Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a production Leaf at a dealership yesterday.
Among other things, they replaced the prototype's LED backup lights with traditional incandescent bulbs. Also the rear turn signals are bulbs now too.

The audio / nav system seems to have both SD card and USB ports for input.
Charge locations for the bay area only showed Steven's Creek and Vacaville so far.

It's disappointing to hear that they've gone with incandescents in lieu of LEDs for some of the lighting. I understand they are cheaper, but disregarding the safety arguments, it's also just tacky for such a high-tech vehicle to have such low-tech lighting. It's always bothered me that the MINI E I drive uses plain bulbs, too, especially when my previous car, an Infiniti with a traditional old-school engine, used LEDs.

I very much hope that all of the intricate LED piping and other lighting effects seen on the Model S prototype doesn't vanish.

I've noticed that BMW reintroduced incandescant with recent model redesigns. Whether planned or not, this allowed them to put LEDs (back) in when that design was due for a mid-cycle refresh. Maybe Nissan will do the same.

Here is a video of the production unit making the rounds between Northern California dealers:

The brake lights and part of the headlights are still LED.
In a way having the turn signals be bulbs give a more customary / pleasant fade-in, fade-out effect during blinking.
I am actually pleased that they went with yellow bulbs instead of blinking the red brake LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
LAnce's
x2_2da1559

The Stig likes the Leaf...

Nissan Leaf is like driving an Ipod

Who'd've thought...the Stig is onboard and the masses are showing signs of being won over too.

I even think this is a little dig at you know who:

Electric-powered vehicles were pioneered more than 100 years ago, so it's remarkable that the powers shaping human history have managed to conceal their advantages for so long.

Maybe that drive in the Tesla did do some good afterall.

Felt like a real car. The Volt is more massive and stronger off the line and the Think is downright anemic by comparison. I thought the acceleration was about 2/3rds of the pickup feel of a Roadster in Range mode but with a different longer curve added to it. If they applied Tesla's ramp up to speed it would be a hoot to drive. I think they went to conservative though. Overall though thumbs up and big kudos to Nissan for making this happen!

Good article until this point:
He did mention that one unanticipated problem had arisen. My ears perked up. Many wealthy Tesla Roadster owners in Los Altos Hills were impressing so many girlfriends with rides that they were requiring multiple daytime recharges, even though they promised to recharge only at night. Not only did this send their electricity bills through the roof, it was causing problems with the grid as well. I guess its all part of the teething process, a cost of making the great leap forward to the next generation. Who knew that Match.com would be involved?
This joke will possibly be picked up by detractors to show the grid is already inadequate. We don't need any more FUD.