Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting. Fremont starts to manufacture MY RWD with LFP packs. But it looks like those units are for exporting to Canada. The question still remains for the battery type on tax credit eligible US MY RWD units.
That’s what I was wondering too…would Tesla produce the LFP Model Y in the US for the Canadian Market? Creating a variant exclusively for such a small market doesn’t seem very efficient.

That’s what I was wondering too…would Tesla produce the LFP Model Y in the US for the Canadian Market? Creating a variant exclusively for such a small market doesn’t seem very efficient.
The only difference is likely the battery, which is a single part. So it doesn't seem inefficient at all. It reserves the tax credit eligible packs for the US customers.

The packs are interchangeable? I’d have thought that different packs would necessitate other differences (wiring, charger, etc)
Yes. The charger is part of the pack, but the vehicle side is mostly the same if not identical for the Model Y.

As an example if an old Model 3 RWD with a 2170 based pack fails Tesla is giving people the option to get an LFP pack instead of a replacement 2170 pack. They specify that some suspension changes are necessary because of the extra weight.

But the Model Y RWD is already using a heavy LR pack...

Reactions: mborkow
We have 1 data point suggesting a non-software locked battery in the 2024 RWD. We also have a rando in the Youtube comment section suggesting it is a software locked battery. Any further evidence out there yet? I'm considering an inventory purchase on March 31st and knowing this info would help make my mind up.

Just got my Model Y RWD build in Fremont on 2/24. Just took a trip to Nashville from Detroit, Max charging rate I got was 160KW the battery was below 10%. Used only the 250KW supercharger
Curious as to the charge rate as you near 100% if you have that info?

Reactions: jsight
We have 1 data point suggesting a non-software locked battery in the 2024 RWD. We also have a rando in the Youtube comment section suggesting it is a software locked battery. Any further evidence out there yet? I'm considering an inventory purchase on March 31st and knowing this info would help make my mind up.

I this thread there's someone with a US 2024 RWD Fremont build still getting 50kw at 99% which suggests a software limited battery
USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

Reactions: redpoint5

Just took a road trip at 90 % I was pulling 62KW then around 98% I was still getting 45KW

Just took a road trip at 90 % I was pulling 62KW then around 98% I was still getting 45KW
That seems to suggest you have the long range battery then, right? This data point conflicts with your prior observation that the car wouldn't pull more than 160 kW.

As far as I know, we still cannot conclude anything about what battery the 2024 RWD has.

That seems to suggest you have the long range battery then, right? This data point conflicts with your prior observation that the car wouldn't pull more than 160 kW.

As far as I know, we still cannot conclude anything about what battery the 2024 RWD has.
Agree. No conclusion yet, all rumors.
someone also reported that 2024 MY RWD has a 32amp onboard charging unit vs 2023's 48amp. This is pointing to a smaller battery pack.

Figured I’d add another data point for the bottom end spectrum of charging for those following… arrived at supercharger at 2% and it ramped up quickly to a max of only 160kw… but stayed there until until I was ready to leave at 44%. Outside temp was ~62 and I’d say there was enough time for preconditioning… I was slightly disappointed at the peak rate, but happy it didn’t taper throughout the session.

Reactions: jsight and tunnu
Figured I’d add another data point for the bottom end spectrum of charging for those following… arrived at supercharger at 2% and it ramped up quickly to a max of only 160kw… but stayed there until until I was ready to leave at 44%. Outside temp was ~62 and I’d say there was enough time for preconditioning… I was slightly disappointed at the peak rate, but happy it didn’t taper throughout the session.

I guess Tesla actually got around to downgrading the max charging speed for 2024. It probably won't make much difference in overall charging time though, as the 250kW charging enabled pack doesn't stay above 160kW for very long.

Reactions: jsight
I just supercharged my RWD for the first time. Started at 12% @166kw and stayed in the 160's til it was over 55% charged. I added 41kWh in 17 minutes. My wife's '22 MYP adds +/- about the same amount of energy in the same charge time. Peak charge might be lower than the rest, but the sustain makes up for it, at least in my opinion.