Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaners? Tesla offered me Uber during Covid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems location is key. Received a text from Tesla that in Southern CA it's practically impossible. Did you ask for the loaner?

yea forget it. no loaners in la. i've gotten uber for the past year or so, some for small work some for big work. they give you like $300 a day right for uber and will give you more if you run out. if you live in the busy part of LA like downtown, i believe theres availability for high end ubers (rolls royce, limos) that you can call? i keep trying that option but since i dont live in the crowded area it keeps telling me no uber available in that class

yea forget it. no loaners in la. i've gotten uber for the past year or so, some for small work some for big work. they give you like $300 a day right for uber and will give you more if you run out. if you live in the busy part of LA like downtown, i believe theres availability for high end ubers (rolls royce, limos) that you can call? i keep trying that option but since i dont live in the crowded area it keeps telling me no uber available in that class

Thanks for telling me. Nothing for Uber for high-end like what you described, I just checked. Would have been nice. I keep reading they give you $100, not $300. Once I sort this out at Tesla, I will call Uber SUV so that I can sit way in the back and roll all the windows down and pray I don't get covid meanwhile, or have any work appointments to go to. As a woman and for safety reasons, even pre-covid I only used Uber if I absolutely had to.

I arranged for transportation home on my own from Tesla Syosset NY because they said they have no loaners and only offer Uber credits. Fine, it was the weekend and they said the autopilot upgrade would be compete in one day. Then they call to let me know it’s going to take well into next week so they can diagnose a door issue. Now they tell me they forgot to order a part for the upgrade and they don’t know how long it will take. My only options are Uber credit (during a pandemic) or I pickup the car and reschedule. They offer no loaner and take no respnability for their mistake. I would expect least they could do is offer to bring my model X back to me so I don’t have to drive for a hour due to their negligence. Nope, nothing. Offering Uber is insulting, they are not being responsible and obviously don’t care about their customers health and concerns. So disappointing.

Last edited:
Tesla now only does Uber credits, unless it has a loaner that hasn't been sold. Given the bare-bones customer service, don't expect it to have a back-up for anything.

But, really it's irrelevant that there's COVID, I wouldn't want an Uber because I think the business model is worse than a joke, being built on massive loss-leading, which could only possibly be recovered by building a future exploitative monopoly.

Depends on the service center. Clarkston MI gave me a loaner last month. Just make sure to request one when you setup the Appt in the app and make it for first Appt in the morning.

In these times of Covid, sending out loaner cars carry a tremendous liability. If someone, who has been given a loaner, comes down with the Virus Tesla would have a hard time proving you did not contract it when driving their loaners.

When you bring your loaner back, Tesla has no way of knowing if someone positive for Covid has been inside that car. No way to 100% clean that sneaky virus.

Totally understandable that they would wish to reduce to an absolute minimum the number of loaners/rentals they would send out.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Tesla was losing money. Now it's making a tiny profit.

Hope that Model Y is successful, and then perhaps Tesla will spend some money on customer service.

Maybe.
They've been cutting corners everywhere to make that tiny profit - reducing warranty coverages, removing loaners, charging diagnostic fees to detract customers from bringing in problems that do not reliably reproduce at the sc, etc, etc. The problem is that their model of ship it first, fix it later, doesn't scale to the volumes of M3 and MY, so the level of service provided in the past for MS and MX is not not sustainable. I think Elon likes to put the cart ahead of the horse. For example in his mind level 5 FSD is coming any day now and he's putting in games today to keep the driver occupied while the car is driving itself, even though the reality is FSD is nowhere near this level. Service is similar, Elon planned a million mile car, thinking service will not be needed but for very few cars, maybe a nice side revenue stream changing tires, brakes, wiper blades, and other consumables. Unfortunately, just like with FSD, million mile car is not here yet, leaving this gaping hole in service needs. Their production quality wasn't very consistent to begin with, but apparently with scale they got worse:
Tesla ranks dead last in latest auto quality survey

They've been cutting corners everywhere to make that tiny profit - reducing warranty coverages, removing loaners, charging diagnostic fees to detract customers from bringing in problems that do not reliably reproduce at the sc, etc, etc. The problem is that their model of ship it first, fix it later, doesn't scale to the volumes of M3 and MY, so the level of service provided in the past for MS and MX is not not sustainable. I think Elon likes to put the cart ahead of the horse. For example in his mind level 5 FSD is coming any day now and he's putting in games today to keep the driver occupied while the car is driving itself, even though the reality is FSD is nowhere near this level. Service is similar, Elon planned a million mile car, thinking service will not be needed but for very few cars, maybe a nice side revenue stream changing tires, brakes, wiper blades, and other consumables. Unfortunately, just like with FSD, million mile car is not here yet, leaving this gaping hole in service needs. Their production quality wasn't very consistent to begin with, but apparently with scale they got worse:
Tesla ranks dead last in latest auto quality survey

This video does a pretty good job in explaining the JD survey and how it works. And it doesn’t necessarily mean “quality issues” like that article headline implies. Tesla is not mentioned in the video but still applicable.

Basically, If the vehicle doesn’t work they way they want it to work, have difficulty using it or don’t know how, it’s counted against the manufacturer. Vehicles with less tech tend to do better in the survey because it’s more straightforward for the user. Infotainment “issues” account for about 25% of the results.

As far as real issues, a paint defect is weighted the same as an engine failure.

Now I do agree that Tesla has quality issues but are often minor and can be fixed in a few hours with service. Should it be necessary? No. But once again, not the “OMG, Tesla is absolutely horrendous” as some people like to make them out to be.

And that article quotes Anton Wahlman? Really? Might as well ask the devil what he thinks about God.

Last edited:
In these times of Covid, sending out loaner cars carry a tremendous liability. If someone, who has been given a loaner, comes down with the Virus Tesla would have a hard time proving you did not contract it when driving their loaners.

When you bring your loaner back, Tesla has no way of knowing if someone positive for Covid has been inside that car. No way to 100% clean that sneaky virus.

Totally understandable that they would wish to reduce to an absolute minimum the number of loaners/rentals they would send out.
As soon as I started reading this thread I knew this guy will be here defending this BS.
So do they test all those employees that touch and work in our cars? How often do they test?
I am currently experiencing the other worst part of dealing with Tesla's used sales department. Paid for reservation and transportation fee on a price mistake used MX and now no one is even replying to my questions or even refunding it back.
Absolutely shitty customer service.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd

Oh is that how litigation works? The entity being sued has to prove their innocence?

Because in that case I’m suing the local hospital, few days after visiting the hospital I got pneumonia. I visited a ton of other places but none of them have the money the hospital does... I mean none of them could have gotten me sick!

As soon as I started reading this thread I knew this guy will be here defending this BS.
So do they test all those employees that touch and work in our cars? How often do they test?
I am currently experiencing the other worst part of dealing with Tesla's used sales department. Paid for reservation and transportation fee on a price mistake used MX and now no one is even replying to my questions or even refunding it back.
Absolutely shitty customer service.

Yes their responsiveness can be bad, no doubt. Especially during the end of quarter push. But you’ll get your money back. Will probably just take a bit longer than it should.

Oh is that how litigation works? The entity being sued has to prove their innocence?

Because in that case I’m suing the local hospital, few days after visiting the hospital I got pneumonia. I visited a ton of other places but none of them have the money the hospital does... I mean none of them could have gotten me sick!

You might be in luck!

Is the hospital liable for my infection if it was diagnosed after I was discharged?
If you end up with an infection within a week or two of being discharged from the hospital there is a good chance that you were exposed to bacteria in the hospital or in follow-up treatment during in-office care. If you are unsure about whether your infection was caused by the hospital’s negligence then speaking to a medical malpractice lawyer should be your next step. He or she will gather and review your medical records to see if delayed diagnosis or negligent care were the cause of your infection.”

When Can You Sue for Hospital Infections?

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and AMPd
You might be in luck!

Is the hospital liable for my infection if it was diagnosed after I was discharged?
If you end up with an infection within a week or two of being discharged from the hospital there is a good chance that you were exposed to bacteria in the hospital or in follow-up treatment during in-office care. If you are unsure about whether your infection was caused by the hospital’s negligence then speaking to a medical malpractice lawyer should be your next step. He or she will gather and review your medical records to see if delayed diagnosis or negligent care were the cause of your infection.”

When Can You Sue for Hospital Infections?
Cha Ching!

• Funny
Reactions: BrokerDon and SO16
My car has a crack in the top roof, Tesla texted me "loaners are few & far between".
Service center couldn't help either, but they will send me in an Uber during Covid!!
Didn't even offer to get me a car rental, regardless if I pay. Didn't give me the option.

I got also my roof replaced. I receive a text message with a $200 Uber coupon at 8 am and another $200 Uber at 4 pm.

I used a bus instead, the bus was electric, but I could have rented a Zipcar for less than if I have been using Uber.

So, yes I wish we could rent a car instead of getting Uber coupons.

Now I do agree that Tesla has quality issues but are often minor and can be fixed in a few hours with service. Should it be necessary? No. But once again, not the “OMG, Tesla is absolutely horrendous” as some people like to make them out to be.
Actually, what makes it horrendous is the few hours of service necessary to correct factory or engineering issues. With almost any other manufacturer, this would not be an issue, you'd schedule an appointment, come in, if the appointment is an hour or two you can wait, and if not you get a loaner (the allotted Uber credit doesn't even cover my round trip home and back btw). With Tesla, even an hour of actual work (acknowledged by service advisor after diagnosis) appointment turns into "drop it off, no loaner, it will take up to 4 days because we don't actually schedule time in the shop". Now multiply that experience by the number of hours needed to fix all the factory deficiencies and you get the picture. Let's not forget that if your issue does not reproduce during the service center admission, they now charge you $200/hr diagnostic fee, even if you come with a video showing the issue occurring.

The above is the main thing which completely turns me off of buying more Teslas. The other things are perma-beta and constant experimenting on customers without covering the damage caused (after all, customer agreed to drive a beta car), the recent narrowing of warranty coverages, and complete BS weaseling out of what they advertised with excuses such as "yea, the horsepower we advertised was just for the actual motor, but that motor would have to be in a completely different car than the one we sold you in order to produce anywhere near the advertised horsepower - too bad you thought otherwise based on our official specifications". I still have the 691hp capable winshield, and hood, but not actual car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up