Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Key for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my wife's keyless entry / start. But as a computer security expert, I want a car that can't be broken into with a signal amplifier, as most (all?) current ones can be.
I'd really love two ways to get into my car - the token in my pocket, or my phone. I'd really love a second factor-say a fingerprint sensor on the doorknob or on the start button on the dash.

I love my wife's keyless entry / start. But as a computer security expert, I want a car that can't be broken into with a signal amplifier, as most (all?) current ones can be.
I'd really love two ways to get into my car - the token in my pocket, or my phone. I'd really love a second factor-say a fingerprint sensor on the doorknob or on the start button on the dash.
What about the MX fob?

Start button?

Jaguar is offering an 'active key' on their new F-Pace that's supposedly waterproof. Here's a pointlessly stylized YouTube video demonstrating it.

Personally, I think the Ford/Lincoln approach of having a keypad integrated into the driver's door is awesome, and I've been disappointed that more automakers haven't adopted it (maybe a patent issue?). As a trail runner, I often drive somewhere to start my run, and I don't run with my phone, so I have to take my car key with me. I have run with the Model S key, but I definitely still feel it in my shorts' pocket. The best ones have been either the wallet keys (super slim) or when the keyless pads can be disconnected from the actual car key (think GM/Toyota in the early 2000s). I've found keys/fobs have started to get needlessly bulky, and I hope Tesla offers a slimmer version of the fob.