Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
? The whole purpose of power sharing is for the TUWC to communicate with each other to not draw more amps that you set. That is the whole point. If you have multiple circuits you dont need power sharing at all. You just individually define the max charging amps per WC. Power sharing with multiple WC will allow a single WC to charge a full 48 amps if its the only one in use. If another car plugs in to another WC they will throttle down to share 48 amps or whatever you have configured in the power sharing for max amps.
If you have space in your main panel for only a single breaker for charging, it is acceptable to install a sub panel fed from that breaker with a separate breaker for each branch circuit. That accomplishes the goal of sharing power from the first breaker.

There are also cases where you may have room for multiple breakers in the main panel, but need to limit your total power draw due to your service limit feeding the house. Installing multiple breakers in the main panel would be cheaper than installing a sub-panel and using the power sharing, you can keep the total power draw within your service limits. That is, assuming this meets code.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you have space in your main panel for only a single breaker for charging, it is acceptable to install a sub panel fed from that breaker with a separate breaker for each branch circuit. That accomplishes the goal of sharing power from the first breaker.

There are also cases where you may have room for multiple breakers in the main panel, but need to limit your total power draw due to your service limit feeding the house. Installing multiple breakers in the main panel would be cheaper than installing a sub-panel and using the power sharing, you can keep the total power draw within your service limits. That is, assuming this meets code.
Sure but not necessary for a home use setup. Now if you are a business running many WCs you can load share across multiple circuits 100 amp, 60 amp, etc.

Thanks. I did eventually find it. And Tesla did change the requirement, at least for the Universal WC to allow connecting to a single branch circuit. I wonder if this applies retroactively to the Gen 3 WCs? The Gen 3 WC manual still states that each unit must be on a separate branch circuit.

I would like to have the option of adding another WC but do not want to install a subpanel if I don't have to do so to meet code.

Have you tried this before?

Once you navigate to the troubleshooting page for wall connectors, you'll find these options:
View attachment 986935

I didn't see a Universal Wall Connector, so I select Gen 3.

Now, which problem do I select since none of them accurately describe the problem?

View attachment 986934

Selecting Error or No Lights, you'll notice there isn't one for "solid green"

View attachment 986936

Whatever option you select, you're trying to navigate to some kind of customer service interaction.

All options in this choose your own adventure lead to this form submission page:

View attachment 986937

I have submitted requests with details here. I have heard nothing.

All of Tesla's previously published email addresses for support have autoresponders saying the email addresses are no longer monitored.

All bad my friends, all bad.
I just call the Tesla Wall Connector tech support. They pick up the phone pretty quickly.

My wife, a reluctant EV adopter, and I picked up our new Rivian yesterday (for her). Two weeks ago, I installed a Gen 3 Tesla wall charger on my side of the garage (Model S) and a universal wall charger on the other side for the Rivian to use. The chargers share the same 50 Amp circuit, and the inter-charger communication was crucial for potentially having two vehicles plugged in simultaneously.

We arrived home, and she was excited to plug in the Rivian for its first home charge, only to have NOTHING HAPPEN. It was so frustrating, and what an excellent introduction to EV ownership for her.

Our Rivian would try to negotiate and did recognize it was plugged in, but the charger never showed any signs of negotiating (blue LED). It just remained with a steady green LED. Eventually, the Rivian would fail, and the car would say to unplug and try again—multiple times with the same result.

I went through the Tesla Pro app and factory reset both chargers. I downloaded the latest firmware to both and reconfigured them again to accept any vehicle. No change. As others have said, the universal charger would charge my Model S without issue but would not negotiate with the Rivian through the J1772 adapter.

I took the NACS to J1772 adapter off the universal charger and used it to plug the Rivian into the other NACS-only charger. It immediately showed the blue LED and then began charging the Rivian.

This is obviously some poor firmware on the universal wall charger. I will start contacting Tesla, but please keep this thread updated with your results to get this working.
What firmware are you running? I got a new build pushed last Friday "HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb". My charger works as expected after the firmware update.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Thanks. I did eventually find it. And Tesla did change the requirement, at least for the Universal WC to allow connecting to a single branch circuit. I wonder if this applies retroactively to the Gen 3 WCs? The Gen 3 WC manual still states that each unit must be on a separate branch circuit.

I would like to have the option of adding another WC but do not want to install a subpanel if I don't have to do so to meet code.
Yeah that seems to be the cheapest option for sure. I left a loop of cable on my existing run where I could add a junction box and split the 60A circuit to a second WC later on. I dont foresee needing that anytime soon but just wanted it as an option. I ended up mounting my WC so it can reach all three bays. We dont drive enough miles to need two EVs charging every night.

Power sharing is the reason I went with a Tesla WC though even without a Tesla as I figured they know what they are doing on the power sharing tech. These are the same units they are putting in as destination chargers etc. Hilton 20k units, etc.

Good day all, the electrician just left and the Tesla Universal Wall Connector, after connecting to the WiFi and it downloading new firmwear, charges my Model S and my wife’s Bolt with out issue. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised . I do have one question. I did not do anything more than adding the TUWC to my Tesla App. I did not tell it what amps the breaker is(60) . It is properly running at 48 amps, is that a default? I don’t know how it could know that. Thanks for all the info everyone has provided. Almost forgot, where do I see the firmware version the wall connector is running, do not notice it in the app.

Good day all, the electrician just left and the Tesla Universal Wall Connector, after connecting to the WiFi and it downloading new firmwear, charges my Model S and my wife’s Bolt with out issue. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised . I do have one question. I did not do anything more than adding the TUWC to my Tesla App. I did not tell it what amps the breaker is(60) . It is properly running at 48 amps, is that a default? I don’t know how it could know that. Thanks for all the info everyone has provided.
It defaults to a 60a breaker. But should be set properly during the provisioning process.

Reactions: MP3Mike

Sweet! This is just what I and others were guessing Tesla was going to do. Officially come out with guidance that you don't have to have a subpanel/load center and can just use one circuit. Me and the "tesla certified" electrician that installed my new wall connector and UWC thought the subpanel was dumb and wouldn't pass inspection so we just used polaris taps. Hard to see in the pic, but just a small junction box above the first WC that has taps in it.

20231103_200957.jpg

The manual is still a mess though. It didn't change any wording with this page...just shoe horned in the new diagram. Looks like they rushed it too...notice the diagram isn't as "neat" as the originals (like, meter is not centered in the circles any more, and a line isn't straight on the left example).

powershare.jpg

Plus....different than the old gen 3 manual, they added several new pages like page 35 and 36....that only has the original 2 examples and bad sentences like "Electric vehicle branch circuits can be installed in shared panels or dedicated EV panels" ...so not mentioning the single branch circuit setup. It at least says "can" instead of "must" but its still murky.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I'm sure the power sharing tech has improved now with big hotel chains like Hilton moving forward with significant install projects. The commissioning process ultimately should determine how the wall connectors are used. The power feed should be up to the owner or local code requirements. I would guess most electrical codes related to L2 chargers arent Tesla specific so would be lagging behind in many cases. Ex if they require dedicated circuits per EVSE vs shared etc.

Its not clear if the Hilton hotels will be providing 48 amps to each of the 6-10 chargers they are planning to install per hotel. They will probably come up with some type of average like 24 amps x 10 chargers or something I would think.

just got the new uwc yesterday, did the install today and it doesn't work with the f150, when I use the 3rd party j1772 adapter the vehicle starts charging immediately. I am on the 23.24.3 firmware. my part number is 1734412-02-d. Will be contacting tesla tomorrow to see what is going on. Has anyone recently resolved this with a firmware update.