TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

next-gen seats ergonomic issue

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by JAFO, Apr 20, 2017.

1. JAFO

JAFO Member

There's a thread somewhere here where I'm moaning about the Tesla seats, so I don't need to go into detail again.

TLDR - NG Seats gave me back pain. I'm broad shouldered just under 6ft, got a few extra pounds.

So I bought another car to see if the back pain was me or the Tesla seat. Three days after driving in the new car - no more back pain. For me I have isolated it down to the way the NG seats are shaped.

tesla-a.JPG tesla-b.JPG

The side bolstering (for my MS) makes the seat concave all the way up to the headrest, which lurches forward dramatically. This pinches my shoulders and pushes my neck forward. Those of you with narrower shoulders might never see this problem because the seat wraps around you.

Compare this to the seats in my BMW...

bmw650-a.JPG bmw650-b.JPG

The bolstering stops before my ribs end and my shoulders can stay flat against the seat.

You get the same good ergonomics in the Benz S550...

2014-mercedes-benz-s550-front-interior-seats.jpg

... the seat doesn't collapse under your upper back.

Is there any way to make the MS seats firmer, maybe less concave? Do the old seats do this? Can an upholsterer do anything?

Tesla have no idea and apparently no fix.

2. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Never had back pain in a car until my S with next-gen seats. I'm 5'8" 150 pounds so even for my smaller build, these seats are horrible. One thing that seemed to help a little for me was to make the seat back way more vertical than I'm used to. Almost seems like I'm leaning a little forward but it helps to fill the upper back void.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I had problems with the original seats, but the next gen work great for me. It seems Tesla seats are very binary, some people find them very comfortable while others are torture. With the original pattern seats the bolstering was more minimal, but the headrest leaned forward, that's what messed up my back and neck. The next gen seats have a straight headrest which works better for me.

I'm on the thin side and don't have super wide shoulders, so I rarely notice the bolsters.