Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No base Model Y available on tesla now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and right now they are saying they haven't decided when they will be produced. with the model 3 it was almost 2 years i believe. there is always a market for base models, but i don't think it's as big, and i'm positive it's not as lucrative.

from what i have seen on here, there are more folks interested in maxing it out.

pretty sure it's all about demand. get a bunch of them out on the road. tesla does no advertising.

Were you living in a cave the last month? ;)

Well I don't go on the Tesla website every single day, and even less frequently to the Y page. I don't want a Y. I was only there recently because my wife has mentioned wanting a Volvo XC90,60, or 40, and I have to walk a fine line between steering her towards a Y and letting her make up her own mind.

But since Tesla forced me to either pay an extra $14,000 for my 3 RWD LR or wait another year, it wouldn't surprise me if they pull the same thing with the Y. Gotta place corporate PROFITS ahead of customer satisfaction!:eek:

Since I am a Tesla owner, will that count for anything with ordering a Y ahead of non-Tesla owners? I don't think it'll make much difference, since many people have 3's now.

• Disagree
Reactions: ragedogg69
I ordered a RWD model Y in September 2019 with a deposit of $3500. In January i noticed that the range figures had been eliminated. I called Tesla in Cherry Hill NJ, and was told that they are no longer making the RWD Y. But, what about my contract? "Oh, that is not really a contract, it's just a reservation which the company can charge at any time as they like. You can request a full refund or upgrade to the AWD". Hmmm, I want the car, sooo I upgraded. I know it's a great car. However, the customer service... not so great!

I understand the need for more profits, but why force the AWD on us? Many people live in parts of the country with no need for AWD whatsoever. Even where I live I have never needed it, thanks to my ace-pro-master level driving skills :rolleyes:.

There's no Short Range version showing either. We have a 3 SR RWD, so why not a Y SR RWD?

Tesla just raised 2.3 Billion in their new stock offering, they aren't hurting for cash like when I was waiting 2 years for my 3 RWD LR back in 2016-2018.

• Disagree
Reactions: ragedogg69
I understand the need for more profits, but why force the AWD on us? Many people live in parts of the country with no need for AWD whatsoever. Even where I live I have never needed it, thanks to my ace-pro-master level driving skills :rolleyes:.

There's no Short Range version showing either. We have a 3 SR RWD, so why not a Y SR RWD?

Tesla just raised 2.3 Billion in their new stock offering, they aren't hurting for cash like when I was waiting 2 years for my 3 RWD LR back in 2016-2018.
Tesla isn't going to magically change strategy. They always prioritize premium configurations when launching new products.

This is entirely due to Wall Street and the media perpetuating this fear cycle about the company. Tesla is forced to run the company efficiently even if those changes are difficult for customers. No other choices. $2 Billion is essentially pennies in a rapidly growing business. It can disappear pretty quickly if the economy weakens or there are any missteps. They are essentially buying insurance with that capital raise. Not a license to spend money at will.

I will agree their communication strategy with customers could be better.

I wonder if Tesla will follow suite like the X and S and make the Y AWD only in order to crank out as many as possible. With the 3 the only option for the RWD, it’s still kind of SXY. Just not SEXY.

A game plan like Subaru, almost everything is AWD minus the BRZ..

I wonder if Tesla will follow suite like the X and S and make the Y AWD only in order to crank out as many as possible. With the 3 the only option for the RWD, it’s still kind of SXY. Just not SEXY.

A game plan like Subaru, almost everything is AWD minus the BRZ..
i think they will offer more variations once they get a bunch that they KNOW are sold out on the road. that's what they did with the 3. andwho can blame them for selling some more expensive ones first with demand being what it is.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I ordered a RWD model Y in September 2019 with a deposit of $3500. In January i noticed that the range figures had been eliminated. I called Tesla in Cherry Hill NJ, and was told that they are no longer making the RWD Y. But, what about my contract? "Oh, that is not really a contract, it's just a reservation which the company can charge at any time as they like. You can request a full refund or upgrade to the AWD". Hmmm, I want the car, sooo I upgraded. I know it's a great car. However, the customer service... not so great!

Well, perhaps you should have held out (presuming you are talking about LR RWD, not SR+), but you will be getting a better vehicle, except for the extra cost of the front motor.

i was lucky that AWD was one of my requirements and LR was a no brainer. AND i didn't want a 3rd seat because i don't want to be the family taxi LOL.

BUT i also agree that they could communicate much better. my wheels have changed twice without asking, and my price was raised. but as i read more and details come out, i'm also more excited because it looks like it's gonna be even better than we expect!

They have said there will be an SR+ equivalent eventually.