Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw an article this morning in Teslarati about comments from Porche's VP of Product Line BEV. Of course they naturally are trying to minimize Tesla's performance and talk up their own future cars, but what the heck was the guy thinking when he said this?

“Porsche is unlikely to lower itself to gimmicks of this kind or use sound effects. Any sound the Mission E makes will work to enhance the emotional factor of the car, and incorporate a clear reference to the technology” What heck is that posturing and emotive phrasing suppose to mean really?

Is he clueless that any car sold in America is mandated to make some type of sound? Here's the article: Tesla's vehicle performance downplayed by Porsche Mission E exec

As for sound, I'm not a fan of this for many of the reasons mentioned above, but also just as a gut reaction. We've all seen or heard stories of people with their cellphone headphone/ear buds in their ears and looking down at their phones walking around totally oblivious to their surroundings and expecting everyone else to anticipate their moves. Pedestrians are just as responsible for their own safety as drivers are of how they handle their cars on the road.

Last edited:
Saw an article this morning in Teslarati about comments from Porche's VP of Product Line BEV. Of course they naturally are trying to minimize Tesla's performance and talk up their own future cars, but what the heck was the guy thinking when he said this?

“Porsche is unlikely to lower itself to gimmicks of this kind or use sound effects. Any sound the Mission E makes will work to enhance the emotional factor of the car, and incorporate a clear reference to the technology” What heck is that posturing and emotive phrasing suppose to mean really?

Is he clueless that any car sold in America is mandated to make some type of sound? Here's the article: Tesla's vehicle performance downplayed by Porsche Mission E exec
I think that part was more of a dig against BMW, where they pipe in some noise in the i8 to make the 3 cylinder engine sound more ... substantial.