Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Ariya

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reluctantly went to LA Tuesday night with a half-hearted interest in attending Nissan's Ariya EVent at some energy efficient house in the Hollywood Hills to which I had been invited. I was a bit curious to see if Nissan had changed and really had something to offer. I fought my way through the horrible LA traffic.
A couple of days before, Nissan had sent me an email that they wanted me to install some sort of APP on my phone that would supposedly "serve as your guide for the experience". Ya right, I'm certainly not installing any advertising spyware app on my phone from Nissan. When I had a Leaf, I had their app on my phone -- it barely worked about half the time. When it did work, it didn't do much (couldn't lock/unlock doors, set timers, tell where the car was, etc). It didn't work at all the rest of the time. They put absolutely zero dollars into fixing that app that 'came' with the car I had bought from them, clearly, if they developed an app just for this EVent, little good could come from it either. I skipped on installing it.
I did drive to the EVent that was on a very congested street in the Hollywood Hills. Someone with a flashlight was talking into the right side of a police car keeping me from being able to actually turn off of Hollywood Blvd. When the police car pulled away it seemed like the person talking was probably a valet. She told me to continue up the hill where others would waive me to where to go. I drove by one guy who was standing there looking stupid with a lighted wand at his side (no waiving). Another guy with a wand motionless in his hand was talking in the right door of a Bolt that was also blocking the road. I waited behind the Bolt for a while without any acknowledgement by the guy. Unsure and since nothing was happening, I went past the Bolt and continued up the hill looking for someone waiving me -- all the way to the address of the EVent. At the house with the EVent, some guy with a "SECURITY" jacket said there was no parking there; that I should go back and valet park and take a shuttle back up (there were some golf carts at the curb).
Maybe I missed something that the app would have told me? Maybe if I had waited a lot longer someone would have waived me somewhere? Too bad.
I drove back down the hill and kept driving. .
I don't need to waste any time with another Nissan Half-fast lame, poorly run EV activity. I suffered with a Leaf for 9 years and its pathetic range, fast decaying batteries, "you may not make it to your destination" on my 36 mile commute home, etc.
bye Nissan. Call me again when you have something to offer and I may or may not bother to swing by again.
Go Tesla!

Sorry to hear about that. Long ago, before gen 2 Leaf went on sale, they did have a nice EVent (I think w/decent dinner) at their Sunnyvale, CA research office. Some folks from So Cal even came up. Was weird to be waiting in line outside their building to get in next to Baidu's offices w/a bunch of self-driving test vehicles going by.

Also before it launched, they had an EVent w/a celebrity chef (or something). Food was quite good and it was a nice EVent in SF. At both EVents, they had brought a gen 2 Leaf for to us see, get in and poke around.

Autoblog really likes the interior:

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
View attachment 567541

LEAF is 30mm taller because it lifted 30mm to help provide clearance for battery
Length difference is cosmetic, plastic bumper etc
Track front is identical
track rear is 5 mm difference, presumably just a smidgen for brake options
wheelbase is identical
width is 10mm difference (mirrors)

in photo they may look difference, but in person they were very very similar, C12 never went to USA, but they did get the sedan version called the Sentra
You are somewhat correct regarding the Leaf (and a special mention to the Bolt, for its Spark chassis with a hole in it is bemusing to see during a tear down).

But the Maxima is built on Nissans ‘D’ platform; the Ariya is built on the CMF-EV set, which is loosely based on the Sentra.

Not sold one yet already in production trouble ..
The article I linked to says:
"Deliveries of the base Ariya model began in Japan in May, after initially being scheduled to start in March. In its latest earnings announcement, Nissan said it had received 6,800 preorders in Japan, where it has already delivered 1,500 vehicles."
They cant be making that many leafs even right now , they have what 2 plants? IT took them 10 years to sell half a million
From when I was semi in the market for a Leaf in Jan 2022, inventory was pretty scarce in Califorina. In some parts of the US, it's better. IIRC, there are 3 plants producing Leafs but they also produce other vehicles: Oppama, Japan; Sunderland, UK; Smyrna, TN in the US.

For the US market, only '11 and '12 Leafs came from Japan. From model year '13+ for the US, they've come from TN.

Nissan has many other plants and from Global Sales Results | Investors | Nissan Motor Corporation Global Website, in the last full year, they sold about 3.8 million vehicles.
It’s only going to get worse as Tesla sucks up all the battery cells. Only EVs sold in volume will be Tesla and Chinese manufacturers.
Nissan's batteries came from AESC that was JV between Nissan and NEC. Eventually, Nissan bought out NEC shares and sold most of it: Nissan Confirms Sale Of Battery Business To Envision Group. That's now Envision AESC.

Last edited:
Public test drives are happening across the country but mainly for reservation holders (duh.. of course I have a reservation.. which EV don't I have one to!!!)

Will be interested in experiencing ProPilot 2.0 first hand.
I only learned of it yesterday but I just tried registering for San Mateo, CA and it seems to require a registration code. It won't let me submit w/o it.

I just checked some cities where the EVent is over or coming sooner and there's no * and thus probably no requirement for the code. I wonder if they'll remove the requirement for San Mateo as the EVent gets closer.

Reactions: voxel
After my two test drives today, the Nissan Ariya makes the ID.4 look like cheapo budget SUV (which it is). Even the lower Ariya trims were nice than the top ID.4 trims.

The upper Ariya trims are loaded with features (360 camera, hands-free driving, auto-parking, digital rear view mirror) and the suspension is closer to ID.4 than Model Y / Mach-E (too firm or too bouncy).

Heck, the Solterra and bz4x are even worse price-wise. The Ariya smokes those two at the same price points.

After my two test drives today, the Nissan Ariya makes the ID.4 look like cheapo budget SUV (which it is). Even the lower Ariya trims were nice than the top ID.4 trims.

The upper Ariya trims are loaded with features (360 camera, hands-free driving, auto-parking, digital rear view mirror) and the suspension is closer to ID.4 than Model Y / Mach-E (too firm or too bouncy).

Heck, the Solterra and bz4x are even worse price-wise. The Ariya smokes those two at the same price points.
Good to hear. I cancelled my ID.4 reservation this week and at least they were quick to refund my $500. I was never impressed with the ID.4 to begin with but now it just seems totally irrelevant with a Model X in our garage.

I'm in no hurry to get anything else right now but we'll see when the Japanese manufacturers actually get anything significant done as respects BEVs.

And oh yeah I traded in my Nissan Leaf for the Model X. Of course, that's not exactly a straight-up trade hehe.

I still have my Ariya reservation and I jumped it up to the evolve plus a while ago. I have had the reservation since January of this year.

"Nissan designed a system that would allow it to produce cars with different powertrains - batteries, hybrids and internal combustion engines - on the same line."

Regarding the above, Leaf has been built on the same line as ICEVs since day 1, likely sometime before in or right before Dec 2010.