Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, here's a few (still waiting for my T):

(Please do not feel compelled to answer all these - just pick any that you wish or even just make a comment on the topic that us newbies can learn from)

1. Your boot opens automatically which causes no problems at home. But say you are now out shopping at a carpark with a low roof. How do you open and stop the boot?

2. I know the car has no spare tyre (unlike Dborn's signature). Does it come with a tyre repair kit or do you buy that separately? And since there is no spare tyre, wouldn't the next lot of tyres you put on the car have to be run-flats, especially if you want to take the car on long family holidays at times?

3. Any mistakes that you experienced guys made that us newbies should learn from? Any late-learned lessons? Any useful hints or suggestions that are not main stream?

4. Is the car a pain to reverse park? Is it too big? What about the view from the bonnet to any front obstacle eg, car, kerb, low fence. Are their warning sensors there? Do they work? Should be a bloody camera down there right?

5. I take it the centre windscreen mirror does not change with profiles? Is it auto-dimming? If so, can that be switched off?

6. I understand the external passenger-side mirror can auto dip in reverse. But can that setting be programmed and does it lock in profiles?

7. How is the valet mode checking out for you guys? Do you use it every time you go to a car wash? Would you use it if the wife was borrowing the car to pick up her friends? Does it make any driving difference at all?

8. Auto air suspension. I get that you have it up high for your driveways right... but do you set it to high for that local street that has speed bumps in it? And why would you ever use the middle setting? In fact why is there even a low setting, doesn't it just go there automatically when you go fast?

9. What about the set and forget functions from the moment you get the car. Does everyone just set the wipers to auto rain detect and forget about it? Auto high-beam and forget about it? Auto passenger mirror tilt? Auto setting for boot?

10. Has anyone else bought a screen protector? If you haven't would you consider it? I just didn't want everyone else mucking around (scratching) the monitor which is supposed to last the life of the car, so I bought one. Am I a nut?

... Others to come...?? I bought "Owning Model S" but it is still in Florida somewhere...

Thanks in advance...

OK, here's a few (still waiting for my T):

(Please do not feel compelled to answer all these - just pick any that you wish or even just make a comment on the topic that us newbies can learn from)

1. Your boot opens automatically which causes no problems at home. But say you are now out shopping at a carpark with a low roof. How do you open and stop the boot?

ONE CLICK ON KEY STOPS BOOT

2. I know the car has no spare tyre (unlike Dborn's signature). Does it come with a tyre repair kit or do you buy that separately? And since there is no spare tyre, wouldn't the next lot of tyres you put on the car have to be run-flats, especially if you want to take the car on long family holidays at times?

YOU HAVE TO BUT THE PUMP/GOO - $70 FROM MEMORY

3. Any mistakes that you experienced guys made that us newbies should learn from? Any late-learned lessons? Any useful hints or suggestions that are not main stream?

LEARN TO UNDERSTAND WHAT USES UP ELECTRICITY

4. Is the car a pain to reverse park? Is it too big? What about the view from the bonnet to any front obstacle eg, car, kerb, low fence. Are their warning sensors there? Do they work? Should be a bloody camera down there right?

EASY TO PARK - ALL ROUND SENSORS DISPLAYED BELOW REVERSING CAMERA

5. I take it the centre windscreen mirror does not change with profiles? Is it auto-dimming? If so, can that be switched off?

CORRECT, YES, NOT THAT I KNOW OF

6. I understand the external passenger-side mirror can auto dip in reverse. But can that setting be programmed and does it lock in profiles?

CORRECT - STORED IN PROFILES

7. How is the valet mode checking out for you guys? Do you use it every time you go to a car wash? Would you use it if the wife was borrowing the car to pick up her friends? Does it make any driving difference at all?

I USE IT WHEN LEFT FOR WORK - TINT/REPAIR

8. Auto air suspension. I get that you have it up high for your driveways right... but do you set it to high for that local street that has speed bumps in it? And why would you ever use the middle setting? In fact why is there even a low setting, doesn't it just go there automatically when you go fast?

HAVE ONLY EVER SELECTED VERY HIGH FOR DRIVEWAYS. IT THEN REMEMBERS FOR THE NEXT VISIT.

9. What about the set and forget functions from the moment you get the car. Does everyone just set the wipers to auto rain detect and forget about it? Auto high-beam and forget about it? Auto passenger mirror tilt? Auto setting for boot?

AUTO WIPERS AND LIGHTS ON. WHAT'S AUTO FOR BOOT?

10. Has anyone else bought a screen protector? If you haven't would you consider it? I just didn't want everyone else mucking around (scratching) the monitor which is supposed to last the life of the car, so I bought one. Am I a nut?

SHOULDN'T NEED A PROTECTOR.

... Others to come...?? I bought "Owning Model S" but it is still in Florida somewhere...

Thanks in advance...
Ray

I downloaded the electronic version and still reading through the 200 pages ... happy with the purchase.

I was going to get the electronic version but I got put off because of the apparent password protections I thought I would have to go through on all my devices.

thanks, Timpoo... I am happy with my screen protector purchase. I bought the anti glare one...

1. Your boot opens automatically which causes no problems at home. But say you are now out shopping at a carpark with a low roof. How do you open and stop the boot? The open height is adjustable
2. I know the car has no spare tyre (unlike Dborn's signature). Does it come with a tyre repair kit or do you buy that separately? And since there is no spare tyre, wouldn't the next lot of tyres you put on the car have to be run-flats, especially if you want to take the car on long family holidays at times? A tire repair/electric pump is available for $50 US.

3. Any mistakes that you experienced guys made that us newbies should learn from? Any late-learned lessons? Any useful hints or suggestions that are not main stream? Not sure what rim size you have. But with the 21"s seriously consider rim protector bands available from 3rd parties. They have saved me on all 4 rims in 6 months.
4. Is the car a pain to reverse park? Is it too big? What about the view from the bonnet to any front obstacle eg, car, kerb, low fence. Are their warning sensors there? Do they work? Should be a bloody camera down there right? Back up sensors and camera are great. You are right, the car is wide, so need to consider the size and the rims. The auto tilt mirror for reverse is a must. It works great.

5. I take it the centre windscreen mirror does not change with profiles? Is it auto-dimming? If so, can that be switched off? Nope, just a simple mirror.
6. I understand the external passenger-side mirror can auto dip in reverse. But can that setting be programmed and does it lock in profiles? Yes, definitely add it into your reverse personal profile. If gives you a direct look at how close your rim is close to the curb. Major info you need when parallel parking.

7. How is the valet mode checking out for you guys? Do you use it every time you go to a car wash? Would you use it if the wife was borrowing the car to pick up her friends? Does it make any driving difference at all? Not really using it at all. I am not concerned about locking the glove compartment or Frunk. Those are the main advantages.

8. Auto air suspension. I get that you have it up high for your driveways right... but do you set it to high for that local street that has speed bumps in it? And why would you ever use the middle setting? In fact why is there even a low setting, doesn't it just go there automatically when you go fast? Absolutely used every day. Driveways on very high. Speed bumps on high. Low is set for 70 mph+. Bjorn Nyland found that it improves range 1 - 2%. So what the heck. I set low at 70mph. Also condor in any parking lot to clear curbs and wheel stops, you want it on high at least.

9. What about the set and forget functions from the moment you get the car. Does everyone just set the wipers to auto rain detect and forget about it? Auto high-beam and forget about it? Auto passenger mirror tilt? Auto setting for boot? Well all basic settings are in place for headlights, mirrors, etc. Set driver setting for drive position, driver exit and driver nap. You can have profiles for all these situations and more.

10. Has anyone else bought a screen protector? If you haven't would you consider it? I just didn't want everyone else mucking around (scratching) the monitor which is supposed to last the life of the car, so I bought one. Am I a nut? Personally I use a product available on Amazon, Pureti. It is a screen cleaner the uses sunlight to evaporate fingerprints. Makes screen cleaning not as often and much more effective.

6. I understand the external passenger-side mirror can auto dip in reverse. But can that setting be programmed and does it lock in profiles? Yes, definitely add it into your reverse personal profile. If gives you a direct look at how close your rim is close to the curb. Major info you need when parallel parking.

I read somewhere that both external mirrors are able to be tilted automatically. Is that correct?

@MDK yes both mirrors can be set to angles to see your rims when parking. I have to say that continues to be a huge aspect to prevent rim damage.

All, don't forget the rim guard protectors available. I got mine through Evannex. They have saved all 4 of my rims.

External and interior rearview mirrors are electrochromatic and darken in response to headlights at night to reduce glare rather than tipping to a different position as in the old days. I don't believe that there is any option to turn that function off, but not sure why you would choose to be blinded by cars following you?

The window sills are high. View out the rear window very limited. Be VERY aware of your rims to avoid damage. I still take extreme care when on exit ramps in shopping centre car parks and they have those awful high vertical concrete kerbs. If you see black tyre markings on them kerbs, many others have been there first and done their wheels. Be extra careful, even if you hold up the mob behind you. The turning circle is also not that great.
Parking is no issue, but in the beginning, beware. All the available sensors, mirrors etc can lead to information overload to the point you simply tune out something important like a reversing sensor desperately trying to tell you that you are about to hit a column or something.

@MDK yes both mirrors can be set to angles to see your rims when parking. I have to say that continues to be a huge aspect to prevent rim damage.

All, don't forget the rim guard protectors available. I got mine through Evannex. They have saved all 4 of my rims.

Hi Blu Zap - I also have bought wheelbands from Evannex. They have now arrived, just waiting for the car to put them on. But I would really love to see a photo of yours! Did you put them on yourself? Any hints or trouble? What colours did you choose and do they match the colour of your car? What size wheel?

Take your time to learn and set up the car. Set the mirrors to tilt down and in so that you can see the side of the car and your wheels when reversing - they will tilt back up when you change out of reverse.

Be careful of the width and wheelbase in car parks with high kerbs, the wheel base is longer than a similarly sized car.

Visibility from the front in the Tesla is quite good but the 3/4 view of the width isn't because of the ribs in the bonnet. The sensors are very over protective though, which is good and bad, since you may ignore them.

For me it's been easier to manuever than my old 928 which was smaller but harder to see out of and without electronic aids. Plus the wheels were very wide and about $3000ea so I didn't want to scratch them!

1. Your boot opens automatically which causes no problems at home. But say you are now out shopping at a carpark with a low roof. How do you open and stop the boot? The open height is adjustable
2. I know the car has no spare tyre (unlike Dborn's signature). Does it come with a tyre repair kit or do you buy that separately? And since there is no spare tyre, wouldn't the next lot of tyres you put on the car have to be run-flats, especially if you want to take the car on long family holidays at times? A tire repair/electric pump is
available for $50 US.

3. Any mistakes that you experienced guys made that us newbies should learn from? Any late-learned lessons? Any useful hints or suggestions that are not main stream? Not sure what rim size you have. But with the 21"s seriously consider rim protector bands available from 3rd parties. They have saved me on all 4 rims in 6 months.
4. Is the car a pain to reverse park? Is it too big? What about the view from the bonnet to any front obstacle eg, car, kerb, low fence. Are their warning sensors there? Do they work? Should be a bloody camera down there right? Back up sensors and camera are great. You are right, the car is wide, so need to consider the size and the rims. The auto tilt mirror for
reverse is a must. It works great.

5. I take it the centre windscreen mirror does not change with profiles? Is it auto-dimming? If so, can that be switched off? Nope, just a simple mirror.

7. How is the valet mode checking out for you guys? Do you use it every time you go to a car wash? Would you use it if the wife was borrowing the car to pick up her friends? Does it make any driving difference at all? Not
really using it at all. I am not concerned about locking the glove compartment or Frunk. Those are the main advantages.

8. Auto air suspension. I get that you have it up high for your driveways right... but do you set it to high for that local street that has speed bumps in it? And why would you ever use the middle setting? In fact why is there even a low setting, doesn't it just go there automatically when you go fast? Absolutely used every day. Driveways on very high. Speed bumps on high. Low is set for 70 mph+. Bjorn Nyland found that it improves range 1 - 2%. So what the heck. I set low at 70mph. Also condor in any parking lot to clear curbs and wheel stops, you want it on high at least.

9. What about the set and forget functions from the moment you get the car. Does everyone just set the wipers to auto rain detect and forget about it? Auto high-beam and forget about it? Auto passenger mirror tilt? Auto setting for boot? Well all basic settings are in place for headlights, mirrors, etc. Set driver setting for drive position, driver exit and driver nap. You can have profiles for all these situations and more.

10. Has anyone else bought a screen protector? If you haven't would you consider it? I just didn't want everyone else mucking around (scratching) the monitor which is supposed to last the life of the car, so I bought one. Am I a nut? Personally I use a product available on Amazon, Pureti. It is a screen cleaner the uses sunlight to evaporate fingerprints. Makes screen cleaning not as often and much more effective.
"6. I understand the external passenger-side mirror can auto dip in reverse. But can that setting be programmed and does it lock in profiles? Yes, definitely add it into your reverse personal profile. If gives you a direct look at how close your rim is close to the curb. Major info you need when parallel parking. "

Is there a way to tilt just one mirror on the passenger side ? I tried to do in but it always tilt both