Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

1) Hard Reboot (Dozens of times)
2) Power Off in the menu
3) No 3rd party apps and even changed my Tesla password.
4) Disconnected USB devices
5) Switched from V3 wall connector to mobile connector
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Wondering if anyone has experienced the car never going to sleep when plugged in since most recent update. Car will thump every 2 minutes and the app is instantly usable every time I've tried. Usually app will take 5-10 seconds before it usable. I am currently losing 20 miles per day since it is never sleeping. Tesla mobile came out and said nothing was wrong. has anyone else experienced this recently?

(moderator note: removed links to reddit posts since there is a thread on this topic already here at TMC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Ah, my bad I saw there was already a thread on it here:

Sorry about that, but would still be thankful if anyone has other insights

(moderator note: posts moved into thread on same topic)

Upvote 1
Just adding my experience. I also unplugged it and it's showing 0mi loss after 5 hours then a second time no loss after 3 hours. No 3rd party software and those were the only times I've checked the app. Cold garage... car around 55f. Clearly something with being plugged in on latest software. I'm going to unplug after charge for now. I've notified service... this prevents me from using schedule charge.

Upvote 0
Let's see if we can identify a common denominator for the cars that have the problem. I will start:

1. Model/type/features: 2018 Model 3 LR AWD; HW2.5; basic autopilot; no FSD; no performance boost.
2. Current mileage: 25k.
3. Current firmware version: 2021.4.12.
4. Firmware version when the problem started: 2021.4.11.
5. Third-party app collecting data: Teslamate since May 2020.
6. Charging source: 15A/120V outlet.
7. Charging habit: Plugged in whenever the car is in the garage; charging limit set at 84% (or 250 rated miles).
8. Supercharging history: Supercharged between 5 - 10 times since purchase.; last one was 6 months ago.
9. Driving patterns: Two to three drives a day; fewer than 40 total miles on most days.
10. Please share other aspects about your car that you think may be relevant.

Please chime in. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Let's see if we can identify a common denominator for the cars that have the problem. I will start:

1. Model/type/features: 2018 Model 3 LR AWD; HW2.5; basic autopilot; no FSD; no performance boost.
7. Charging habit: Plugged in whenever the car is in the garage; charging limit set at 84% (or 250 rated miles).
8. Supercharging history: Supercharged between 5 - 10 times since purchase.; last one was 6 months ago.
9. Driving patterns: Two to three drives a day; fewer than 40 total miles on most days.

Please chime in. Thanks!
1 2019 Performance, FSD, HW3
2 10.7k
3 2021.4.12
4 2021.4.3
5 None
6 Gen 2 HPWC
7 Normally plugged in @ 80%
8 Last supercharge was probably in November
9 Cars been in winter storage since November, probably driven 150 miles since then.

We’re pretty opposite 😂

• Informative
Reactions: datoda
Upvote 0
Z

Please chime in. Thanks!
1. Model/type/features: 2018 Model 3 LR AWD; Shipped with HW2.5 upgraded to 3.0 last year; with FSD; no performance boost.
2. Current mileage: 28k.
5. Third-party app collecting data: Nikola. (Disabled it with no change And reset Tesla PW)
6. Charging source: Gen 3 wall charger 48A, Nema 6-20P and 15A/120V outlet.
7. Charging habit: Plugged in whenever the car is in the garage (before this, will only sleep if unplugged now) charging limit set at 80% scheduled to start at 4AM, but have upped to 90% in hopes of balancing the pack. disabled scheduled charging with no change when the issue started.
8. Supercharging history: Supercharged between 15-25 times since purchase.; last one was a week ago.
9. Driving patterns: currently 1-2 drives every other day.
10. Connected to WiFi at home. My mom linked her account to mine so I can use my phone key if needed and she has a 2019 model 3 AWD + FSD (sadly identical to mine ☹️ ). it sleeps fine both with and without 3rd party apps Installed at my end. Similar charging habits. One note, I went straight from 2020.48.x to 2021.4.11 . My mom‘s car, without the issue, got a 2021.4.x Build that I did not get prior to 2021.4.11

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: datoda
Upvote 0
My SR+ doesn't go to sleep when plugged in and charging. If it has reached the max defined SOC, then it will then go to sleep, even if still plugged in. Not sure if this is the right behavior, but I only noticed this starting in 2021.4.6. I am currently on 2021.4.12.

1. 2020 SR+, HW3
2. 6.5k miles
3. 2021.4.12
4. 2021.4.6
5. None
6. 120v Outlet
7. Normally plugged in between 70 and 80 percent
8. Last supercharge was February 28th
9. Car is typically driven 5-10 miles per day

Upvote 0

Please chime in. Thanks!
1. 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, HW 2.5, AP, no FSD, no accel boost.
2. 25.5k miles
3. 2021.4.12
4. 2021.4.11. The installed prior version, 2020.48.35.5, did not have this problem.
5. TeslaFi since November 2020, turned off for past 2-3 days after modifying TeslaFi sleep settings was unsuccessful. Problem persists.
6. Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector (18’) on 60A breaker (48A charge)
7. Plugged in all the time at home. Scheduled departure for 7:00 AM, no preconditioning. Now unplugging during the day as a temporary fix.
8. Supercharged less than 10 times since buying new in October 2018. Last SC was in November.
9. Working from home lately, short drives around town about every other day.
10. Tried turning cabin overheat protection off (usually on with A/C), touchscreen reboots, power cycles, and one battery disconnect. No fix yet. I have a service appointment scheduled for 4/3, but I doubt they’ll be able to do anything that will fix it on the hardware side, from what I’ve read. Also, my battery percentage seems to fluctuate both up and down after finishing a charge (has been the case for a few months, before this issue started)

• Informative
Reactions: datoda and TMXATX
Upvote 0
Has anyone here with a Model 3 tried this? I did, and my car still did the sleep/wake shuffle.
This also did not work for me.

What prompted my post was the fact I left on a trip with the car plugged in set to 50% on the charge slider. Actual SOC was 70% when I left. Expected it to just sleep like always. Instead it cycled on and off for days until I turned on sentry mode to stop the constant relay clunks - it was not sleeping anyway. When I returned, unplugging it as suggested above did finally let it sleep. The only workaround I've found that helped so far with my car.

Upvote 0