, less expensive set) just as a backup. If anything, to show the nice CHP that I abide by the laws of the roads :rolleyes:
Relative to what a decent driver actually needs for the conditions, I agree that the state does go overboard on chain enforcement. On the other hand, chain requirements are effective at slowing traffic, limiting the number of cars on the roads, and thus reducing accidents. So do your part and keep the CHP happy. :)

Also, where I live, we do indeed occasionally have R-3 conditions and open roads.

So as we have the RWD model, and we're going to a cabin way up in the mountain this weekend, we decided to buy the snow chains just to be sure. We already have spiked winter tires (Hakka 8), but sometimes feel like we don't have the traction we really need.

Installed them tonight just to test, and took a quick 2 minute drive with them on. Followed the instructions on the video on Teslarati, but after I started to drive it sounded like something was loose, and the faster I tried to drive the more noise it was making. It didn't sound like it was hitting the car, more like the chain was a bit loose on the tires. However they feel very tight when I put them on and when I took them off again.

So is this normal? Or might I have done something wrong? Added some pics of one of the tires, the other one looks pretty much the same. Should I have left more chains between the wheel and the center part (about 2 now)? Or would that make it even more loose?

IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
I bought the Tesla recommended Trak Sport chains directly from Maggi, and got them shipped from Italy in December. I needed them urgently for a trip.

As mentioned by others in the thread, putting them on and taking them off is super easy and takes only minutes after you get used to them. But I still had some negative experience.

The first time I installed them, after driving about 20 miles, one of them came off while I was driving, and rolled off on the road. I went back to pick it up, and met with the snow plow driver who was following me. He told me these kind of chains are no good, and recommended me to not use them. He also told me he has seen other drivers having the same issue of them coming off.

Anyway, I sort of ignored his comments, and figured they only came off because I did not tighten them on my lug nuts enough. This time, I put them on and made sure they stick to the lug nuts really tight. I drover the rest of the trip without any issues. Although they kept me nervous, and I had to keep checking on them every little while. One time, the elastic came off. I also noticed the elastic was not as tight as it was when they were new. I drive around 40-50 miles on the first day, without any other incident.

The next day, after driving with the chains on - again super tight on the lug nuts - for about 40 miles, unfortunately, one of the chains broke! Not the mechanism that keeps it held on to the tire, not the plastic connectors, not the elastic, but the actual chain! I had another 4-5 miles of snow driving left on the trip, which I managed with just one tire on chains.

Now, I am wondering if there is a way to weld the chain or replace it. I do not want to buy the entire set again. Does anyone have any advice?

Really, these chains are not worth the trouble as mentioned below. Go with low profile chains or snow tires as conditions require.

I bought the Tesla recommended Trak Sport chains directly from Maggi, and got them shipped from Italy in December. I needed them urgently for a trip.
As mentioned by others in the thread, putting them on and taking them off is super easy and takes only minutes after you get used to them. But I still had some negative experience.
The first time I installed them, after driving about 20 miles, one of them came off while I was driving, and rolled off on the road. I went back to pick it up, and met with the snow plow driver who was following me. He told me these kind of chains are no good, and recommended me to not use them. He also told me he has seen other drivers having the same issue of them coming off.

Anyway, I sort of ignored his comments, and figured they only came off because I did not tighten them on my lug nuts enough. This time, I put them on and made sure they stick to the lug nuts really tight. I drover the rest of the trip without any issues. Although they kept me nervous, and I had to keep checking on them every little while. One time, the elastic came off. I also noticed the elastic was not as tight as it was when they were new. I drive around 40-50 miles on the first day, without any other incident.
The next day, after driving with the chains on - again super tight on the lug nuts - for about 40 miles, unfortunately, one of the chains broke! Not the mechanism that keeps it held on to the tire, not the plastic connectors, not the elastic, but the actual chain! I had another 4-5 miles of snow driving left on the trip, which I managed with just one tire on chains.

Now, I am wondering if there is a way to weld the chain or replace it. I do not want to buy the entire set again. Does anyone have any advice?

Don't they come with a 1-year warranty? If so you should be able to get it replaced.

Thanks. I guess I will check with them. As I mentioned, I got it delivered from Italy. Using the warranty is not going to be easy.