Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer 250KW charger are actually just 120KWs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

manicdan

Dec 26, 2020
PA
There are few chargers that popped up in my area, Glen Mills PA and Claymont DE, both at 250KWs per the in-car nav system. But using them seems to cap at 120KWs, which is also what the Tezlab app shows them at. Theres a 150KW charger also at Claymont DE that I have used for the past year now and I see 140+KWs easily if I show up at a low SoC.

I dont know if its because of the battery pack, or just how the system is being set up. I noticed that the stations at Glen Mills are 1A-1D and 2A-2D, so 4 on each number, which makes me think they are 250KWs shared across 4 stalls.

Im no expert on superchargers and googling has been a nightmare trying to find out this kind of stuff so I was hoping someone could help explain. So are these new stalls really 250KWs and my LR S is not using it, or is there some sharing going on that limits the peak speeds?

Reactions: ahcpa
They are really “up to 250kw”.

There are many different reasons why you might not get 250kw during any one session, most commonly state of charge and battery temperature when you start.

To see anywhere near 250kw you need to be at a very low state of charge and have a very warm battery.

Reactions: Rocky_H
They are really 250 kWh chargers, but EV batteries can only take such a large current at certain parts of it's charging cycle. Usually charge the fastest at 10-20% Charge. As they fill, the charging slows down.

Charging from 90%-100% can take as long as charging from 20% - 80%.

I plugged into new charger today. I was down to 30 miles left. Guess what, it started at 33kw, stayed there for 2 hours. Just me no one else around. So much for new 250kw chargers. I charged last week in Brunswick, only got 110kw to start.
The 250kw only work with new 2020 cars. Not older cars, we r all throttled back. Oh, I have a new battery pack.

• Funny
I plugged into new charger today. I was down to 30 miles left. Guess what, it started at 33kw, stayed there for 2 hours. Just me no one else around. So much for new 250kw chargers. I charged last week in Brunswick, only got 110kw to start.
The 250kw only work with new 2020 cars. Not older cars, we r all throttled back. Oh, I have a new battery pack.
33kW is not a throttling issue. Something else is going on. Was your battery dead cold? Did you try to move to another stall?
Older cars like ours cannot take advantage of the V3 chargers as you stated. 110kW you got last week is good/normal. Yes, it quickly throttles down, but shows you that you’re capable of 110kW vs the 33kW with your most recent stop.

• Informative
I was watching an older video from Kyle at Out Of Spec motoring and one thing he said was that some SC stations have a mix of chargers. Just one or two V2 or V3 and the rest could be V1 or V2. 120kW seems to be v1 SC based on that video.

But yes, also - everything said above - there is a SC curve.
84243133-DD90-47B3-9D8D-7A6B0EDA71CA.jpeg

Not all cars can utilize V3 charger capability. This does mean the chargers are not capable of 250kw. The V3 pedestals do physically share cabinets at 4 per cabinet but do not share electrically. People posting charge rates without also posting what cars they have, state of charge and how long driving before arrival are meaningless numbers.