Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... the Leaf's electric motor and power controls are packaged and dressed up to look a lot like a typical transverse-mounted four-banger. There's even a 12-volt battery (for accessories).
!
leafengine%20(2)-thumb-425x283.jpg

So that is the inverter (PEM) in under the valve cover.

Last edited:
I wonder why the large 12V battery? Cheaper than using a higher power DC/DC converter?
You know that's a good question. Perhaps it acts as a higher current buffer. Al&Eds had to add a lead acid battery to Dr. T's 2008 Roadster in order to support the sound system they added. Bob Sexton had told me that the peek current draw was going to be more than the Roadster's accessory system was rated.

Perhaps it's just easier/cheaper in some way. The Rav4 and Ford Ranger EVs (I think) also had a lead acid under the hood (EV1 too?). That optional solar rear spoiler offered on the Leaf probably just charges that 12V battery.

At least maybe Leaf drivers can offer a jump start to their ICE neighbors. I accidentally left my lights on one rainy day and was trying to figure out how to safely get a jump start from my friend's Prius. After spending some time with the manual, I figured it was easier to just push start my car.

Last edited:
Re the Tesla battery... according to Dustin (Tesla tech) who is visiting today, there's an motorcycle battery under the right headlamp, which is used as a backup for the 12V auxiliary power system. The backup is there in case you lose 12V power, in which case your headlights would go out!

Re the Tesla battery... according to Dustin (Tesla tech) who is visiting today, there's an motorcycle battery under the right headlamp, which is used as a backup for the 12V auxiliary power system. The backup is there in case you lose 12V power, in which case your headlights would go out!

Yes the I believe 2008's had a lot of battery balance issues with the 12v because it was only off some of the sheets. When owners would run just 12V accessories like car-off radio-on it would create an imbalance (I think). Installing the little motorcycle battery gave the sheets a rest.

As for jumping a Prius, the battery is located (buried) in the back but there is a way to do it from the front as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That video is very impressive.

It gives me a new perspective on what Tesla needs to do to compete with the big automakers. Developing the expertise required to build that sort of automation must take years, if not decades. Maybe they don't need to be that advanced to make Model S, but they will for Blue Star.

I wonder how the Nissan production process compares to GM's production of the Volt. I'm guessing Nissan's is more advance as they are targeting 200,000 worldwide by 2012 and GM is only talking about 10,000 to 30,000 per year through 2012, perhaps even lower than Model S production.

116 miles is very nice, easily managing my routine needs and then some. It tempts me to make the Leaf a placeholder until the Model S arrives. I will have to remain strong with my plan to walk my commute until that time.

It seems to me that the Volt and Leaf are going to be the principal actors in the next round.

Not having researched the Volt and Leaf as much as most of you, I'd summarize my thoughts as this: I prefer the exterior appearance of the Volt, but I prefer everything else about the Leaf. Having driven an electric car, I wouldn't be happy with an ICE being under the hood, even if it were "off" some or most of the time.

I very much look forward to seeing these on the road!

It seems to me that the Volt and Leaf are going to be the principal actors in the next round.

I'd summarize my thoughts as this: I prefer the exterior appearance of the Volt, but I prefer everything else about the Leaf. Having driven an electric car, I wouldn't be happy with an ICE being under the hood, even if it were "off" some or most of the time.

I very much look forward to seeing these on the road!

I agree with all of that...

Wow, that Leaf is one ugly car.
Funny how some people just hate it, I don't mind it at all.
I hope it does well only so that it serves to legitimize the EV market. I have no doubt if this thing can have success then the Model S will completely sell out the first 20k in no time.
Completely different market segment. There are a lot more people who can shell out $25K or less for a Leaf than whatever Tesla will be selling the S for.