Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NI Newbie with some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys & possibly gals (hard to tell sometimes).

I have been a long time lurker and recent joiner.

I have been reading threads non-stop now for months but sometimes the more you read the more confused you can get.

Could I ask the collective some questions that have been rattling around not completely answered please?

• Big big worry is the reports of the Auto-Pilot phantom braking, how prevalent is this and should it be a worry? I am not interested in FSD mode as it will not suit my intended use at present and I don't see this changing. Presumably I can just switch it off and leave it off?
  • My work commute is only 5 miles, how does this stack up with battery heating/conditioning, will the battery just be getting there by the time I am ready to switch off?
  • How much harder, and I accept this is extremely subjective, does the Performance suspension and 20" wheels make the ride?
  • Can you really only had wash the car or can it be snow-foamed with a pressure washer?
  • Does anyone have any information about when the Service Centre is planned for N. Ireland. would help with test driving a Performance model against a standard car to ascertain ride quality as above for sure! Might also help let me see what paint defects are like on their stock cars as well.
  • Is it possible to extend the warranty as an owner after the initial 4 years is up and if so what is the cost of this?
I see the Tesla site has 4 Inventory cars in the UK ATM if they were in NI that would be very tempting.

I have owned a couple of Nissan Leaf's so am not totally new to EV's BUT I think it is fair to say that Tesla are a different proposition.

TIA

Exy

Welcome to the forum Exy.

I can’t answer all your queries, but can help with most.

Don’t worry about the phantom braking. It is quite rare, and once you’ve experienced it a couple of times, it’s less of a shock. I’ve covered 9k miles, much of it on AP. You don’t have to use AP if you don’t want to.

With a five mile journey the battery won’t really get warm at all. Don’t worry about it.

I had a test drive in a Performance M3 with 20” wheels. The ride is harder, but not uncomfortably so. I’d be more worried about repeated kerbing of those big wheels with skinny tyres.

I’ve both hand washed and snow foamed using a pressure washer. No problem.

No idea on NI SC I’m afraid.

Tesla no longer offer extended warranties, so you’d be looking at a third-party offering.

People only go on about battery heating/conditioning because they are wanting/needing to maximise their range for longer journeys. If your journey is short it doesn't matter... you've owned Leafs so you already know the score.

The battery warranty is actually 8 years.

The ride in the performance is less firm than I expected, certainly not harsh or uncomfortable. You can come and have a drive of mine if you want to check it out but it has a nail in the tyre after some dumbass woodworking in the dark so it would have to be later in the week. PM me if you're interested.

Reactions: Roy W.
My work commute is only 5 miles, how does this stack up with battery heating/conditioning, will the battery just be getting there by the time I am ready to switch off?

Basically Yes. What does your ICE do? Still freezing cold when you arrive at work? Sod that !!

Leave at the same time each morning, Mon-Fri? Have a schedule to pre-heat the car for 15 minutes before you get in. Windscreen will be defrosted, and car toasty warm. When you are in a restaurant and the bill arrives then flip the APP on and press HEAT so tis ready for you.

Quite a lot of EV driving is a change form ICE, and Tesla Tech is yet-more-change. Up to you of course, but the New First World Problem Solution is to have the car be ready for you.

Bothered about that being expensive (compared to ICE it isn't ... but ...) or non-Eco? Just buy your juice from a sustainable source. Or fit some Batteries and Solar Panels (admittedly won't contribute much in Winter, but you can buy your Juice from North Sea Wind overnight when it is typically being curtailed)

Can you really only had wash the car or can it be snow-foamed with a pressure washer?

Or you can do it my way if you like? Never wash it ...

Is it possible to extend the warranty as an owner after the initial 4 years is up and if so what is the cost of this?

Yes, its basically [or "was"] just a 3rd party insurance thingie. When my previous car got to end of warranty (mileage came first, in my case) I looked at it and the requirement to have service interval as per manufacturer kicked it into touch for me. Since then Tesla has changed service interval from "same as ICE" to "Pretty much never".

Big big worry is the reports of the Auto-Pilot phantom braking, how prevalent is this and should it be a worry?

I wonder about that too. I've read plenty of posts here saying "I don't use AP because of phantom braking" and I scratch my head. I've done over 100K miles in Teslae, much of that back on AP1 although I don't find AP2 much different for things like Phantom Braking, its just differently-different. I do wonder if the people who say it troubles them significantly might need sensor calibration or somesuch. But it might also be down to the driver, and what they are comfortable with; my wife hates AP because of the "not in control" thing.

For me, like for @Roy W. too, its a minor issue. I'll try to put it into perspective, as I see it.

I pass a Juggernaut. Same as all the others I have passed in the last X-hundred miles. Plenty of gap, its not encroaching into my lane. Car brakes for some reason. I am not expecting it. But I am aware that the car sometimes does this, so my foot is over accelerator and I dab that and all is fine. The downside: I presume my brakelights flash and car behind me may be confused, or just assume I am a Twit. Passenger is confused too - its sudden [but not extreme] braking followed by my acceleration, so a "jerk". Can't remember my wife (as a passenger) remarking on it, so perhaps not even as much of a "jerk" as I imply.

If you took a 17 year out for their first ever drive you would be aware of absolutely 100% of the idiotic things they would do, and be prepared for them. But with AI you, as a human, have absolutely no means of anticipating what it might do, so to my mind that is where the problem is. I go under a bridge on my commute, Same bridge, same time of day, every day. Once in a blue moon AP's AI thinks it is a threat and it brakes. Sun is at a particular angle, cloud cover appropriate, recent software update that has tweaked the settings ... whatever ... car thought there was a risk.

It fired the "Imminent collision" warning [a shriek-alarm and plenty of red ink on dashboard display] last night when i had a car full of passengers. (Not on AP), Country road, oncoming car but plenty of room, no apparent obstacle ... passengers asked "What was all that about" so I explained, and I also explained "I'm very happy for the occasional false alarm because of what it is capable of in a real one"

On one occasion I joined dual carriageway, pulled out into outside lane, engaged AP, some traffic ahead but not significant, looked down to select music or somesuch and car braked. Not emergency-style, but enough to make me look up. Traffic had slowed ahead and was backing up ... no idea if I would have looked up in time and avoided incident on that occasion, I'd rate it as "probably", but that's exactly the sort of Catch that AP will do. Its looking under the car in front to see what the car in front of that is up to. On the other hand you are watching the brakelights of the car in front and relying on that - they might be broken. You might have nudged sideways to see the brakelights of the car in front of that, but you can't always do that. AP is watching around all the time. When incident happens it doesn't have to do the "Is there anything in the adjacent lane", it already knows 'cause its checking that umpteen times a second, so it just gets on with "avoiding"

My view is that I don't car whether the car, or me, spots the trouble, but for sure the two of us are better than me on my tod. I'm happy to put up with some false alarms once in a while (and, for me, phantom braking is only once in every several hundred miles)

One thing though: I think the biggest risk is complacency. Thousands of Miles and miles of faultless AP driving ... don't ever assume that it will always be like that. People have been killed, sadly, where it was clear from data that they had not been paying attention. I have a strict rule: hand on wheel, eyes on road, no exceptions.

Reactions: Boggle and Roy W.
I have a strict rule: hand on wheel, eyes on road, no exceptions.,
Doesn't quite gel with looked down to select music or somesuch and car braked.
:D:D

I've had one severe phantom braking as opposed to 'car slowed unexpectedly'. It was down to the skill of the guy behind that I didn't get rear-ended - scary.

As to the red screen alarm.. when that goes off all instinct is to look at the screen when one should be looking at the road ahead. But once its happened a couple of times ya stops being quite so rattled by it...

yeah, you are right about dichotomy, apologies for my poor prose :) i was meaning not to get lulled into "I'll just do a quick text" ... and then graduate to "Might as well climb into the back and have a a nap" :)

when that goes off all instinct is to look at the screen when one should be looking at the road ahead

Personally I've never had that instinct in Tesla, but I definitely did in VW. I think that was because it had the same Ding Dong for everything (or maybe whatever its Ding Dong was didn't trigger the right type of response in me).

The Tesla one always causes me to react (out the window, not down-at-screen), but in all the cases I can remember its been obvious or clearly a non-event - rapidly approaching the car in front fully intending to pull out to overtake, whereas Tesla thought the closing distance relative speeds was doomed!

I do wonder if there are Tesla accidents where driver wrongly overrode car's correct assessment on the basis of "Stupid thing, crying Wolf again"

I guess forums like this and we'ld have heard. So far all my 'red car ahead' alarms have been the guy in front turning left and would clear before i got there or coming up to a T-junction that flares to left/right turn lanes and there's someone angled to turn right and I'm going inside him to go left. The worrying one is the guy coming into the road from the left who has his car's nose over the white line so he can see round a hedge and Tesla assumes your lane is blocked and may slam brakes on.

People only go on about battery heating/conditioning because they are wanting/needing to maximise their range for longer journeys. If your journey is short it doesn't matter... you've owned Leafs so you already know the score.

The battery warranty is actually 8 years.

Yes but the Leaf didn't have any battery heating/cooling.

Isn't the Leaf battery warranty 8 years? and 5 years on the battery EV car parts?

I am not sure I want to own an EV out of warranty to be honest.

The ride in the performance is less firm than I expected, certainly not harsh or uncomfortable. You can come and have a drive of mine if you want to check it out but it has a nail in the tyre after some dumbass woodworking in the dark so it would have to be later in the week. PM me if you're interested.

That is a very generous offer thank you, will PM.

Basically Yes. What does your ICE do? Still freezing cold when you arrive at work? Sod that !!

Leave at the same time each morning, Mon-Fri? Have a schedule to pre-heat the car for 15 minutes before you get in. Windscreen will be defrosted, and car toasty warm. When you are in a restaurant and the bill arrives then flip the APP on and press HEAT so tis ready for you.

Or you can do it my way if you like? Never wash it ...

Ohhh not sure 'not washing' it will ever be an option LOL

The Leaf could be pre-heated and I did use that option quite often (when it worked!)

Of course the other option would be just to start the ICE and leave it running in the drive with a steering lock on to pre-heat it, I can buy an awful lot of petrol for £50k.