Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the 2024 model battery is 3-4kwh smaller in size compared to 2023 model.
Hope someone can report the actual 2024 car test results including charging curve soon.
Can someone please post the verified capacity of the 2023? Sounds like it is being claimed to be 70kWh - just wondering where is the post with that confirmed data (SMT at 100% or whatever).

We know for sure the 2024 is 66.5kWh or so.

Reactions: mborkow
Can someone please post the verified capacity of the 2023? Sounds like it is being claimed to be 70kWh - just wondering where is the post with that confirmed data (SMT at 100% or whatever).

We know for sure the 2024 is 66.5kWh or so.

And

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There was also this post where a forum member was told which pack was in the car:
LG E3 M50F battery
I doubt the average salesperson knows this level of detail about the pack…that seems pretty specific.

• Informative
There was also this post where a forum member was told which pack was in the car:
LG E3 M50F battery
I doubt the average salesperson knows this level of detail about the pack…that seems pretty specific.
Agreed, seems like ~70kWh.

Would be good to see an energy screen somewhere too, and a bit better capture from SMT actually showing NFP and Nominal Remaining at 100%. That would seal the deal though I trust the other things displayed in these various threads.

Tessie is limited and won’t show the true maximum necessarily (nor will the energy screen method). They are limited in the high side by the degradation threshold. These issues are solved with SMT on a new car with the correct data displayed (time is rapidly running out for the 2023 models since they are losing capacity).

But anyway minimum is about 70kWh.

Would be good to have the constant (energy screen with rated range remaining in miles not % captured) and the rated range at 100% documented too (I don’t track these things and it is hard to look them up for these one-off vehicles).

Do we think they are using the mid-range model 3 pack architecture again with panasonic cells for 2024 to achieve compliance with the credit? that was a 65 kwh pack, then they wouldn't have to tool up a bunch of new parts?

perhaps we can ask some questions of the inventory cars for 2024 model y, see if the level 2 charging amps are 32 or 48? or perhaps the curb weight of the car would be the telling factor if it's up to date?

Reactions: mborkow
Interesting.
If 2024 uses the same pack on MY LR and locked it down to 66kWh, that would be 20% (66/82) locked capacity.
waiting to see charging curve to confirm this though.

Btw, to protect your eyes, dim your phone screen before watching the above Branden Flasch video. His videos are so flashy... lol.

Just got my Model Y RWD build in Fremont on 2/24. Just took a trip to Nashville from Detroit, Max charging rate I got was 160KW the battery was below 10%. Used only the 250KW supercharger
Then it’s definitely a different battery pack as the 2023 RWD has been documented at getting 250 kW. I’ve only supercharged my 23 RWD once but I was pulling 141 kW when I initiated charging at 41% (I was just testing that my billing was set up correctly).

Attachments

• IMG_9025.png
    IMG_9025.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 37
Some questions I asked Chat GPT resulted in some answers to this. The LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery is in some RWD models, but not AWD models. specifically the RWD 3 and Y. These don't qualify for the rebate because China has a monopoly on LFP batteries, whereas the Li-ion batteries qualify due to some US manufacturing. I don't know all the details without further research, so this is preliminary information. LFP batteries are considered more stable and safer, longer lasting, and don't mind being charged to 100% and left there for long periods of time, unlike Li-ion batteries which degrade when charged and left at 100%. Li-ion batteries have a greater energy to weight ratio, so provide for more range, likely why they're used in Dual Motor AWD Teslas, but require more careful charging practices.

• Funny