Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand Government to provide EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LCT on EVs is badly thought out.

EVs aren't expensive because they are luxurious. Most of the cost is because of the EV technology. It is outrageous to penalise people who are happy to spend extra on a car that has fewer negative externalities (eg. pollution, imported petrol, noise, CO2 emissions).

I would buy a new Tesla every 3 years without LCT, but will make it every 5 years because of the extra cost.

Reactions: nigwil and paulp
The LCT on EVs is badly thought out.

EVs aren't expensive because they are luxurious. Most of the cost is because of the EV technology. It is outrageous to penalise people who are happy to spend extra on a car that has fewer negative externalities (eg. pollution, imported petrol, noise, CO2 emissions).

I would buy a new Tesla every 3 years without LCT, but will make it every 5 years because of the extra cost.
Tesla’s get a reduced LCT, which the government considers to be an incentive

Good news that the NZ government will hopefully increase EV incentives. A quote from that article:

“New Zealand is one of only a handful of developed countries without vehicle emission standards, and the Productivity Commission has pointed to the risk of New Zealand becoming a dumping ground for heavy, polluting vehicles that other countries won't buy. ”

Is that correct that NZ has no vehicle emissions standards? “No” as in “no requirements whatsoever”?

Good news that the NZ government will hopefully increase EV incentives. A quote from that article:

“New Zealand is one of only a handful of developed countries without vehicle emission standards, and the Productivity Commission has pointed to the risk of New Zealand becoming a dumping ground for heavy, polluting vehicles that other countries won't buy. ”

Is that correct that NZ has no vehicle emissions standards? “No” as in “no requirements whatsoever”?
Correct. As much as we like to make out like we are “clean & green” we are often very slow to adopt standards around things such as air pollution.

I believe as part of the annual car warrant process there is a smoke test to see if the car is burning oil. However, there is nothing re emission standards such as EuroVI etc.

Fleet buyers use ratings such as NCAP and Euro to select/differentiate new cars, but nothing is mandated for public buyers.

This situation is primarily due to the large used car market here - mostly cars from Japan, which has been dominant since the 1980s. The average age of Kiwi cars is 14 years.

Correct. As much as we like to make out like we are “clean & green” we are often very slow to adopt standards around things such as air pollution.

I believe as part of the annual car warrant process there is a smoke test to see if the car is burning oil. However, there is nothing re emission standards such as EuroVI etc.

Fleet buyers use ratings such as NCAP and Euro to select/differentiate new cars, but nothing is mandated for public buyers.

This situation is primarily due to the large used car market here - mostly cars from Japan, which has been dominant since the 1980s. The average age of Kiwi cars is 14 years.
Actually I’m no longer correct. According to our Land Transport Authority (www.nzta.govt.nz) it appears we now use Euro V and equivalent for vehicles produced after 2013.