Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any model S reservation holders thinking of withdrawing their 5k and buying a Leaf?
No, but I'm thinking about getting on the Leaf wait list as well. It might make sense to buy a leaf and hold onto it for a couple years while waiting for the Model S. It's just a $100 refundable deposit for the Leaf and I'm more and more skeptical about seeing a Model S in my driveway before 2013. I'd like to be driving any EV for 2 years, but then if the Prius is still doing well it makes little sense to take the depreciation hit on a new car and then replace it in a couple years.

Any model S reservation holders thinking of withdrawing their 5k and buying a Leaf?

No, but considering getting both. The lease on my Acura RL is up in December...I've been hoping that would be my last ICE car but the timing isn't working out (I cannot afford a Roadster). If the Leaf is available in April in Boston as Nissan has stated, I could extend the RL lease month to month until then.

When the Model S shows up, I can hand the Leaf over to my (now 13 year old) son, who will just be starting driving by then. It's possible his will be the first generation--in modern times--to learn to drive on BEVs only.

Ask for Nissan sales, and Curtis will be happy to put you on their waiting list so they can call you when the first Leaf rolls in to their lot.

I don't understand what it might mean to book the car with a dealer instead of Nissan website after april 20th. It is not like Nissan will let dealers sell to people not on their list. Also, can dealers over charge (esp if leasing) ?

I thought the same, but I recall Tesla had aspirations to be more mainstream, more big... The "GM" (well at least the old giant GM of yesterday) of the car business not a "boutique" manufacturer.

Tesla Motors - Press Releases

They did, but logically that doesn't make nearly as much sense now as it did then. They still have a shot at being a big luxury brand. Maybe 10 years or so down the road they can start another brand for econo-models

I don't understand what it might mean to book the car with a dealer instead of Nissan website after april 20th. It is not like Nissan will let dealers sell to people not on their list. Also, can dealers over charge (esp if leasing) ?
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was, yes you would first sign up on Nissan's website, then on April 20 you would put down a deposit and join the waiting list - but the individual dealers also have waiting lists. Once you reserve a Leaf you'll have to go pick it up at a local dealer. Remember when the Prius first came out and quantities were limited, there were dealer waiting lists in that case too. So getting on the dealer's waiting list as well, would be beneficial. I think this would also help the dealer gauge interest levels and procure sufficient quantity of vehicles.

Did you notice I changed my avatar? I initially put down my deposit for the Tesla as a promise to myself that I would buy the first practical EV that becomes available. I knew I could come up with the money for the model S but I'm not made of money so it would be quite a struggle to balance my finances to make it possible. However at the time the model S appeared likely to be the first practical EV on the market and I was committed to buying one if nothing more affordable comes up with reasonable specs before then. Now that Nissan announced the Leaf and it will be available for sale this December, the price is great, the quality will have to meet Nissan's standards so I know it will be well made - so yes, I will probably withdraw my model S reservation and buy a Leaf instead - but I will wait until April 20 to do so.

Last edited:

This article was before the rules were published.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/regulations/ldv-ghg-final-rule.pdf

As you can see GM Volt & Nissan Leaf are in a good postion.

Upon considering the public comments on this issue, EPA is finalizing an advanced technology vehicle incentive program that includes a zero gram/mile emissions compliance value for EVs and FCVs, and the electric portion of PHEVs, for up to the first 200,000 EV/PHEV/FCV vehicles produced by a given manufacturer during MY2012-2016 (for a manufacturer that produces less than 25,000 EVs, PHEVs, and FCVs in MY2012), or for up to the first 300,000 EV/PHEV/FCV vehicles produced during MY2012-2016 (for a manufacturer that produces 25,000 or more EVs, PHEVs, and FCVs in MY2012). For any production greater than this amount, the compliance value for the vehicle will be greater than zero gram/mile, set at a level that reflects the vehicle’s net increase in upstream GHG emissions in comparison to the gasoline vehicle it replaces. In addition, EPA is not finalizing a multiplier.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was, yes you would first sign up on Nissan's website, then on April 20 you would put down a deposit and join the waiting list - but the individual dealers also have waiting lists. Once you reserve a Leaf you'll have to go pick it up at a local dealer. Remember when the Prius first came out and quantities were limited, there were dealer waiting lists in that case too. So getting on the dealer's waiting list as well, would be beneficial. I think this would also help the dealer gauge interest levels and procure sufficient quantity of vehicles.

I've never bought a car after signing up for a waiting list. I'll check with my Nissan dealer if they have a waiting list.

But the way it should work is - when my leaf is shipped to the dealer, Nissan should send me a mail and I'd pick it up once the dealer receives it. Again hoping the dealers won't demand extra money for absolute zero work they would have put in for this sale.

Plug-in vehicle industry responds to Nissan Leaf's low price — Autoblog Green

nyas-2010-nissan-leaf-06.jpg

plug-in-vehicle-industry-responds-to-nissan-leafs-low-price

^^^^ Does anyone know if it can be plugged into any typical "NEMA" outlets at all or is it only the propitiatory one(s) Can I visit grandma's house? :smile:

They'd have to offer something equivalent to Tesla's mobile connector but with the J1772 instead of the Tesla connector. If Nissan doesn't offer it, the aftermarket will since it should work on many of the EVs coming out.