Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model X at the NAIAS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, what is going to be shown in Austin is nothing new. In Detroit Elon was clear that the X will be shown I. Final form "this summer".

Pretty sure he said deliveries begin "this summer" and no timeframe was given on when the final design will be shown. If the Model X isn't shown until summer there is no way deliveries will happen in Q3 (most of Q3 is in the "summer").

I think looking at the P85D introduction timing could be used as a template for the Model X. Elon Musk tweeted about the D on October 1, the actual introduction was October 9, and initial customer deliveries was December.

Take that to the X, working backwards. Initial customer deliveries in September (last month that could be construed as summer). That means early July introduction/unveiling at the latest. Given that it is a different model, Tesla may feel the need to show it off for a bit longer. Therefore, the date range is likely between May and July for the unveiling using this method.

I think looking at the P85D introduction timing could be used as a template for the Model X. Elon Musk tweeted about the D on October 1, the actual introduction was October 9, and initial customer deliveries was December.

Take that to the X, working backwards. Initial customer deliveries in September (last month that could be construed as summer). That means early July introduction/unveiling at the latest. Given that it is a different model, Tesla may feel the need to show it off for a bit longer. Therefore, the date range is likely between May and July for the unveiling using this method.

That was just an upgrade on an existing model though. I think there would be more lead time on the X, especially since there's a lot of reservation holders out there that need to make a decision on whether or not to buy, and if they are buying, they'll need time to get educated and decide on options etc.

I'm thinking late Feb through March might make a good time for a reveal, with token deliveries in early July.

I'm not sure what thread this belongs in, but since this one relates to both Model X and NAIAS, it's as good as any! Did anyone else catch Musk's response in yesterday's interview (around 29:00) when asked about the X?

I'm confident that the Model X is really going to be a phenomenal car.

...We're being cautious ... about the doors...

This car is... really good. I do not say these things lightly. I'm very self-critical of my own stuff and I really think this is gonna be something special.

We didn't get a peek yet, but those comments sound as if the X has come together as well as Musk hoped.

Don't parts of Texas have temperatures above 100F on a regular basis, like almost every day? Or does this have to be sustained night and day?

Not something to worry about with a Tesla. The compressor will start up automatically and cool the battery pack if temps get too high. Even up there in Toronto you can see/hear for yourself as the car does the same thing when plugged in to a SuperCharger.

I'm affraid Tesla's batteries won't last long in Dubai. Temperatures over 40C or 100F will kill batteries fast.

You clearly haven't spent much time in the Sacramento area during July. We'll have more than a few weeks of 100+ temps straight in the summer. It gets so hot that there are times when I'm heading to the pool, the dogs stick their heads outside, feel the heat, and say 'no thanks!' and head back in the house.

(And my Roadster battery is doing just fine.)