Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Loaners at Tesla Service "Bring back the LOANER CARS!!!!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving a lovely 2015 MS 85d loaner now from Dedham, Massachusetts and have been watching the progress on my car via my app. Plus I received an update phone call from them today. I've only had wonderful experiences with Dedham. I think if Tesla did monthly or annual outstanding service center awards Dedham would win hands down.
I've had generally good service from Dedham as well. Sometimes a bit hard to contact, but overall good. Waltham is totally slammed and the last time I was there it was Uber for me.

Perhaps they should just loan out Toyotas so we can all be reminded of how bad it is to go back to an ICE car after driving a Tesla ? (j/k)

--Tim

And they do. So many new Tesla owners now especially where I live, It's very common to see a Tesla on the road here. Luckily for me I've always had a (Tesla) loaner but a friend of mine who just took his P3D for a warranty service was loaned... wait for it... a 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid from Enterprise! At least the car only had 2000 miles. He sure did miss his Tesla and swore never to buy another car that's not a Tesla ever again. So it seems like a good idea to actually loan an ICE to Tesla customers so they can actually appreciate what a technological marvel they have instead of focusing on the "bad build quality" many new Model 3 owners have been up in arms with. OVERHEARD AT AN SC: "My Honda Accord never had issues like that!" - New Model 3 Owner complaining about their car's "horrible" paint job (read: a slight color fade on the underside of the door sill) - a black Tesla Model 3.

FWIW, my Kia requires service, they give me a loaner (yes, a lowly Kia). I must drive it there, but they offer a loaner OR they will take you home AND pick you up when your car is done (they don’t deliver your car). Lincoln, for any service, they send someone to your location to pick up your car and give you the car they came out in. Service completed, reverse the process. My Chrysler/Dodge dealer has a staffed food bar, everything free. Same at the Ford dealer. BTW, these dealers sell some very low-cost vehicles...and have parts available. For me, service is a huge part of the ownership experience. Tesla, fool me once...

I took my Model 3 into my Indianapolis Tesla service center yesterday to get my lumbar system fixed. They gave me a Model S as a loaner ... and they got my car back to me before noon! OUTSTANDING SERVICE, couldn't be more pleased with the folks and their service. I don't know why some folks are having a non-loaner issue (maybe they've just sold every single one of their used cars and just don't have anything left on the lot???) <grin>

I've owned a 2012 Model S since May of 2016. I have to say that the service back then was on par with or better than any other car service that I've had. Yes this was the most expensive car I've ever owned, but prior treatment while in service and functions of the car made it all worth while.

Recently my car failed from the common failed drivers door handle and the frozen touch screen. I used the app to schedule a service like normal. Since my car is still under warranty I expected to just drop my car off and pick up the loaner car a always. Well this time I was advise if I receive a voucher for Uber. Wait, "what!" I advised the service department that Uber would not work in my situation do to job and having to make multiple stops. So now I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out the most efficient way to get my car repaired under warranty. Do I take days off work or hope that they can repair problems over the weekend?

I'm wondering what others are doing about this situation.

I use to think that I'd be in the Tesla family for life, but this is a deal breaker.

This is just one more example of Tesla not knowing how to be a car company. It was for that reason and their inability to fix many problems that I turned in my leased 2015 $120,500 P90D when it was 2.5 year old, six months ahead of time, writing a check for $9,000 in the process and went back to owning Mercedes. At Mercedes, it doesn't matter which model you own, or how old it is, you get a Mercedes loaner car. They know how to run a car company, and they are bringing out EVs.

This is part of Tesla transitioning from a luxury brand to a production-focused manufacturer. Remember that the master plan was to raise funding by selling high-end cars so that they could produce the mass market versions. We had the privilege to drive these cars first, but that time a come and gone.

My Chevy dealer still gives me a loaner when I bring my 3 year old Colorado in for routine service.

I was also surprised at this change of no loaners. I did get a $100 Uber voucher for a $175 service. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it did the job.
Also, wasn't thrilled that my car wouldn't be washed and before all the tree huggers reply, yes, I support water conservation, especially in California. Just a nice perk I'm accustomed to and I dropped the car off in particularly dirty condition. Also, did they really charge me $62 for wiper blades?

Rambling : I started out back in 2013 with an 85 model S. Wow.....the service was, as others have noted, exceptional. At some point the loaners became autopilot models and by gosh their plan worked! I wanted my own autopilot 100 performance model! So, by the end of 2016, they get thousands of $$$$ more out of me (happily) for a P100D model S with pretty much all the bells and whistles. (specifically two bells and six whistles). Lesson: The whole loaner process was way cool and seemed to be a win win as they convinced me to buy another big $$$$ Tesla without firing a single shot (this analogy = "what will it take to get you into this car today" -- example of one shot not fired)

Then..... a steady decline in service.

Over the years a few of the same SC staff who became friends in the beginning still have management positions in the SC I go to. (dangling preposition). I often wonder how they could transition (what it must have felt like) from a service center that was amazing with customers wafting praise on them like farmers lovingly spread fresh manure (maybe not the best analogy) TO ----> a place where customers seem forever angry and at times huddled together around a campfire outside the facility sharing horror stories of Tesla service. From the initial reach out over the phone ("there will be a 45 minute wait...") to the subsequent online service scheduling ("the first available service window is outside your life expectancy" ), and on to the almost inevitable parts delay ...it has become very stressful. At some point the SC staff seemed overwhelmed and resigned to poor service. Several times I had a technician come for a "ride along" (similar to a police ride along ...car chases and spin-outs) ...where I got to ask about the environment at the SC. A common story from the techs was how cars were almost literally stacked on top of each other with techs bumping elbows....hard to get anything done.

Steady decline leading to UBER VOUCHERS? Sounds like a bad joke ("two Tesla service consultants walk into a bar holding Uber vouchers. The bartender says:______") (finish that sentence contest! Try it!) (I know..too many parenthetical's..but...but I love them)

Others have talked about "white glove" service. I just compare the experience to my Toyota truck service locally. Loaners for all, one hour service for many items, fair pricing, parts available, vehicles washed and vacuumed, back rubs and lattes ..... OK, maybe the comparison is not fair given that Tesla is a young car... rocket... boring machine.... solar panel... insurance company.

As the service declines one wonders (the royal "we") .....where is the bottom? Loaner bicycles? Free calls to neighbors to see who will give rides? Bus tokens?

End of rambling. Sort of. Apologies to any innocents I may have offended. And yes...the love I have for my Tesla with the everyday thrill of driving makes me endure the service situation. In Elon we trust. "Thank you sir, can I have another?" (the new roadster???)

My brand new Tesla needed some body adjustments work which was agreed upon when I received the car. So when I took it to the body shop two weeks after purchase, I asked for a loaner and was told the me the same response “can’t do but we have Uber credits”. Long story short, after asking nicely manager came around and offered to pay for my rental. The lesson learned here is if you persistently ask for it, they will cover your rental.

I'm driving a lovely 2015 MS 85d loaner now from Dedham, Massachusetts and have been watching the progress on my car via my app. Plus I received an update phone call from them today. I've only had wonderful experiences with Dedham. I think if Tesla did monthly or annual outstanding service center awards Dedham would win hands down.

My experience there as well, so far. Yes, sometimes they get busy and have not done a wash. But otherwise, no complaints in 4 years.
Fingers crossed!

I've owned a 2012 Model S since May of 2016. I have to say that the service back then was on par with or better than any other car service that I've had. Yes this was the most expensive car I've ever owned, but prior treatment while in service and functions of the car made it all worth while.

Recently my car failed from the common failed drivers door handle and the frozen touch screen. I used the app to schedule a service like normal. Since my car is still under warranty I expected to just drop my car off and pick up the loaner car a always. Well this time I was advise if I receive a voucher for Uber. Wait, "what!" I advised the service department that Uber would not work in my situation do to job and having to make multiple stops. So now I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out the most efficient way to get my car repaired under warranty. Do I take days off work or hope that they can repair problems over the weekend?

I'm wondering what others are doing about this situation.

I use to think that I'd be in the Tesla family for life, but this is a deal breaker.

Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and your State Attorney General.

Depending upon all the issues that you're having you might want to make a complaint to:

Tesla Warranty Page 13 through 15

Dispute Resolution Through the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDS)

In the event that an amicable settlement is not reached, Tesla offers an optional dispute

settlement program through:

NATIONAL CENTER FOR DISPUTE SETTLEMENT (“NCDS”)

P.O. Box 526

Mt. Clemens, MI 48046

1-866-629-3204

This dispute settlement program administered by NCDS is free of charge to you and is conducted by local NCDS professionals who are trained and experienced in mediation and arbitration.

NCDS resolves disputes involving this New Vehicle Limited Warranty which arise during the applicable warranty period specified in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Contact the law office of Edward Chen. He has a class-action lawsuit for the range issue. Perhaps he'll look at other issues. Edward Chen (949) 287-4278.

I agree with you 100% on every single point that you've made. I never thought I'd change my mind about Tesla. I never imagined ever buying any other vehicle other than a Tesla for the rest of my life. Now, I can't imagine ever buying another Tesla again. My plans to buy a Tesla semi and Tesla truck are off the table.

Tesla tried to charge me $189 for "education" to explain why I lost 50-miles of range almost overnight. Tesla service centers are all corporate-owned, but they operate as if they are independent businesses. The Seattle service center won't allow an owner to call them. You can only use the app and go in person. They threaten that your warranty will be void if you don't complete part replacements. They are independently operating as rogue cowboys.

Tesla cannot unilaterally change the terms after agreeing to them. Tesla announced, by email to owners, that the Tesla Warranty would include loaners.

Here is an article announcing Tesla's new warranty that includes loaners. This smart change was made to stimulate sales and it did. The unlimited battery warranty and the loaner warranty made me trust Tesla and caused me to buy a Tesla. If the unlimited warranty hadn't been announced, and loaners weren't included, I wouldn't have purchased a Tesla.

Model S
Tesla Announces Unlimited Mileage Battery Warranty

Tesla Announces Unlimited Mileage Battery Warranty

By Teslarati Network
Posted on April 26, 2013

“Better yet, Tesla also announced a service loaner program in which if an owner’s Model S needs to go in for service, the company will deliver a fully decked out Model S as a loaner until the original is repaired."

“Tesla Model S Warranty

• Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners

• Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location

• $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty

• Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error”

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't necessarily disagree with your broader point, but it sounds like OP bought a 4 year old used car and now wants the $100k white glove treatment on a budget.

I think this speaks pretty clearly to why there are challenges with the sustainability of this model.
To further back up what Hank said, these are from before your time here (and many others in this thread), from 2013, direct from Elon:
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program | Blog | Tesla Motors

To further back up what Hank said, these are from before your time here (and many others in this thread), from 2013, direct from Elon:
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program | Blog | Tesla Motors

Thanks for posting... I am taking a copy of Elon's memo to discuss with the local Service Manager.

upload_2019-8-31_20-32-28.png

you mean luxury brand pricing at production focused service.Its sad really. Drop all the model 3/x/and s priced down to 30-60k and then i can see the issue a no brainer.
Tesla is still in the luxury car market with the s, x and roadster. Those customers will be treated to same or better loaners. The mass market 3 customers will be treated to Uber to from the service center. Customers will learn that what they are entitled to in service has some relation to how much they paid for the car. Kinda like Life, yes?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks for posting... I am taking a copy of Elon's memo to discuss with the local Service Manager.

View attachment 448963

Note the headline — two different programs. One is the legally binding warranty that is effectively a contract provision between seller and buyer. While the other (the loaner policy) is a corporate policy, that is not specifically part of the warranty (notwithstanding Teslarati’s article that erroneously conflated the two policies.).

But shhh I won’t tell your Service Manager and good luck.

Tesla is still in the luxury car market with the s, x and roadster. Those customers will be treated to same or better loaners. The mass market 3 customers will be treated to Uber to from the service center. Customers will learn that what they are entitled to in service has some relation to how much they paid for the car. Kinda like Life, yes?

No. Most dealers do not hand out loaners based on how much you spent on the car being serviced. This is not a good business practice.

No. Most dealers do not hand out loaners based on how much you spent on the car being serviced. This is not a good business practice.
With personal experience of about 22 years between Toyota and Nissan + my parents having some more w/those brands and other non-luxury brands, I can say that you can't count on a loaner or rental from non-luxury brands.

I've received a loaner/rental I think a whopping 1 time from a Toyota dealer (was a Camry Hybrid) and under 4 times from Nissan dealers (I can remember an ugly shade of blue Altima, a Geo Metro 4-cylinder rental and possibly one more car).

In some cases, w/some more expensive services the dealer will advertise a "free" loaner is included. If the above dealer needs to keep your car overnight or longer (not due to bringing in the car too late in the day), they may provide a loaner, but you may actually have to return to the dealer for it. That was the case for the Camry Hybrid. Dealer wanted to keep my car overnight to repro an issue that might require a cold soak (it did).

It seems to be more of a norm for luxury brands (e.g. Audi, BMW and Lexus) to provide service loaners.