Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comparing Rav4EV pack vs Leaf pack...

Yeah - similar capacity, but I would say (very roughly):
Rav4 pack: ~3x as heavy (roughly 1200lbs vs 400lbs.)
Rav4 pack: ~3x as expensive (roughly $27K vs $9K.)
Rav4 pack: ~3x calendar life (roughly 15 years vs 5 years.)
...Ballpark estimates...

The old Rav4EV batteries are getting impossible to find.
When they finally wear out it would be a candidate for a Li-Ion retrofit.

Actually by "size" I meant to say volume. I'm pretty sure the physical size of the Leaf pack is significantly smaller than the RAV4 pack.

Yeah, I figured as much - but wasn't as sure about that.
Oh what the heck : Rav4EV Pack probably about 3x bigger too!

The two packs probably have roughly the same kWh capacity, & typical power output capability.

In other words, the Leaf pack is mostly better - smaller, lighter, cheaper... But it may not last quite as long...

Will the Nissan Leaf Battery Deliver All It Promises? | Inhabitat
...the pack has a 70 to 80 percent capacity after 10 years...

Perhaps long enough though that many owners will be done with the car before the pack ever wears out. Good enough, perhaps.

Nissan LEAF FAQ | Facebook
Q: How many charging cycles can the energy storage device survive?
A: The battery will have a lifespan of 5 -10 years under normal use.
We are still working to define all variables which will impact battery performance. Check back or sign up to get future updates.
Q: Can you charge the battery even if it is not empty?
A: We are still working to define all variables which will impact battery performance. Check back or sign up to get future updates.
Q: Will it damage the battery if I "top it off" every night?
A: We are still working to define all variables which will impact battery performance. Check back or sign up to get future updates.
Q: How long will the battery last? Can it be recycled?
A: For general automotive purposes, Nissan anticipates a battery life of 5 to 10 years. The battery can be used afterward for storage applications and can be recycled.
Q: What kind of battery will be in the LEAF?
A: LEAF uses a unique laminated Lithium-Ion battery with a capacity of 24kWh.

Last edited:
Leaf bashing. Electric Cars Not For 20-Somethings? - AOL Autos - Translogic

The ignorance and hostility in the comment section is unreal. I'm always stunned by how stupid so many of us are. I tried to interject some sanity but couldn't keep pace.

Sometimes some sites just have really bad commentators. I saw another EV article on AOL before and the comments weren't really that much better, so I decided to ignore it. Some sites are just hopeless and a waste to time to comment on.

If these same views were influential at the beginning of the 20th century we would all be riding horses and buggies.
Actually I think there was a large objection to autos in the beginning with people suggesting they could never replace horses. Luckily, (or not, depending), the reality of the benefits of autos won out. The same should hold true for modern EV's.

One thing we will find uniformly in all car related sites is that the people posting there are self selected gas addicts. A lot of them are single, with one car - wrong demo for an EV.

I was talking about Leaf to a colleague. He has 3 cars, including a sports model. In 3 minutes flat he went from what is the point of buying an EV - to thinking whether to lease or buy Leaf.

For anyone in multi-car households replacing one ICE car with an EV is a no-brainer.

Many RAV4 owners are ready to bail as well. Many are in the 100K plus miles, and Toyota is no longer supporting them so sell for 20K while you can. The prices on these will drop like a rock.

Toyota : RAV4 : eBay Motors (item 330419116693 end time Apr-06-10 15:30:00 PDT)

Time left: 1 day 3 hours (Apr 06, 201015:30:00 PDT) Bid history: 41 bids Current bid: US $19,654.00 and a lo 14,265 miles

Winning bid:US $32,300.00

I guess the 'bottom' hasn't dropped out completely just yet.

I wouldn't be too sure. The RAV4EV might end up being a classic collector, very low production numbers and one of the only surviving "early" EV's that worked well. I think prices will stay around this range for clean low mileage versions.

I wouldn't be too sure. The RAV4EV might end up being a classic collector, very low production numbers and one of the only surviving "early" EV's that worked well. I think prices will stay around this range for clean low mileage versions.

Yes. a collector car. There are short of 2,000 of them now. Prices will drop to sub 20K then they will get stored away or just trashed. When there is only a hundred or so left in museums and huge collections then the price may go back up to the 40K mark.

Problem is, even as a collector, it takes a lot more work to maintain it than and ICE car regiment. There are collector Baker Electric and others out there that must be kept at charge and the battery fluids maintained but the cells in the RAV4EV are not so simple.
It's only the super love and super leisure rich that will want to put up with that for a car that is;

Not the seminal EV1
Already has an ICE version
Has no large unique styling cues (an EV sticker)
Is rather boring

2009-10-30-nissanleafrdrivetraintokyomotorshow.jpg

Steve Parker: Nissan Leaf EV - Be first to see it in person!