Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No autopilot convenience features 2015 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently became a proud owner of 2015 90D. The car comes with autopilot hardware, radar, autopilot tab on the main screen. But for some reason, when I turn on autopilot, the car only goes on cruise control and I don’t see the blue lines that would indicate auto steering. Is it possible that my car does not have autopilot convenience features? I though all Tesla’s have at least that feature by default:( what are my options?

thank you( photo of autopilot tab attached)

Attachments

• C476044F-A13C-4CDF-8BD6-9FC04210B9BD.jpeg
    C476044F-A13C-4CDF-8BD6-9FC04210B9BD.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 492
Looks like your car indeed doesn’t have the AP convenience features. It can be added for a fee but it might take a few phone calls (try tech support or your service center). This is what my car (2015 S85D) has:

B46E45DB-95D9-4196-9DB5-99BA402DED58.jpeg

Sorry for the potentially sideways picture.

When my car was built, all of Autopilot was included as a part of the Tech Package, but the effect is the same as having the Autopilot convenience features, which is what’s applicable to your car.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Thanks Bruce, so when you purchased the car, did you have to add Tech package as an option, or was it automatically included? I am just trying to understand if it was even possible that teslas in 2015 were sold without autopilot convenience features? I was under assumption that all cars had basic autopilot if autopilot hardware was in the car. In my case I do have the hardware, I see cars around me in the instrument cluster, so autopilot hardware is definitely working, but I cant enable the blue lines:(

Thanks Bruce, so when you purchased the car, did you have to add Tech package as an option, or was it automatically included? I am just trying to understand if it was even possible that teslas in 2015 were sold without autopilot convenience features? I was under assumption that all cars had basic autopilot if autopilot hardware was in the car. In my case I do have the hardware, I see cars around me in the instrument cluster, so autopilot hardware is definitely working, but I cant enable the blue lines:(
All cars were built with the hardware but autopilot (or tech package, depending on when it was build in 2015) is a separate option. If you bought your car used from Tesla, they would have disabled the original AP features; you will have to purchase it again. If you did a private sale, you should get whatever the original owner got. You may want to contact the seller to confirm which options the car had.

All cars were built with the hardware but autopilot (or tech package, depending on when it was build in 2015) is a separate option. If you bought your car used from Tesla, they would have disabled the original AP features; you will have to purchase it again. If you did a private sale, you should get whatever the original owner got. You may want to contact the seller to confirm which options the car had.

Ok that clarifies it. So the previous owner did not pay for the package I guess. Who in their right mind would do that?:( it's like buying an airplane and not flying it, but just taxiing it on the runway. This is sad, Tesla would probably want way too much money to enable this feature for it to be justifiable.

Ok that clarifies it. So the previous owner did not pay for the package I guess. Who in their right mind would do that?:( it's like buying an airplane and not flying it, but just taxiing it on the runway. This is sad, Tesla would probably want way too much money to enable this feature for it to be justifiable.
I bought my car just after AP was separated from the tech package (the rest of the tech package features became standard). I paid either $2000 or $2500 (I don't remember) but it was well worth it to me. I have 175,000 miles on it and the vast majority of them on AP.

Reactions: TimT and bmah

The tech package was an option (again this was before your car). Most owners, but not everybody, bought it. I remember a story that for those few cars that didn't have the tech package, they had a special sign indicating that when they rolled down the assembly line. (Tech package and non-tech package cars actually had different hardware due to other feature differences.)

I could actually see where having auto-steer might not be useful for people...if you only drive in-town for instance, AP isn't even recommended for use in those scenarios. (And I have used AP quite a lot starting from the day the software was rolled out to the fleet.)

I think @GlmnAlyAirCar is right on the price, it was somewhere around $2K to $3K. Some people in a similar situation have reported a little difficulty finding someone in Tesla who actually knows how to price out the addition of autopilot convenience features on an AP1 car (technically that'd be "a car with AutoPilot Version 1 Hardware").

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT
Does anyone know if tesla would charge 2000 to get this feature enabled on a used car or would it be cheaper?

Whatever the number was, I've never heard of a discount for adding AP to a used car, even an older one like yours. In fact if you were to buy a new Model S today, it costs more to add AP after the sale than it does to bundle it in with the vehicle purchase.

Also, I just realized you're in Canada. I was thinking of prices in 'Murican dollars.

Bruce.

I am just trying to understand if it was even possible that teslas in 2015 were sold without autopilot convenience features?
Short answer is yes. Tech package option ($4,250 USD) went away (in US) on April 10th 2015, which was before 90KWh battery was introduced. So I don't think you're going to find any US S90D with tech package, unless they were born as 85D and had their battery replaced (though outside of US it might be different?) . Any cars ordered after that date, had AutoPilot Convenience Package as a separate option. Some options from tech package became standard, some part of premium package, and autopilot functionality was separate as ACP. IIRC ACP was ~$2,500 USD.

Who in their right mind would do that?:( it's like buying an airplane and not flying it, but just taxiing it on the runway.
Teslas fly quiet nicely without autopilot :D. $2,500 USD is a lot of money to pay for something if you are not planning on using it (remember also that AP was still in it's diaper stages at the time). That said, good news for you is that that if this functionality is worth $2,500 USD to you, I believe you can still pay Tesla to enable it. Call them up.

PS> It sounds like you bought the car from private party, so I would check with the seller just in case, whether their car had ACP, on the small chance that it got stripped during ownership transfer. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, very small chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
@EZBoy , if your car ownership has been transferred and you see it in your app, click on "Upgrades" in the app on the car screen, see if any upgrades are available. If AutoPilot is available, once you pay, you should get is within hours (keep you car connected to internet via WiFi to speed it up). See picture below where to find this.
Upgrades.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: bmah
@EZBoy , if your car ownership has been transferred and you see it in your app, click on "Upgrades" in the app on the car screen, see if any upgrades are available. If AutoPilot is available, once you pay, you should get is within hours (keep you car connected to internet via WiFi to speed it up). See picture below where to find this.

Given the difficulty that other AP1 owners have encountered, I'm genuinely curious to see if one can add convenience features this way. (One would guess the number of owners who would do this upgrade is probably small and shrinking, given that AP1 hardware hasn't been sold for...four years now?)

Bruce.

Given the difficulty that other AP1 owners have encountered, I'm genuinely curious to see if one can add convenience features this way. (One would guess the number of owners who would do this upgrade is probably small and shrinking, given that AP1 hardware hasn't been sold for...four years now?)

I'm one of the weirdos that did not get Autopilot (Dec 2015 90D); there is no upgrade path through the app to add autopilot for me. That suits me fine.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and bmah
I recently became a proud owner of 2015 90D. The car comes with autopilot hardware, radar, autopilot tab on the main screen. But for some reason, when I turn on autopilot, the car only goes on cruise control and I don’t see the blue lines that would indicate auto steering. Is it possible that my car does not have autopilot convenience features? I though all Tesla’s have at least that feature by default:( what are my options?

thank you( photo of autopilot tab attached)
I just bought a 2016 model s 90 D and this is what I get with upgrade. I have the same screen as you and autopilot does not appear to work.
7F3F97E8-BB9F-4A75-A78E-7825F73FEC92.png

Attachments

• 29FFBC32-7BE7-4D25-9BBF-B7953164233F.jpeg
    29FFBC32-7BE7-4D25-9BBF-B7953164233F.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 230