Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question/s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing I noticed was the vampire drain on the battery seems a lot as I think I lost about maybe 5 or more miles while the car was parked from 6pm.

Make sure you have "energy saving" turned on in the car's settings (the few seconds penalty this incurs at startup is barely noticeable).
You can consider also selecting "always connected=no", though that does impose a substantial penalty (~30 sec) on using the mobile app when the car is asleep.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
TeslaFi can put the car to sleep when parked at specific geofenced locations / times /etc. (Well, I might be wrong that it "puts the car to sleep", and perhaps all it does is to stop talking to it, and thereby allowing it to sleep.

having multiple applications is likely to prevent sleep, as they will all be causing the car to communicate at different moments.

Reactions: firewire
Make sure you have "energy saving" turned on in the car's settings (the few seconds penalty this incurs at startup is barely noticeable).
You can consider also selecting "always connected=no", though that does impose a substantial penalty (~30 sec) on using the mobile app when the car is asleep.

I might be wrong here, but I have a feeling on the new MCU2 cars, which I think @firewire will have, the “always connected” and “energy saving” options have been removed. Perhaps @firewire could confirm that?

I use Remote S too, I like the complex all-on-one screen. Pretty sure that Tesla APP and Remote S will only talk to car when "in use", so shouldn't wake the car unnecessarily.

One option: Change password (in MyTesla). That will deactivate all APPs, leave it like that for a couple of days and see if you are still getting excess Vampire Drain

One option: Change password (in MyTesla). That will deactivate all APPs, leave it like that for a couple of days and see if you are still getting excess Vampire Drain

I did that so let's see if that resolves the issue. BTW how do you tell when your car was manufactured? I only know it was registered in September. The reason being Tesla said all Model S sold after June 2018 will have the updated key fob to prevent those cloning attacks by hackers, otherwise Model S owners will need to ask Tesla for replacement key fobs.Pretty sure I have the updated key fob, I have the passive entry disabled in any case.

BTW as a side note coming from the BMW the only thing I'm really missing is the Active Steering feature. It's simply amazing to have especially on tight London roads. Just makes turning in tight spots so effortless. Wish Tesla would introduce it in their next major refresh!

Last edited:
I did that so let's see if that resolves the issue. BTW how do you tell when your car was manufactured? I only know it was registered in September. The reason being Tesla said all Model S sold after June 2018 will have the updated key fob to prevent those cloning attacks by hackers, otherwise Model S owners will need to ask Tesla for replacement key fobs.Pretty sure I have the updated key fob, I have the passive entry disabled in any case.

BTW as a side note coming from the BMW the only thing I'm really missing is the Active Steering feature. It's simply amazing to have especially on tight London roads. Just makes turning in tight spots so effortless. Wish Tesla would introduce it in their next major refresh!

I’m sure if you gave the SC the VIN they could tell you the date of manufacturer. You might even be able to get it by ringing the support number and they can dial into the car.

What does the Active Steering do?

So yesterday I called Tesla service and asked about when I would receive updates as I thought that Tesla pushes updates via their LTE but the Tesla rep advised me to make sure I have the car connected to Wifi in order to receive them. Now I don't have the option of being able to get my car connected to my home wifi so I'm thinking of getting a mobile hotspot. Anyone in a similar situation?

So yesterday I called Tesla service and asked about when I would receive updates as I thought that Tesla pushes updates via their LTE but the Tesla rep advised me to make sure I have the car connected to Wifi in order to receive them. Now I don't have the option of being able to get my car connected to my home wifi so I'm thinking of getting a mobile hotspot. Anyone in a similar situation?

No for the first time service have given you duff info. There are loads of owners whose cars never see WiFi and happily receive updates.

What is supposedly true, although difficult to prove, is that once a batch of cars have been selected to receive an update it is initially pushed over WiFi. Consequently being on WiFi should mean you’ll get the update sooner that if you aren’t.

Reactions: .jg.
I have parked in the same place since new. Car reliably hooks up to WiFi each time I park. Used to get updates regularly, that stopped over a year ago and haven't had any (that I can think of) since. Each time car has been for service it has been updated. On the one occasion I raised a support ticket I never got a reply but the car received an update (after several weeks which It rook to be the time it took for Service to read my ticket. The ones that they have responded to, about referrals, have typically taken 6 weeks for them to reply :confused:) [maybe that suggests that my WiFi is blocking something, and LTE only then happened when someone at Tesla-end "pushed" it]

I've given up bothering about updates, can't be bothered chasing them every time. When the car was last in for service (a month or two back) I asked them to look into it. They said "Log shows FAILED every time", I have no idea if they actually did anything, but no updates since then.

When the car was last in for service (a month or two back) I asked them to look into it. They said "Log shows FAILED every time", I have no idea if they actually did anything, but no updates since then.

That's exactly what they told me as well that they can see the updates failed a few times so I guess I will have to get a mobile hotspot and see if that does the trick.

That's exactly what they told me as well that they can see the updates failed a few times so I guess I will have to get a mobile hotspot and see if that does the trick.

If @WannabeOwner's failed whilst on wifi I wouldn't have thought you plugging into a wifi hotspot would make any difference. Sounds like there's something else going on. I remember reading that some Model X owners were having problems with updates and it was because they had faulty door sensors, and any fault like that would cause the update to fail.

It is more accurate to say that your car has more chance of getting an update while connected to a strong WiFi signal, with a fast Internet connection - but it can still get updates when only connected via cellular data. However, being on WiFi doesn't mean you won't have to wait a few weeks or even months for an update and there is no way for owners to trigger an update.
All Tesla cars have the credentials to connect with the WiFi at any Tesla service centre and there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that cars are more likely to receive updates whilst on service centre WiFi. Additionally, Tesla staff can push updates to your car.

If @WannabeOwner's failed whilst on wifi I wouldn't have thought you plugging into a wifi hotspot would make any difference. Sounds like there's something else going on. I remember reading that some Model X owners were having problems with updates and it was because they had faulty door sensors, and any fault like that would cause the update to fail.

That's interesting. Well I have ordered a mobile hotspot from Amazon with same-day delivery so will test it out for a few days and see if I get lucky otherwise will have to speak with Tesla again. Maybe take the car in for service for them to diagnose why I'm unable to receive updates. Chose this one: GlocalMe G3