Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the 2024 US model Y rwd delivery has started. Tesla inventory site even has some at discounted prices (yes, 2024 models as indicated by tax credit eligibility).
I'm curious about the battery type and size.

How are you determining eligibility for the credit?
What Tesla has posted publicly.

1706223707514.png

Notice the only one with a year specified is the Model Y RWD. And the 2023s that were in inventory had a note on them that they didn't qualify for the tax credit. Like this one:

1706223829480.png

While this one qualifies:

1706223897926.png

The tax credit notification is how you can tell if an inventory Model Y RWD is a 2023 or 2024.

The 2024 credit has different requirements for the source of battery materials (among other things) than the 2023 credit. Tesla didn’t change the MY RWD battery for 2024, but they probably changed where they get raw materials to produce the battery. For example, the 2023 Model 3 LR was eligible for the 2023 credit but not the 2024 credit — same car, same battery, different rules.

Tesla didn’t change the MY RWD battery for 2024, but they probably changed where they get raw materials to produce the battery.

How do you know they didn't change it?

Tesla didn’t change the MY RWD battery for 2024, but they probably changed where they get raw materials to produce the battery. For example, the 2023 Model 3 LR was eligible for the 2023 credit but not the 2024 credit — same car, same battery, different rules.
It isn't the raw materials/minerals that is the problem, it is components from countries of concern.

What we know is that for the 2023 Model Y RWD they used the Model 3 LR battery, just software locked. We don't know what they are using for a battery in the 2024 Model Y RWD. But we know it isn't the same battery the 2023 used. (Which is still used by the 2024 Model 3 LR, that doesn't qualify for the tax credit.)

I don’t know for sure that they didn’t change it, but I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate that they have. Maybe you’ve read otherwise.
It HAS to have changed. There’s no possible explanation that doesn’t involve a different battery in 2024 models than 2023s.

(If they were the same, the leftover 2023 models would qualify for the tax credit in calendar year 2024, just like the model year 2024 cars do. But they don’t.)

2023 Model Y RWD they used the Model 3 LR battery, just software locked.
Specifically, then, the one from late-2023 (aka 2024) Model 3 LR, which we don't know the exact details of, but is presumed to be the LG NMC-A battery with something like 78.8kWh capacity (before software lock).

Otherwise, the slightly older 2023 Model 3 LR battery (or Model 3 Performance battery) would qualify for the tax credit if it were used in Model Y.

Without more info to rule it out, I suppose it's possible it's a software-locked Model Y LR battery.

It could simply be that they’ve finally put the battery they always intended to use in the car and with which its range was originally certified rather than dropping the Model 3 LR battery in the 2023 car in order to get rid of battery packs that weren’t going to be eligible for rebate in 2024.
Could be. It’s true that there is no sense in them wasting extra-valuable Panasonic credit-eligible cells in a locked-out pack.

Still it is weird they did that at all, even last year - unless they had a surplus of such packs. Just seems wasteful and adds extra weight. Don’t really understand why they cannot just go to a different number of parallel cells - they have plenty of resolution (46 cells). Maybe too hard to manage the inventory somehow? Just strange. Must be a good reason though!

Still it is weird they did that at all, even last year - unless they had a surplus of such packs. Just seems wasteful and adds extra weight.
I believe the benefits of the larger pack (even soft locked) outweigh its additional weight…as to rationale, Tesla wants to sell cars that are rebate eligible so they’d want to have moved as many of those Model 3 LR packs as possible in 2023 knowing that moving them in 2024 would be so hard…just look how long some of those RWD 2023 Ys are sitting there in inventory even with $6k discount.

I believe the benefits of the larger pack (even soft locked) outweigh its additional weight…as to rationale, Tesla wants to sell cars that are rebate eligible so they’d want to have moved as many of those Model 3 LR packs as possible in 2023 knowing that moving them in 2024 would be so hard…just look how long some of those RWD 2023 Ys are sitting there in inventory even with $6k discount.
Yeah I get that, just wondering why it could not be anticipated.

Yeah lots of benefits to end user but none are advertised and it just uses extra cells which I thought were limited (even the ones not eligible for rebates). But maybe they have extra cells so it is just simpler to not have to engineer and validate a new pack and manage the inventory, even if it is a “simple” change.

Yeah I get that, just wondering why it could not be anticipated.

Yeah lots of benefits to end user but none are advertised and it just uses extra cells which I thought were limited (even the ones not eligible for rebates). But maybe they have extra cells so it is just simpler to not have to engineer and validate a new pack and manage the inventory, even if it is a “simple” change.
I think that’s exactly it; they realized they were going to have extra LR Model 3 packs that soon wouldn’t be rebate eligible and decided to sell them while they could by dropping them into the RWD Ys