Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Nice Guys" movie - can you spot the plenty nods at EVs and Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched last night "Nice Guys" - a very funny detective movie set in the 70s (think Lethal Weapon). I think it actually opens today.

Very entertaining movie!
However, if you can see beyond the jokes, silly shooting scenes, and the copious amount of mild nudity, there is an underlying clear message against the oil/car industry, and plenty of nods at alternative fuels, EVs and yes... Tesla's autopilot!

Has anybody seen the movie? Did you spot the EV "subliminal" messages? Well... If not, I hope you got a laugh. I really enjoyed the movie.

Trailer:

Disclaimer: I wish I was in the movie business, but I'm not. I'm not remotely related to the production of the movie, and I will not benefit if you see it or not. I just liked it, and picked up on interesting cues about EVs, and thought I'd share my view.

Reactions: benjiejr
You think Lethal Weapon was set in the 70s?? How young are you?

Or... how old am I ? :(

Yeah... I should've put a comma somewhere.
The similarity to Lethal Weapon is the "funny, buddy detective" movie format, not the fact that one was set in the 70s :)
And, I found out that the director of "Nice Guys" was the actual writer of the first "Lethal Weapon" - that explains a lot.

I saw it and, yes, there was autopilot and a number of other Tesla features. The movie itself was not that great. It would be okay at 02:00 on TV though.

Cool! I'm not imagining things then!
- There is the (unnecessary) talk about alternative fuels in the standup comedy bar where Crowe's character lived
- EV concept car at the auto show
- Autopilot reference when they crash, and several quotes about "cars driving themselves in the future".
- Final quote about: "Everyone driving EVs from Japan in 5 years anyways" (yeah... they said Japan :( )
- And the background plot is about Detroit buying/manipulating government at the cost of everyone else

There might be more I don't remember now.

However, I think it's a bit better than 2am on TV :) They were a selected movie on Cannes 2016, and 90% on rottentomatoes - but that was not why I posted. It posted because the subtle EV references, and I'm glad you saw them too.