Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No connectivity for a few minutes after starting car

Does your car connect to 3G/LTE when you start driving?

• 3G/LTE never works for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, when it does connect after a delay (not moving the car), what is the signal level?
It’s 5 bar once it reconnects.
I also had a situation just a few days ago where I kept returning to the car about once an hour throughout the day to watch the news on YouTube. Didn’t drive or leave the parking space or put the car in gear, just opened the drivers door and sat down and went to YouTube.
The first two times I was able to immediately connect (5 bars). The next two times had to wait a full 4 minutes, after which it connected with 5 bars.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
It’s 5 bar once it reconnects.
I also had a situation just a few days ago where I kept returning to the car about once an hour throughout the day to watch the news on YouTube. Didn’t drive or leave the parking space or put the car in gear, just opened the drivers door and sat down and went to YouTube.
The first two times I was able to immediately connect (5 bars). The next two times had to wait a full 4 minutes, after which it connected with 5 bars.
Based on why you say, it may not be a connection issue to the MCU. Usually when that happens, you don't get 4 or 5 bars reception unless you are VERY CLOSE to a cell tower. Sounds strange that you get these random delays.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
I feel it is more likely to be related to the cars power conservation strategies. If my model 3 is fully asleep it can take 3 to 5 minutes for LTE to come online. In the example above where @ShockOnT returns to his parked car to watch Youtube every hour, the car will likely have been asleep, with only the pager function of the phone active. Perhaps there is some delay to wake on the LTE, so it does not come to life every time your open a door to retrieve shopping or some such.

I have this exact issue and it also started after MCU2 upgrade. It's clearly a software bug from my observation of the behaviour. The car is failing to wake up under some circumstances (making it unreachable by the app at times) and then sometimes takes many minutes to re-establish connectivity once it does. Other times it will re-establish immediately. As others have mentioned, it would appear that the MCU2's 'smart' power saving (rather than the manual options for MCU1) are behind the underlying problem.

I reported the same issue taking minutes to reconnect (MCU 1 - upgraded to MCU2) to Telsa, in May. After a few days I was notified the issue will be fixed via a software upgrade. It did feel like I was being bumped off.

It also seems to be taking a very long time to correct and problem only arose after I paid for MCU upgrade.

Maybe we should all report the same issue simultaneously to get some attention drawn to this issue

I reported the same issue taking minutes to reconnect (MCU 1 - upgraded to MCU2) to Telsa, in May. After a few days I was notified the issue will be fixed via a software upgrade. It did feel like I was being bumped off.

It also seems to be taking a very long time to correct and problem only arose after I paid for MCU upgrade.

Maybe we should all report the same issue simultaneously to get some attention drawn to this issue
I spoke to Mobile Service who is experiencing the same issues in his car. I don't know what else we can do at this stage unless we have firm numbers. He seemed to indicate it was an issue introduced with a software update a while back that updated Intel Cellular Modem Drivers and that it's likely an issue that Tesla have to resolve with the vendor etc...

I spoke to Mobile Service who is experiencing the same issues in his car. I don't know what else we can do at this stage unless we have firm numbers. He seemed to indicate it was an issue introduced with a software update a while back that updated Intel Cellular Modem Drivers and that it's likely an issue that Tesla have to resolve with the vendor etc...
Ok - cool, if it's cause them issues, I'm sure it'll get resolved

My car had the aforementioned delay with LTE connecting. Also a second issue where it was not waking from the app by cellular connection. This I found more annoying actually. So I reported the fault to Tesla. They came out and replaced the Connectivity card. Both issues now appear fixed. LTE now appears instantly when I kill WiFi by putting the car into drive (parked at home). Also it is waking when the app commands Tesla to poke it via sms. This has not worked for me for many months. The replacement connectivity card comes with the latest modem firmware preloaded . So not obvious to me if it was the software or hardware update that fixed it.

I am in the UAE with a 2017 model s and got the infotainment upgrade a couple of months back.

Every week or so I lose my cellular connectivity. The first time I lost it for over a week. I took it to the SC and they kept the car for 2.5 days. They said they upgraded some HW and then had to install a specific firmware to make it work. Since then it happens once a week. Sometime it takes hours to come back. Happened again today. Highly annoying. I am on 2021.24.3

For my Model 3 the only time it takes 3-4 minutes to connect is when I restart the car from the steering wheel buttons. Then it takes about 3-4 minutes until it gets connection. All other times whnl leaving wifi connection or coming to a parked car, the connection is instant or at most few seconds.
There seemed to be some delay in the Spotify app on 2021.4.18.2 software where the songs advanced and it took a minute to start displaying the new song details, but that seems to have sorted itself with the 2021.12.25.7 update.

Perhaps the delay when using the buttons is intentional to stop it fully waking inadvertantly. Seems like an outlier case though. Wouldn't the car usually wake when you open the door or sit on the driver's seat before you press any steering wheel buttons?

My issues continue with this on the 2015 Model S eve after latest 2021.4.3 Updates.
I have just upgraded my 2015 Model S in Sweden to MCU2 and got exactly this problem.

Maybe 1 in 4 times when I enter the car it has lost the connection and it takes about 3-4 minutes before it is reestablished.

So far I don’t see any pattern on the amount of time I have been away from the car or something like that. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes stop (that is most annoying). It doesn’t seem to be related to whether the computer/car is “asleep” or not.

Sometimes when I entered the car the screen has been black for a few seconds, which I assume is when it has been asleep. But then connectivity works fine directly (ok maybe a few seconds delay or so, but nothing ). It is the apparently random approx. 4 minute delay that is annoying.

I recently booked a service call because since my MCU2 upgrade my car doesn’t connect to the 3G or LTE network for three or four minutes every third or fourth time I start it. I can be halfway to my destination before it connects to the mobile network.

Tesla service phoned me to say that this was a software issue that was affecting everyone and it would be fixed over the air one-day and I could go ahead and cancel my service booking, which I did.

I told him it was strange that it only started with the MCU2 upgrade and they said it was just a coincidence.

To test this assertion, is everyone else already also getting this problem?
It isn't isolated and I've had the same advice from Tesla since December 2020 when MCU2 was installed. Now, for the last 5 days, I've had no mobile connectivity at all. Wifi still works so I'm using the wifi always on feature to hotspot. Our MX is the gift that keeps giving into our 5th year of ownership 🤦‍♂️. I'm going to ask for a warranty replacement for piss and giggles.

It isn't isolated and I've had the same advice from Tesla since December 2020 when MCU2 was installed. Now, for the last 5 days, I've had no mobile connectivity at all. Wifi still works so I'm using the wifi always on feature to hotspot. Our MX is the gift that keeps giving into our 5th year of ownership 🤦‍♂️. I'm going to ask for a warranty replacement for piss and giggles.
I wonder if it's unique to Australia? Maybe that's why it's not generating enough pain to get fixed?

Still happening to me on latest software version etc..
Yes. I am sure this also has happened a while ago and then seemed to have been fixed. Now back again - reverse down driveway, car loses wifi connectivity and then several minute wait for LTE.
Also it seems that internet radio is cutting out more while driving although anything is possible with Telstra.

Reactions: Wol747