Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest roadster owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See other post. As you can upgrade on the latest one I ordered the Wifi version, you do NOT need the GPS antenna, something I found out after the event, and there is a cable for the roadster. If you have cell coverage then I would pay the extra but mine lives in 2 underground garages where theres no cell reception so I figured I would only use Wifi at best.
Defiantly get the latest version, its upgradeable.

Having a 3G version allows you to monitor your charging AWAY from home!
Very useful on roadtrip when your not sitting idle next to it while it's charging!!!
This little car only 'slow' charges so you can be doing lots of stuff away from it! :)
It comes with a cheap IOT sim card too.
Wouldn't have done Montreal-Boston without it!

Last edited:
does it take awhile for OVMS to arrive after ordering? I looked on the website. there appears to be a few choices. which one is the most current model...which one do you recommend?

When in stock, it gets to you rapidly but this is custom hardware with a small user base so they sometimes run out and there was also a prototyping period earlier when they were out of stock for a while.

In the US, you need this version:
$150.00 OVMS v3.1 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) - optional plug-in / 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem / GPS/GNSS / nano SIM slot at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

You would also need the antenna:
$3.15 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna - Official OVMS Parts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

<useless & wrong reference, see next post> :)
BUT I'm seeing the roadster cable being out of stock/discontinued...that makes the whole thing useless for our roadsters! Sorry!
$7.50 OVMS Data Cable for Tesla Roadster - Official OVMS Parts / Tesla Roadster v1.x/v2.x/v3.x compatible at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Paging @markwj ...Is this temporary?

</uselesss & wrong reference, see next post>

Last edited:
<useless & wrong reference, see next post> :)
BUT I'm seeing the roadster cable being out of stock/discontinued...that makes the whole thing useless for our roadsters! Sorry!
$7.50 OVMS Data Cable for Tesla Roadster - Official OVMS Parts / Tesla Roadster v1.x/v2.x/v3.x compatible at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Paging @markwj ...Is this temporary?

</uselesss & wrong reference, see next post>

The old Tesla Roadster specific cable (1x CAN bus connected) was obsoleted last year. We replaced it with a new version that supports all early Tesla cars (including early Model S), and breaks out 3x CAN buses, 1x K-line, plus the usual power.

$9.50 OVMS Data Cable for Early Teslas - official OVMS parts / Tesla Roadster v1.x/v2.x/v3.x & early Model S compatible at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Congratulations on your Roadster ! Forgot to mention earlier.
Mine is #1258. Similar production time twins . But yours has the carbon fibre covers inside..nice!
The original ppf... so sticky, the guys who did the Xpel did not expect it to be so hard to take off. Charged me another $200 for the extra time. And they told me it’s has to be hand cut, every piece. As there are no templates for Roadsters, not like S/X or 3, much easier to have machine precut the Xpel.
I had to leave the car with them for 2 weeks.
I seem to get that XPEL sets the gold standard but what about the 3M film?

I have Roadster 901 - Arctic White with a hardtop. It doesn't seem to matter how far out in the "North 40" I park my car, someone always seems to park right next to me, even if the entire parking lot is empty! I still don't understand this. I don't take Stela out if I am unsure about being able to park her in sparse parking. I have more paint damage from rocks flying up while driving. Guess I drive too fast!!

After having had #683 (Bubble Bee) stolen in Texas (in transit to Southern California from Florida) it took me awhile but I finally found another roadster...#1339–Orange Crush! If there are any roadster owners in So Cal that would like to get together please let me know!

View attachment 386869 View attachment 386870 View attachment 386871
Congratulations on your beautiful Roadster! Count #309 from Yorba Linda in for a So Cal Roadster meet-up.

Reactions: Bunnak
I would love to get together. Let's cruise down PCH. I live in Orange and own #91.
Count me in on that gathering, too. I'm in Laguna Beach. Let me know when and where!

Regarding parking and worrying about scratches, I park everywhere and just take chances because I want to drive daily and I don't want to stress. I think getting scratches in 48 hours of getting the car is just terrible luck. Film protection sounds like a good idea, though.

Reactions: Bunnak