Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife loves her 2001 Toyota Echo with the one center speedo. She will be fine with the single screen. I have no problems at all adapting to her car instantly when I drive it. I think the one point brought up above is about my only mild concern. When I look at the center speedo on the Echo there is no turning map or moving music bar. It's very simple and straight forward. I have a little (small.. tiny) nagging fear that the LCD screen may be too cluttered to make checking speed a quick glance.

A friend of mine cleaned up a shot of the screen and posted it on my FB page. It looks very busy for a quick speed check BUT the speed is very clear so it might be just fine. OVer all I am hoping it get... refined.
View attachment 170070
The existing software as displayed on that screenshot is obviously not acceptable. I don't think it would be approved by the NHTSA, and it should not be. The speedometer needs to be much larger. the "P / R / D / N" symbols need to be larger and it needs to be clearer which gear you're in. There needs to be a clear spot which is only for vital warning messages (like "CHARGE SOON" or "PULL OVER NOW"). Everything else in that corner of the screen needs to be removed; it is not acceptable for it to be an "overlay" with a distracting map behind it on all four sides.

Presumably they will fix all of that. The prototype model S software was very different from the final version.

As far as hardware, an anti-glare shield is absolutely necessary; Model S has one, the Toyota Echo has one, it's a piece of plastic, they can design one.

I will admit that no steering wheel buttons might be a deal breaker for me if that ends up being the final design. I love being able to answer and hang up calls with steering wheel buttons. I also prefer physical buttons/knob for music volume adjustment vs a touchscreen. So I hope that is not final.

I will survive with the center instrument cluster, but I would be much happier if there is a HUD. They are putting those in pretty mainstream vehicles now, so I don't think that is unreasonable.

Quick check 2015 vehicles with HUD: Some BMW, MB, a couple Audis and a couple Hyundais. If, perchance Tesla does not see the need for a HUD (and I have only ever seen one in my life and I'm old), I hope you don't get bent because Tesla wants to give you what really matters at a price HALF of what their other cars sell for.

You don't get it all. You get the best for the money. Probably no HUD, but I would guess a button or two on the steering. Maybe.

Does the Bolt give you HUD? How about buttons on the steering, or fins in the air vents? Hmmmm.

We had a BMW with a HUD and while it was neat, overall it was more of a gimmick. It was nice to see the speed and turn by turn directions up there, but how often do you really need to look at your speed? Especially in a car that can warn you that you are over the speed limit (by a pre-set amount).

Judging by the lack of buttons on steering wheel and the way the landscape screen is kind of floating in space, this is going to change a lot.
The screen will at least be integrated into the dash, why would you waste empty space behind something? It also increases risk of literally ripping off the monitor.
I don't buy the demo drivers assertion that this is close to final, it just can't be.

If you look around at newer cars interior design, more and more screens use floating design or "tablet on a stand" look. The bigger the screen, the harder it is to integrate into the dashboard - which, contrary to what you believe, would waste more space than a floating design.

There will be changes like the shape of the dashboard, position of the screen, buttons on steering wheel etc. But the basic concept of single large screen in the center with no instrument panel concept will not change.

I think a HUD is an absolute given. They stated clearly there is a lot they didn't want to reveal about the Model 3, and that current setup doesn't even look road legal. Also echoing concerns about having an infotainment system that can run apps and navigation also be the place where you receive essential warnings and info.

I think this is my only potential dealbreaker, if there's no secondary instrument panel or (most preferably) a HUD with basic info.

on the other hand, that expanse of empty dash space... I might not get used to that so quickly.
Plus there is the emptiness of the dashboard.
So maybe they solved the storage problem? Flip-top dashboard cabinet.
So when the screen is not working or the OS running the screen locks up you'll know nothing about the car speed etc.
How fast the car is going is a lot like cooking dinner: when you hear sirens, it's been too long/going too fast.
You as the driver would be glancing at the upper left corner of the screen that is at the height of the upper half of the steering wheel.
In retrospect wish I had grabbed the quote more in line with my point, but with Elon saying the display is as much for the passenger as driver, and the floating stalk design, could the passenger foolishly have the screen titled in their direction when you go to look over for some important piece of information?

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
What happens if something gets in your right eye? Ever have a contact lens issue and are unable to open an eye or have extreme blurring in 1 eye? Try having to always glance down and to the right during a heavy rainstorm. Having a centered dash lets you focus on the road and see your speed at the same time. The speed being displayed only on the center dash is a terrible idea

I don't know of any other car with redundant displays.
Don't confuse redundant with independent. Independent is so that when the complex IVI screen running GPS, web browser, apps, etc. malfunctions or lags you can still get your actual speed, watch for any warnings (car health or even blind spot warning which is useless unless updated in real-time), etc. Both Model S and Model X have their cluster completely independent of the IVI, and yes, the IVI does suffer form lags, occasional malfunctions, and on rare-occurrences spontaneous reboots.

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
One of the most important things, that attracts me und wants me to get a Tesla is the Autopilot Feature. I want to see on a display or hud or oled or whatever in front of me, while driving, what the tec "sees" and what the tec "does". As a driver not being responsible is in far future, for years to come I have to be in control. Can't imagine, how a car can get an approval without.
Musk said he hasn' showed all. And the unveilling and prototypes showed absolutely nothing in this direction.
How will the top Versions with Prices 50k, 60k or more sell without an Autopilot Display similar to that of the MS or MX? That's one of the Features defining Tesla as a high tec brand in my eyes.
So I hope for the second unveilling (or the facelift of the MS or whatsoever coming first) showing the gen. II Autopilot Features including some new kind of visualisation in front of the driver within the next two years.

Reactions: jkk_
Both Model S and Model X have their cluster completely independent of the IVI, and yes, the IVI does suffer form lags, occasional malfunctions, and on rare-occurrences spontaneous reboots.

/thread

End of discussion. No company, not even famed Apple, has made a UI that is lag and stutter-free. Tesla's reputation on this is, at best, iffy.

How can Elon talk so much about safety, but in a car made for people to drive (remember, autopilot steering, etc. Is a paid upgrade) have the speedometer sometimes stutter, lag, or even crash?

There's legal implications, for speed limits.

I can already read the headlines: Model 3: a car built ahead of its time (subtext: a little too far ahead, unfortunately).

It's gotta have a HUD. No instrument cluster, as already confirmed, but something else. Polarizing design decisions can be smoothed out over time, but this is a place Tesla can't compromise.

A lot is being said that with Autopilot you don't need a drivers console. Well, in the USA with it's wide roads that may be true. Here in the UK most of the roads I drive down, Autopilot would either not work (in it's current state) or would be dangerous.

Also, I thought the model 3 was going up against the BMW model 3; at least going for that market. Well all the BMW model 3 drivers that I know chose it FOR the driving experience. You are not going to get that with Autopilot and a distracting only centre dash. Another point is that with a drivers dash, the important information is always in the same place so you don't have to search for it. Another view that the screen is in the middle so "the passenger can get access". Really? A recipe for disaster that one. In an S or X if the passenger messes/uses the centre screen, it doesn't matter that much as the important information is "locked" in front of the driver.

I REALLY want Tesla and the model 3 to be a success, but at the moment I can't see it converting anyone who is not already convinced, therefore restricting the target market. I do hope the have done WORLDWIDE market research on this and not just spoken to those who would buy Tesla no matter what.

Reactions: jkk_
What if they allowed you to bluetooth connect your phone to the car and had an app that displayed the speed, etc? That way, anyone who really wanted gauges could mount their smart phone or tablet at the base of the windshield or on the dash and call up the app. The current Tesla app displays your speed when you're driving. I specifically checked this on the way to work this morning. While cruising down the highway, my app said "driving 72 mph." Maybe even a third party developer could do this and design it to display the speed nice and large. If anybody does this, can I please have 6 cents per app sold for coming up with the idea:)
There are apps out there that use GPS to tell you how fast you're moving. The one I have just shows a 2 digit speed. I think that would suffice.

Quick check 2015 vehicles with HUD: Some BMW, MB, a couple Audis and a couple Hyundais. If, perchance Tesla does not see the need for a HUD (and I have only ever seen one in my life and I'm old), I hope you don't get bent because Tesla wants to give you what really matters at a price HALF of what their other cars sell for.

You don't get it all. You get the best for the money. Probably no HUD, but I would guess a button or two on the steering. Maybe.

Does the Bolt give you HUD? How about buttons on the steering, or fins in the air vents? Hmmmm.

Cameros and Prius's have HUDs. Those are pretty mainstream cars, which was my point. They aren't expensive.

And I don't know why all the vitriol about having a HUD as an option. If you believe in Tesla's vision so much, you wouldn't have to buy it.

Edit: oh, I get it now. You must be one of those that believed the 3 would be an econobox because it was going to be half the price of an S. Well, I fully expect my 3 to be priced in the upper $50k range, so I would expect to be able to get some of the same creature comforts that other $50k cars offer. Otherwise how will Tesla steal buyers from BMW and Audi to further their EV vision?

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon