Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This bug is super aggravating. For me, like @TEG it always happens when the screen doesn't respond immediately after getting into the car and does a full boot.

Someone else mentioned that driving off with the screen still booting seemed to trigger the no-audio portion of the bug more often, but I couldn't say for sure, will pay more attention.

What's aggravating is that it doesn't seem to affect all cars - why?

Power off while parked for 5 seconds always fixes the issue for me. It is strange that it seems to occur in waves, it'll happen a lot over a couple days, or it might not happen at all for a while.

What firmware version are you on? I had the exact same issue and it happened daily for about a week. But one day I got a firmware update and the issue fully resolved. Now the only issue I have is that the touchscreen is unresponsive when I first enter the car but I think that is normal.

Reactions: MMBTUS
I've had this happen a dozen or so times since i took delivery of my car in December. I've got about 2,500 miles. I started experimenting with this to see if i could pinpoint when / why it happens.

It seems to happen most when i am in a hurry. i get in the car, immediately hit my foot on the brake and shift into drive. At first i wondered if it was an issue with my phone dropping my home wifi and syncing with the car at the same time. I shut my wifi off completely on my phone yet it still happens.

I then continued to experiment. Doing different starting rhythms. Using the app to warm the car prior to leaving. leaving it plugged in, "starting" the car, then unplugging the charger.

Nothing seems to matter, it appears, at least in my case, to be completely random.

Every time i can remedy the situation by simply putting the car in park, getting out, walking a few feet away so my phone disconnects and the car locks. Then i walk back, open the door, viola all sound working again.

I just keep hoping one of these updates fixes it :)

Reactions: mswlogo
I've had this happen a dozen or so times since i took delivery of my car in December. I've got about 2,500 miles. I started experimenting with this to see if i could pinpoint when / why it happens.

It seems to happen most when i am in a hurry. i get in the car, immediately hit my foot on the brake and shift into drive. At first i wondered if it was an issue with my phone dropping my home wifi and syncing with the car at the same time. I shut my wifi off completely on my phone yet it still happens.

I then continued to experiment. Doing different starting rhythms. Using the app to warm the car prior to leaving. leaving it plugged in, "starting" the car, then unplugging the charger.

Nothing seems to matter, it appears, at least in my case, to be completely random.

Every time i can remedy the situation by simply putting the car in park, getting out, walking a few feet away so my phone disconnects and the car locks. Then i walk back, open the door, viola all sound working again.

I just keep hoping one of these updates fixes it :)

Try the Power Off in the menus. Even though it seems like it doesn’t actually power off the car, it does work to reset the audio for me. Would be quicker than walking away and coming back. I can do the power off, then almost immediately restart it and it fixes it.

Try the Power Off in the menus. Even though it seems like it doesn’t actually power off the car, it does work to reset the audio for me. Would be quicker than walking away and coming back. I can do the power off, then almost immediately restart it and it fixes it.
I have only had the issue twice in the more than 17,000 miles, but both times the power off from the menu worked.

Wow, only twice? I have it happen every other day on my 2017 with 21k miles. It will be interesting once they do solve it if it turns out to have a hardware component.

Luckily It’s never happened to me, 4500 miles since September delivery.

Some of these various issues, like the lost bass or no audio must be “race” conditions on startup. With so many components one component starts up or sends a message to another at exactly the wrong time and some recipient doesn’t handle it. Timing won’t be exactly the same car to car or each startup.

Oh, I’m busy and can’t unmute the amps right this second because I’m busy still initializing the camera, which took 1ms longer on this boot.

Even temperature can affect the speed of things.

What firmware version are you on?
Currently on 2018.50.6, but it's been doing it since last summer at least.

Some of these various issues, like the lost bass or no audio must be “race” conditions on startup.
I agree. My best guess is that something like this happens:
1. Something locks up and hangs/crashes while car is locked and idle.
2. Unlock and get in car, press brake. Car realizes things are stuck and reboots the screen and who knows what other computers.
3. Race condition during startup causes no-audio bug

but both times the power off from the menu worked.

Power off is always effective.

The absolute quickest way to fix this is to get out of the car and close the door, wait just a second or two and then open the door again. Works every single time for me. Doing a power off from the menus or closing the door and walking away and waiting for the car to lock or disconnect from your phone are not necessary.

I just had it happen to me again on 2018.50.6. It's annoying because it's not just radio but no turn signal noise or autopilot cues either. Can't submit a bug report during the issue because mic doesn't seem to work and voice control instantly says try again.

Called Tesla Service number and after about 15 minutes, the lady on the phone asked me to do the shutdown from the display as the two button reset from the steering wheel didn't work. The display shutdown method resolved my immediate issue, but I was hoping for her to suggest a long term fix. I immediately submitted a bug report after getting off the phone.

I just had it happen to me again on 2018.50.6. It's annoying because it's not just radio but no turn signal noise or autopilot cues either. Can't submit a bug report during the issue because mic doesn't seem to work and voice control instantly says try again.

Called Tesla Service number and after about 15 minutes, the lady on the phone asked me to do the shutdown from the display as the two button reset from the steering wheel didn't work. The display shutdown method resolved my immediate issue, but I was hoping for her to suggest a long term fix. I immediately submitted a bug report after getting off the phone.

There is no permanent workaround fix unfortunately. We just have to wait until they fix this bug in some future update. This is definitely a bug that was introduced about 2-3 months ago. As far as I'm aware there were no reports of this bug, and I never experienced this bug myself, until sometime in November.

There is no permanent workaround fix unfortunately. We just have to wait until they fix this bug in some future update. This is definitely a bug that was introduced about 2-3 months ago. As far as I'm aware there were no reports of this bug, and I never experienced this bug myself, until sometime in November.

Since Version 9?

The long startup portion of the bug has existed since early 2018 on my car. The no audio part is new, I agree. Tesla has been telling me it would be fixed in “the next update” since summer. All they have done so far is make it worse as now it is more frequent with the added fun of the no audio thing.

Update: After providing the local mobile service coordinator guy with a few specific times/days when this had happened in my car so that they could analyze the vehicle logs, he then talked with a Tesla engineer about the issue who said that it was a known issue and would be addressed with an upcoming software fix. So encouraging news.

Hopefully this fix rolls out soon, as it's been happening to me with daily frequency lately.

A few days after I posted this last month, a mobile service tech came out to work on an unrelated issue and said he'd push a software update to my car that should fix this issue. I got the update later that day and installed it. It didn't fix the issue.

It's still happening to me maybe 3-4 times a week. I'm so f'ing sick of this issue and Tesla's inability to fix it. :mad:

Last edited:
A few days after I posted this last month, I got a call and I was told they were pushing a software update to my car that would fix the issue. I got the update later that day. It didn't fix the issue.

It's still happening to me maybe 3-4 times a week. I'm so f'ing sick of this issue and Tesla's inability to fix it. :mad:

Which version are you running?

The absolute quickest way to fix this is to get out of the car and close the door, wait just a second or two and then open the door again. Works every single time for me. Doing a power off from the menus or closing the door and walking away and waiting for the car to lock or disconnect from your phone are not necessary.

100% correct. It has happened to me a few times over the past couple weeks. Each time I have been able to get the audio back doing just what you said.

The resetting the menu inside the vehicle has not worked at all to reset the audio. It resets the touch screen each time, but I still do not get audio until I do what PoiNarf said to do.

Reactions: PoitNarf