Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No heated steering wheel? (Leaf and Bolt have it)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe *everyone* would be happier if Tesla didn't reel the Model 3 launch date in by what, ~1.5-2 years? Then we could all order everything we want in a big "TA-DA" moment in 2019!

What's your point? How is it related to heated steering wheel?

Heated steering wheel is no rocket science, nor is it expensive to implement or manufacture. It is simply a board room decision whether it is offered or not. So in no way would such feature cause any delay in Model 3 launch.

Glass half-full: Tesla is way ahead of the original schedule that I bought into when I reserved, so the current situation seems both reasonable and logical. I'm happy.
Glass half-empty: What I want isn't available in this first wave, so I'm going to cancel. I'm sad.

This is not a glass half full or empty difference. It would only apply to something which are not a "must-have", just a nice "bonus" if available. For example, if Tesla announced that they would cancel plans for AWD/dual motor version, I would definitely cancel my order.

The problem is that now that it is not available at launch, and there is no mention of a feature "to be available later" (like the full autonomous driving), it means uncertainty of whether it will be available in a year or two or at all. I am not going to cancel now, I am willing to wait till "late 2018" when the AWD (another must have for me) version is available, and I'd keep my finger crossed that they would add the heated steering wheel feature by then.

What's your point? How is it related to heated steering wheel?

Heated steering wheel is no rocket science, nor is it expensive to implement or manufacture. It is simply a board room decision whether it is offered or not. So in no way would such feature cause any delay in Model 3 launch.

This is not a glass half full or empty difference. It would only apply to something which are not a "must-have", just a nice "bonus" if available. For example, if Tesla announced that they would cancel plans for AWD/dual motor version, I would definitely cancel my order.

The problem is that now that it is not available at launch, and there is no mention of a feature "to be available later" (like the full autonomous driving), it means uncertainty of whether it will be available in a year or two or at all. I am not going to cancel now, I am willing to wait till "late 2018" when the AWD (another must have for me) version is available, and I'd keep my finger crossed that they would add the heated steering wheel feature by then.

I'm glad you're willing to wait it out with me for features we really want. I realize a heated steering wheel is not rocket science, but I also know that project dates really do get blown because of all the little "easy" things that get slipped in by the board. Ruthless prioritization is what allowed Tesla to reel in the date by 2 years. As a reservation holder, this new timeline buys them a lot of slack in my book.

With climate control can't you just heat up the car before getting in? Does heated steering wheel really make a different?
Having just spent a winter in Wisconsin for business, and having to get in cars where the outside temp was 10-20 degrees below zero I can say YES a heated wheel makes a huge difference - and can also help you tolerate a colder cabing (saving a lot of electricity and increasing range).

How about heated gloves if its that serious?

I have some and they work great.

I have heated gloves that I use in my chevy volt without heated steering wheel. They work fine but are a bit of a PITA to use.

The heated wheel in my S is a more comfortable and convenient solution by far. If the 3 does not have a heated wheel I likely will delay my order until it becomes available.

Cabin heat alone is not enough for me. When temperatures are well below freezing, the ice cold wheel wheel just drains heat from my hands, when they desperately need more heat not less. I do have symptoms of Reynard's syndrome.

@KarenRei - I have looked for aftermarket wheel heaters to no avail. Even retrofitting a car with factory parts when available is a very expensive job. I have come to the conclusion that buying a car with a factory installed heated wheel or heated gloves are the only practical options.

GSP

I have heated gloves that I use in my chevy volt without heated steering wheel. They work fine but are a bit of a PITA to use.

The heated wheel in my S is a more comfortable and convenient solution by far. If the 3 does not have a heated wheel I likely will delay my order until it becomes available.

Cabin heat alone is not enough for me. When temperatures are well below freezing, the ice cold wheel wheel just drains heat from my hands, when they desperately need more heat not less. I do have symptoms of Reynard's syndrome.

@KarenRei - I have looked for aftermarket wheel heaters to no avail. Even retrofitting a car with factory parts when available is a very expensive job. I have come to the conclusion that buying a car with a factory installed heated wheel or heated gloves are the only practical options.

GSP
Sounds good to me.

What did she do before heated steering wheels became an option?

The PUP steering wheel is also 'leather' (whatever) covered, so, a 'cold' wheel isn't as bad as a bare (plastic) wheel. That's most people's memory of a freezing (for whatever value of freezing you may want to call it...) steering wheel. I think it's just another anti-sell...

And for those thinking subzero would be broken out later, they *just* put it into the PUP on the S and X, leaving no options that aren't software (and seats for the X, and wheels, color, battery for all.). That's it. All three cars now have the same options, one. The PUP. That looks like the plan.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I never saw a heated steering wheel as a feature I would pay for until my wife got a used 2014 LEAF. I will say living in a very cold at times location, it is a very nice feature.

If Tesla is supposedly a luxury car manufacturer, then shouldn't these luxury features at least be an option? People comment I'm being asked to pay an extra $1000 for any color of paint other than black because this isnt a Toyota. Yet my three year old cheap electric car has this feature standard.

I have a hard time seeing this as an oversight. This is a great supplement for electric cars in winter. I'm going to be greatly disappointed in this luxury car manufacturer if it isn't an option even if it is just at the start of production.

Reactions: preilly44 and GSP
Looking at the list of top-selling plug-in vehicles so far in 2017, based on InsideEVs Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard:

1. Tesla Model S
2. Chevy Volt
3. Toyota Prius Prime
4. Tesla Model X
5. Chevy Bolt
6. Nissan Leaf
7. Ford Fusion Energi

All of the above offer an optional heated steering wheel.

Several EVs/PHEVs with lower sales don't offer it, like the C-Max Energi and (surprisingly) the i3. But still... Tesla omitting this option from the Model 3 (if that in fact turns out to be the case) would be an enormous disappointment in my book.

I guess we have a somewhat uncommon situation. My wife suffers from Raynaud syndrome (hands get cold and can't warm up and they hurt). The heated steering wheel really helps that more than gloves or cabin pre-heating does. This is why we are considering a Leaf 2.0 instead of a Model 3. I offered to give her my Model S (w/ heated steering wheel), but she doesn't like the S because she isn't comfortable driving a large car. She might just get the initial production Model 3 and upgrade to a newer model later if the heated steering wheel comes out later.
Exact same situation for my wife! She has always loved the heated wheel on our Leaf, and we were both disappointed that we couldn't find a Model S with it in our price range. We also (correctly) predicted the 3 would not offer it. Sigh.

And for those thinking subzero would be broken out later, they *just* put it into the PUP on the S and X, leaving no options that aren't software (and seats for the X, and wheels, color, battery for all.). That's it. All three cars now have the same options, one. The PUP. That looks like the plan.
You forgot about the options for battery size, dual motors, the rear-facing seats, and pano roof in the S. :)

Dual motors is going away :) , and yeah, they do have the seats, but you gotta admit, *most* of the a la carte options are toast!
Yeah, I'm quite disappointed in that given that years ago one of the great things about ordering a Tesla was it was much more customizable than any other vehicle. No need to force you to buy upgrades you didn't want. So much for those days!

Reactions: Topher
I think from what I saw Elon say or maybe read that the S/X would still have a wide range of options so keeping that more customizable. Until they get their production footing on the Model 3 I can understand why they would want to produce the car with the features they think most would choose to order and keep it at that for the moment. Still think the new flexible wiring plays into this decision. Mentioned it before in this thread and here's the article I saw on it: Tesla’s "flexible circuit" technology could spark wiring changes in EVs

Maybe *everyone* would be happier if Tesla didn't reel the Model 3 launch date in by what, ~1.5-2 years? Then we could all order everything we want in a big "TA-DA" moment in 2019!

Glass half-full: Tesla is way ahead of the original schedule that I bought into when I reserved, so the current situation seems both reasonable and logical. I'm happy.

Glass half-empty: What I want isn't available in this first wave, so I'm going to cancel. I'm sad.

Half full will not include those who want AWD or owners who live outside USA ( like Canadians who have late 2018 as their delivery periods)

What you described as half empty sounds more like people who are rationalizing a cancellation and/or those who need the deposit money really bad.

Reactions: skitown
I never saw a heated steering wheel as a feature I would pay for until my wife got a used 2014 LEAF. I will say living in a very cold at times location, it is a very nice feature.

If Tesla is supposedly a luxury car manufacturer, then shouldn't these luxury features at least be an option? People comment I'm being asked to pay an extra $1000 for any color of paint other than black because this isnt a Toyota. Yet my three year old cheap electric car has this feature standard.

I have a hard time seeing this as an oversight. This is a great supplement for electric cars in winter. I'm going to be greatly disappointed in this luxury car manufacturer if it isn't an option even if it is just at the start of production.
Make Elon live in Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin during February and you'll see heated wheel show up as options quickly. I honestly think some of the lack of: -heated wheels and -ventilated seats has to do with Tesla being based out of climates milder than the extremes of Minnesota/Arizona.

For those who dismissed the heated steering wheel feature, you are lucky to be in a climate which does not need it or you haven't tried it.

For me, heated steering wheel is right up at the TOP of my required feature - to the point that I may not buy the Model 3 if it does not have that feature.
Yes, it is THAT important to me.
Though I am doubtful, but I am willing to check out if a pre-heat cabin would reduce the need for heated steering wheel.

And has a dangling cord from the steering wheel? NO, THANKS!

The missing Homelink is also disappointing, but I can still deal with it.
OTOH, the missing heated steering wheel could be a deal breaker for me.

Huh? I saw specs that listed homelink with PUP

I always laugh when I see comments on how cold weather things aren't a concern to Tesla because it's in California. Hate to tell you guys but California has many different climates including mountains with snow on them and not far from Fremont. Not all surf and sandy hot beaches and skiing, snow skiing is big here even in the SF bay area which has a few snow ski resorts to frequent. Tahoe is an easy drive. Heck a few years ago even the south SF bay experienced 25F and historically has been as low as 20F in my south bay area. Our car windows get frost or iced over and need a defroster or ice scraper a lot of winter mornings. Lassen State Park just on Friday I think it was announced it had cleared the road through it...took 4 months and snow as deep as 25 feet.

Right, we should say a Silicon Valley company instead of California. 25F? I don't think I'd even care about heated steering wheels at 25F. The car heater is fine. -10, -20, -30F; these are harder.

Yeah, sure. "Gloves". Everybody, please wear goggles because we're not including a windshield. Simple solution; this isn't rocket science.

It's not just $40k. It's a $40k car with 25% gross profit margins. @AnxietyRanger is right: we should just call it out as a compromise and not defend Tesla for a silly omission (if it is one; we'll have to wait until the config goes live). Most of you sound like the people who defended the two cupholders in 2012. "Uh, stop buying drinks. They're cheaper to make at home, anyways. You shouldn't even be drinking in the car. Who is drinking in a $75k car? This is real luxury, mates; leave your sippy cups at home. Why can't you just share drinks with the other people--this builds community and fellowship."

I imagine, with enough interest (if it is missing), they'll add this in the refresh of the Model 3.

Make Elon live in Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin during February and you'll see heated wheel show up as options quickly. I honestly think some of the lack of: -heated wheels and -ventilated seats has to do with Tesla being based out of climates milder than the extremes of Minnesota/Arizona.

I agree, I think this totally had to do with where they designed the vehicle. I'm sure in California a heated steering wheel isn't a big deal but for those of us who suffer through real winters it's a huge positive when it comes to options. I'm very disappointed that it's missing as most cars in this price range seem to offer them. My wife's car has a heated steering wheel and I use it when I drive her car and love it, I even use it on cool summer evenings sometimes.

It's a feature that you don't think is that important until you have it and then when you do you see how it makes the car that much better.